Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 7th 2011, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by ExPatinIndiana
Then, the USA want to take your UK passport away, though ...
This is a myth that somehow refuses to die. 1) Your passport is the property of the UK government, and the US does not have the authority to take it from you; 2) the US Oath of Allegiance says nothing about renouncing citizenship of another country; 3) The UK decides who is or is not a citizen of the UK... not the US; and 4) If what you said was true, how do you account for the many thousands of dual US/UK citizens?

Ian
Old May 7th 2011, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about it ... For me it is no big deal. My husband is American & I have never really had any issue not being. My son as young as he is, probably yes ... Might not be a bad idea.

Is your son a US citizen? You say he's aged 18 and you've been in the US for 26 years, so if he was born in the US then he's a US citizen (assuming you're not diplomats) and needs to have a US passport to re-enter the United States.

If your husband is also your son's father, son is probably also a US citizen even if he was born outside the US.

If it happens your son is not a US citizen, as he is age 18 he will need to apply (and qualify) independently of you.

Then, the USA want to take your UK passport away, though
They don't.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick65
Has anyone done the send your passport renewal to a relative in the UK. My passport expires in August and i was wondering if this way works and what the time line is, plus i believe it saves some money too
I've mentioned it, probably on this thread a few times. This is what I did, took a couple weeks, Fedex type of deal to the UK and back...I haven't changed much since my last passport, but the neighbour of my mother offered to counter sign the photo if asked, she is a retired teacher and has known me since I was 13 though.

Saves a bit of cash, but depends on the exchange rate....it's certainly quick, turn around was a couple of weeks and you get the shiny new looking passport...which is a little weird looking.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

ExPatinIndiana is an unknown quantity at this point

No ... He was born in the UK ... At the time, I was living on 2 continents as a result of my job. A few years later, I permanently relocated here in the USA. My daughter (15) is a US citizen, but my son is not. Although my son's father is, he was not living in the USA between ages 14 and 20. That has created not a unique, but an uncommon situation for my son. Even the embassy said, YES in 2005 and then several weeks into the process it came down to the fact that his Dad himself wasn't living in the USA, during those apparently important years. Why 14 to 20, I have no clue.

We just decided to go ahead, renew his Green card and deal with it later.

I guess it is the 'times' ...

Passport and visa processes anywhere are becoming longer and more difficult. I just wish that as much information as possible, was put out their on the sites. Maybe a 'tips' page ... put together from comments of customers; ~ the things they don't necessarily think of ~

We all know how important a second eye is ... AN FAQ page perhaps ... You know there are a Gazillion situations the IPS has encountered and highlighting the best, most useful on such a page, might be of great value to many! I WISH I HAD FOUND THIS FORUM before we applied for his passport! There is so much info here!

Last edited by ExPatinIndiana; May 7th 2011 at 6:39 pm.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is a myth that somehow refuses to die. 1) Your passport is the property of the UK government, and the US does not have the authority to take it from you; 2) the US Oath of Allegiance says nothing about renouncing citizenship of another country; 3) The UK decides who is or is not a citizen of the UK... not the US; and 4) If what you said was true, how do you account for the many thousands of dual US/UK citizens?

Ian
Thanks Ian ... You have a point. I assumed they just went ahead and replaced their passports, once they got US citizenship.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:49 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

No ... He was born in the UK ... At the time, I was living on 2 continents as a result of my job. A few years later, I permanently relocated here in the USA. My daughter (15) is a US citizen, but my son is not. Although my son's father is, he was not living in the USA between ages 14 and 20. That has created not a unique, but an uncommon situation for my son. Even the embassy said, YES in 2005 and then several weeks into the process it came down to the fact that his Dad himself wasn't living in the USA, during those apparently important years. Why 14 to 20, I have no clue.

We just decided to go ahead, renew his Green card and deal with it later.

I guess it is the 'times' ...

Passport and visa processes anywhere are becoming longer and more difficult. I just wish that as much information as possible, was put out their on the sites. Maybe a 'tips' page ... put together from comments of customers; ~ the things they don't necessarily think of ~

We all know how important a second eye is ... AN FAQ page perhaps ... You know there are a Gazillion situations the IPS has encountered and highlighting the best, most useful on such a page, might be of great value to many! I WISH I HAD FOUND THIS FORUM before we applied for his passport! There is so much info here!

if he gained PR status before his 18 birthday then he is probably a US citizen through his father anyway..
Old May 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Correct, during my PR interview in Indianapolis, the agent said whilst the oath states that you renounce all allegiance to any previous nation, they don't require you to physically do anything about it.

Except fight against them should the US go to war against them.
Thank you for clearing that up ... I never knew, always wondered.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by candy wy.
if he gained PR status before his 18 birthday then he is probably a US citizen through his father anyway..
No he isn't. We went through all that when he was 14. Initially, everyone thought so ... then the whole thing with his Dad living outside the USA between 14 & 20 years of age changed it all. Not sure why, or how. Like I said, it is not common, but it is real. I am not married to his father and it was not something that we were not constantly on top of ... Pursuing it before he was 18 would have been much simpler, but hindsight is 20/20.

He will just apply for citizenship like the rest.

Back to my main point, though ... The UK passport process is becoming just as much of a pain.

When I renew my UK passport - I carry Irish & Uk, I am just going to use my parent's address; seems a lot easier.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No he isn't. We went through all that when he was 14. Initially, everyone thought so ... then the whole thing with his Dad living outside the USA between 14 & 20 years of age changed it all. Not sure why, or how. Like I said, it is not common, but it is real. I am not married to his father and it was not something that we were not constantly on top of ... Pursuing it before he was 18 would have been much simpler, but hindsight is 20/20.
The fact you are not married to his father is likely the real reason, not the residence requirements (on which you are confused), see:
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html

It may well be too late to formally establish paternity for US citizenship purposes, as certain things have to be done before age 18. You would need to consult an immigration attorney to see if anything can be done on that issue.

It would probably be simpler for him to submit an N-400 and apply for citizenship independently, assuming he meets the residence and other requirements. In particular, your son should be careful not to spend too long outside the USA which can a. put his green card at risk, and b. re-set the 5 year clock for naturalisaton to zero. And if he has not registered for Selective Service, he should do so immediately. http://www.sss.gov
Old May 8th 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

rebekahlalgee is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Hello I am in a mess here. I am a 22 year old student...making NEXT TO NOTHING. Just had to point that out. I've been saving my butt off for my trip to europe...Im going to Germany may 17th and England may 27th HERES some info

I am a british citizen living in america with my green card..
I applied to RENEW my passport april 6th....It is now may 8th and they haven't even taken ANYTHING out of my account!! Ofcourse like EVERYONE I called that help line and just ended up in tears. Then I call the british consulate wondering about an emergency passport...they say to call back 4 business days before I leave...THAT seems way to soon so I am calling Monday.

Here's all I have... My passport was received april 6th its been over a month
I havent been home to england in over 4 years. My grandparents are getting old close to death. I can't afford to lose my ticket!!! I leave may 17th!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE REQUIREMENTS ARE! any tips?!
All i need to know is IF ALL HOPE IS LOST~! and how do I contact this amazing DEAN that I read all about?!!

Please help me THANK YOU!!!

-BROKE student rebekah
Old May 8th 2011, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebekahlalgee

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE REQUIREMENTS ARE! any tips?!
All i need to know is IF ALL HOPE IS LOST~! and how do I contact this amazing DEAN that I read all about?!!
Keep reading...

Stickied thread up top of the US forum has passport info and you can find out about what has been said on the E.R by reading past posts, quite a few recent ones talking about it.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:01 am
Just Joined

rebekahlalgee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Keep reading...

Stickied thread up top of the US forum has passport info and you can find out about what has been said on the E.R by reading past posts, quite a few recent ones talking about it.
Yeahhhhh been on this website for a while now.... i dont have time to go through 16 pages....but thank you!
Old May 9th 2011, 2:31 am
Just Joined

DCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really nice

At least going through 16 pages doesn't cost you anything extra! At any rate, I think you can contact Dean via private message after you have posted a minimum number of messages on this forum (I don't remember off-hand what that minimum is but it's somewhere on this forum). His username is British Consul, in case you haven't gathered that by now. He isn't a magician but he is very helpful. I know that the option of getting an emergency travel document is deeply unattractive but it looks like that might be your only option (and you wouldn't have to cancel your flight).

For future reference -- a month isn't enough time, I don't care what the passport website says. They had my documents for a month before they charged my card, and then, after that, it took 7 more weeks (and three calls to Careline) before I got my passport (though mine is new and not a renewal, it woudn't be such a huge difference). As I understand it, it isn't possible to expedite your application until they charge your card, but at this point I doubt very much that your entire passport examination can be completed, start to finish, and mailed to you, before your travel date. The emergency travel document is probably your best bet.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rebekahlalgee
Yeahhhhh been on this website for a while now.... i dont have time to go through 16 pages....but thank you!
last couple of pages is all...
Old May 9th 2011, 4:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

The expats in Singapore aren't happy with the long time for passport renewals either (they now have to be sent to Hong Kong):

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...topicseen.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.