Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Duty charged on excess alcohol at border

Duty charged on excess alcohol at border

Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Duty charged on excess alcohol at border

Just wondering if someone can explain the above - I am not particularly good with numbers, tax,etc

I crossed the border back into Canada yesterday (at Calais). I was bringing back 12 bottles of wine in excess of my limit and knew I was liable to pay duty.
The duty charged was more than the wine cost. I don't object as it was still cheaper than if I had bought the same wine in NS but I don't understand how the duty is calculated and it would be useful to know. The people next to me in line were being charged $707 and were obviously well known to the people in the office. I heard the person dealing with them say she had tried to 'keep it as low as possible'', while the person I was speaking to said "you do realise there will be a substantial amount to pay". Is there discretion in these things?

I will enjoy the wine regardless...
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty charged on excess alcohol at border

Originally Posted by Merry
Just wondering if someone can explain the above - I am not particularly good with numbers, tax,etc

I crossed the border back into Canada yesterday (at Calais). I was bringing back 12 bottles of wine in excess of my limit and knew I was liable to pay duty.
The duty charged was more than the wine cost. I don't object as it was still cheaper than if I had bought the same wine in NS but I don't understand how the duty is calculated and it would be useful to know. The people next to me in line were being charged $707 and were obviously well known to the people in the office. I heard the person dealing with them say she had tried to 'keep it as low as possible'', while the person I was speaking to said "you do realise there will be a substantial amount to pay". Is there discretion in these things?

There are some online calculators. There is a lot you can find with Google!

The duty and penalties are different if you report it vs smuggling.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merry

http://www.canadiandutycalculator.ca/ and several different types here: http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/du...nal-exemptions

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 17th 2013 at 4:16 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring alcohol into BC, in addition to any duties and taxes, you also have to pay the gross profit the BC liquor board would have made if it had sold you the booze.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Just bring in those four-bottle boxes of wine. Just keep quiet at the border, they never check them.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You could read Appendix B of this memo to see the differences in what Provinces charge for importing booze that CBSA collect on their behalf.
Wine and beer is cheap compared to spirits.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#_a13

And if you think the prices on booze are outrageous don't even look at cigarettes and cigars in Appendix A