Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

It may not arrive in time. I'm not sure why you'd book a flight before you knew whether or not you'd have a passport.
If you make a lot of trips, it's not that easy to find a window for the renewal, the website was also showing 4 weeks, I hope they've clarified that by now.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

torontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If you make a lot of trips, it's not that easy to find a window for the renewal, the website was also showing 4 weeks, I hope they've clarified that by now.
I applied 5 weeks before my travel date + being a student means I have fixed holiday/travel dates, so yup for the reasons you state was why I had a flight booked. I really hope it arrives though, because despite beeig a UK student in Canada, im actually living in HK as a UK Expat so things would go very bad without the passport.... as I dont think the emergency travel doc would help for travel to HK... but I am HK ID card so who knows...

Basicly Just sitting, praying and waiting!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torontoboy
I applied 5 weeks before my travel date + being a student means I have fixed holiday/travel dates, so yup for the reasons you state was why I had a flight booked. I really hope it arrives though, because despite beeig a UK student in Canada, im actually living in HK as a UK Expat so things would go very bad without the passport.... as I dont think the emergency travel doc would help for travel to HK... but I am HK ID card so who knows...

Basicly Just sitting, praying and waiting!
Sounds like it's on its way - good luck!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:34 am
Just Joined

torontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nicetorontoboy is just really nice

Sounds like it's on its way - good luck!
I think so, checked it again and it is now in transit with delivery time stated as by end of tomorrow. This is really great news for me, was really worried about it, now I feel slightly relieved, but still going to feel nervous until its actually in my hands!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by torontoboy
I think so, checked it again and it is now in transit with delivery time stated as by end of tomorrow. This is really great news for me, was really worried about it, now I feel slightly relieved, but still going to feel nervous until its actually in my hands!
You lucky so & so, the I&PS in DC received my application on Mar 31, and they haven't even taken payment yet.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
You lucky so & so, the I&PS in DC received my application on Mar 31, and they haven't even taken payment yet.
Did you state a travel date on your application? I stated 30th April as my travel date, which if delivered successfully, they will meet. If you didnt state any travel date, perhaps it will take longer as they dont see a priority? Good luck and hope it comes soon.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

I gave a late July date, but I fly mid Oct. (Not technically a lie, as I may need to go north or south of the US border at any time inbetween now & then)

So I should see it in a couple of months.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's really unacceptable that British citizens living abroad should have to wait such a long time for a passport to be renewed. I can understand that an initial passport may take longer, but a renewal? There are many reasons why a expat may need to travel back to the UK and requiring them to provide such a long renewal window is ridiculous, especially when you take into account the fees charged.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if I'm going to help or stir up trouble...here goes.

I'd mailed in my app for renewal due to name change and it was received on April 7th but had heard nothing except they were potentially backed up. My fathers been ill and hasn't met my son, so goes my sob story right (all true and a whole lot more to it - I'm just exhausted and you don't really need or care about the details, I imagine )

As it turns out, I didn't need my name changed (long story). Thankfully I live close enough to DC that a trip downtown wasn't out of the question, since Careline is useless and you can't speak to anyone directly in their office. They were kind enough to give me my application, documents, and old-not-yet-cancelled passport back. I was also told they are SO backed up and they have thousands of applications they haven't gotten to yet. I would say, if you are planning to travel soon and can get approved for an ER passport...get the ball rolling on it.

THOUGH! I did not put a travel date on my passport because I thought they were only taking 4 weeks AND the last renewal I had took just over 2.

Sorry
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's really unacceptable that British citizens living abroad should have to wait such a long time for a passport to be renewed. I can understand that an initial passport may take longer, but a renewal? There are many reasons why a expat may need to travel back to the UK and requiring them to provide such a long renewal window is ridiculous, especially when you take into account the fees charged.
It's an absolute disgrace, especially as you say with the high fee, added to by premium calls to the 'Careline', who appear to have no handle on things at all. I cannot see any reason for it. As I mentioned before, an Indian colleague of OH's was able to renew by sending his to a consulate, it only cost $40 and was back in 10 days.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

kellyg41378 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I am in a bit of a panic. I guess this post is more to vent but also wanted to know if anyone has an email address of the consulate in Washington DC...
My renewal application was delivered on 03/16 as of today it is still not showing up in their system. I have made 2 calls to the care line and both times have been told I would receive a call back. Nothing. The credit card I gave them is set to expire in May. I will have to call and give them a new CC # but I am not all that confident that they will retain the info. We are approaching the 7 week mark and so far nothing has occured. UPS shows this as being delivered. Has anyone ever seen a lost application? My original birth certificate was provided to them as my passport had expired in 2010.
Any feedback is appreciated. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts as it has helped me determine that my request is outside of the normal timeline. Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
Has anyone ever seen a lost application? My original birth certificate was provided to them as my passport had expired in 2010!
It's unlikely lost from what I could tell at the embassy yesterday, they are ridiculously backed up. They had barely taken mine out of the envelope and it was under a stack. They said they had a huge influx and are behind on thousands of applications.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
We are approaching the 7 week mark and so far nothing has occured. UPS shows this as being delivered.
It was delivered, but that's not the same as someone working on it. The processing timeline starts when payment is taken... and you'll not get any information before then because no one is yet working on your application, so it's not yet in the system.

I have enjoyed reading everyones posts as it has helped me determine that my request is outside of the normal timeline.
I don't believe you are yet outside the normal timeline.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

techgeekwill is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my passport via FedEx on 4/7, received 4/11. Still waiting for the card to be charged as of 4/28.

Spoke to a wonderful idiot at the Careline who told me there is nothing I can do, and that it is 4 weeks from the point my card is charged.

I have a travel date of 5/15 and it's not looking at all promising.

They really should outline the entire process and update the site.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:03 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techgeekwill
I sent my passport via FedEx on 4/7, received 4/11. Still waiting for the card to be charged as of 4/28.

Spoke to a wonderful idiot at the Careline who told me there is nothing I can do, and that it is 4 weeks from the point my card is charged.

I have a travel date of 5/15 and it's not looking at all promising.

They really should outline the entire process and update the site.
It was about 3 weeks from when they received my husbands passport until they charged his card

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.