Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a PC from UK or paying 3 x more for one in oz.

Importing a PC from UK or paying 3 x more for one in oz.

Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default Importing a PC from UK or paying 3 x more for one in oz.

Has anyone ever had experience of importing a PC from the UK. I've been looking over here and can't find the spec I want anywhere for less than $2000. Meanwhile sites such as play.com are offering the same specs for about £450. I can't find anyone that wil deliver to oz, therefore not having to pay 20% VAT. I can however have one delivered to my parents and then sent out here. Are there any tax implications in doing this and is it legal here.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a PC from UK or paying 3 x more for one in oz.

Originally Posted by martin1978
Has anyone ever had experience of importing a PC from the UK. I've been looking over here and can't find the spec I want anywhere for less than $2000. Meanwhile sites such as play.com are offering the same specs for about £450. I can't find anyone that wil deliver to oz, therefore not having to pay 20% VAT. I can however have one delivered to my parents and then sent out here. Are there any tax implications in doing this and is it legal here.
You'd probably be liable to pay import duty in Australia because even though 450 quid lis less than $1000 they will value it at the Aussie rip off price which will be over the $1000 threshold and want their slice of the action.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking custom built or off the shelf prices , seems contrary to my experience with all computer hardware here in Perth.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Check with MSY shop, they will build one to your spec and prices are pretty good.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

post a link to the gbp450 pc that you like on Play. I don't believe the cheapest here is $2000!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
post a link to the gbp450 pc that you like on Play. I don't believe the cheapest here is $2000!
I agree. Computers and components are generally no more expensive here and are often cheaper.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You'd probably be liable to pay import duty in Australia because even though 450 quid lis less than $1000 they will value it at the Aussie rip off price which will be over the $1000 threshold and want their slice of the action.
Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that import taxes/GST are based on what you have actually paid and not an equivalent Australian value. If this is not the case, I have been getting away with a lot over the last 6 years.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that import taxes/GST are based on what you have actually paid and not an equivalent Australian value. If this is not the case, I have been getting away with a lot over the last 6 years.
As I understand, if they think you've been telling porkies on the valuation, they can make up their own. However that's most likely to happen when its person-2-person. If it were, say, Amazon stating the value, they are unlikely to quibble. There is probably an appeals mechanism, but it probably lets off customs if they do attempt to steal excess duty.

I'd agree that PCs are usually one of the few things that aren't overpriced here, so provided you don't go to Hardly Normal, you should be OK finding it for $700. There will be edge cases, or course.

If you get caught in an edge case, have you looked at Amazon.de and if they will ship it at a reasonable price. In addition, most of this stuff comes from China, etc. in the first place, can you buy it from source ?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'd agree that PCs are usually one of the few things that aren't overpriced here
A lot of consumer electronics are cheaper or about the same price here.

The UK is not one of the best places in the world to buy these kind of things.

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 18th 2012 at 2:26 am.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

PC prices are generally cheaper here apart from very high GFX card. So OP your doing something wrong.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The UK is not one of the best places in the world to buy these kind of things.
Careful, I've been looking to buy a 1TB portable drive recently, so I've been checking prices.

UK Online price = £80 = $123
UK High Street price = £99.99 = $154
OZ Online price = $139
OZ High Street price = $179
(and that's with 20% VAT vs 10% GST)

Basically Oz prices are still high on the prices relative to the UK - although if you were prepared to order direct from Hong Kong it would probably be cheaper still.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand, if they think you've been telling porkies on the valuation, they can make up their own. However that's most likely to happen when its person-2-person. If it were, say, Amazon stating the value, they are unlikely to quibble. There is probably an appeals mechanism, but it probably lets off customs if they do attempt to steal excess duty.

I'd agree that PCs are usually one of the few things that aren't overpriced here, so provided you don't go to Hardly Normal, you should be OK finding it for $700. There will be edge cases, or course.

If you get caught in an edge case, have you looked at Amazon.de and if they will ship it at a reasonable price. In addition, most of this stuff comes from China, etc. in the first place, can you buy it from source ?

I was going to suggest Amazon.De too.

I didn't find much between UK and AUS prices when I was back in Blighty earlier in the year, though some specific items like fancy new Ultrabooks were significantly cheaper.

Personally, I'm waiting until I go to the US later in the year, where I intend to pick up a Samsung Slate.

S
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Basically Oz prices are still high on the prices relative to the UK
Some are, some aren't. The latest Samsung LED Smart TV is up to $1500 cheaper here.

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 18th 2012 at 2:56 am.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Careful, I've been looking to buy a 1TB portable drive recently, so I've been checking prices.

UK Online price = £80 = $123
UK High Street price = £99.99 = $154
OZ Online price = $139
OZ High Street price = $179

(and that's with 20% VAT vs 10% GST)

Basically Oz prices are still high on the prices relative to the UK - although if you were prepared to order direct from Hong Kong it would probably be cheaper still.
Depending on where you go, you can get the High Street shop to match the Online price. Infact I got Clive Peeters to price match with a US Online price a couple of years back.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/300299...7Cprd:30029997

if you can find me this for $800 I'll be happy. :-)

I was looking at the global Dell alienware sites as they are a direct comparison from the same company. For an m18. Uk £1650, US $2000, aus $4000. ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.