Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Joint sponsor checklist

I-864 Joint sponsor checklist

Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default I-864 Joint sponsor checklist

Hi all

I have today received my joint sponsors (FIL's) I-864, I-864A and all the supporting evidence. It all looks very good to me and after doing the research I do believe that everything that should be there is there. That being said I was wondering if anyone would mind checking my checklist of what I received just for my peace of mind .

I should say at this point that my FIL is retired so he is using his savings account, checking account and IRA.

* Birth certificate
* SSN (On the tax returns)
* 2008, 2009 & 2010 tax returns
* Bank statements from May 2010, October 2010, January 2011, April 2011 and June 2011 (I don't want to go into specific details but he is more than able to meet the poverty line)
* Proof that their mortgage has been paid (release of mortgage). I'm sure that's unnecessary, but nice that he's so keen.
* Appraisal of property showing properties current value. Again, this seems unnecessary because it is highly unlikely any officer would accept this - they don't want the joint sponsor to become homeless!

I'm not asking for anyone to do the work for me and i'm pretty sure that all is present in correct, I just want to make sure i'm not overlooking something here.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Joint sponsor checklist

Who is the I-864A from?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Ah, the I-864A form is also from my FIL (the joint sponsor). My understanding is that the officer could ask for either the I-864 form OR the I-864A form because my wife and I will be moving in with my FIL and MIL when we move, so technically he is a member of the household we intend to live in...or thats how I read it.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
Ah, the I-864A form is also from my FIL (the joint sponsor). My understanding is that the officer could ask for either the I-864 form OR the I-864A form because my wife and I will be moving in with my FIL and MIL when we move, so technically he is a member of the household we intend to live in...or thats how I read it.
Well, while I've heard those stories too, I'd be prepared to discuss it with the CO and show them that the Sponsor can herself elect to choose Joint Sponsor vs Household Member.

But, whatev.

If you take the I-864A, you will have to have a different I-864 from your wife, to be able to use it.

Or not. Take it all in and throw it at them. You might never know what worked, but you might not care either.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If using the I-864A, you'll also need proof of your relationship with your father (your birth certificate showing him as your parent) and proof that you both indeed live at the same address.

Regarding this statement: * Bank statements from May 2010, October 2010, January 2011, April 2011 and June 2011 (I don't want to go into specific details but he is more than able to meet the poverty line), does he have savings in the amount of 5x what he would have needed in income?

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Well, while I've heard those stories too, I'd be prepared to discuss it with the CO and show them that the Sponsor can herself elect to choose Joint Sponsor vs Household Member.
Yes, we would prefer to use my FIL's I-864, both have the same end result so it should be up to the petitioner which form they use as evidence, in my opinion anyway. There is little ambiguity surrounding the I-864 but there could be with the I-864A.

Or not. Take it all in and throw it at them. You might never know what worked, but you might not care either.
That was our thinking, if we over prepare and have everything they could possibly ask for then there should be no reason for them to delay anything.

does he have savings in the amount of 5x what he would have needed in income?
Yes. I don't want to go into specific figures other than to say that he has around 400% of what is required - taking into account that he has to have 5x more than usual amount.

If using the I-864A, you'll also need proof of your relationship with your father (your birth certificate showing him as your parent) and proof that you both indeed live at the same address.
Hmmm. I think my wife has her birth certificate. I'm not sure that we have anything that would prove that we intend to live with my wife's parents. Thanks for letting me know about that.

All in all it seems that it would be best not to go down the I-864A route if we can avoid it.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I don't want to go into specific figures other than to say that he has around 400% of what is required - taking into account that he has to have 5x more than usual amount.
I understand you don't want to give specific figures, and that's fine. Just thought I'd point out, though, that 400% of what is required is not the same as 5x what is required.

For example: If her father's household is 2 (himself plus the immigrant), he would be required to have $18,387 in income.

If using assets, he'd need 5 x $18,387 = $91,935.

400% of $18,387 is only $73,548. So if he has 400%, that's not going to be enough.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, i'm confuzzled !

My mathematical knowledge has once again found me wanting. Basically if 400 is 4 times as much as 100 then he has 4 times more than needed. That looks right.

So my FIL in order to meet the requirements needs to prove he has a certain figure that has 6 figures in it (due to the household size) and he has 4 times more than that figure.

Yes, i'm happy with that explanation...I think

I have a headache
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:40 pm

My mathematical knowledge has once again found me wanting. Basically if 400 is 4 times as much as 100 then he has 4 times more than needed. That looks right.

So my FIL in order to meet the requirements needs to prove he has a certain figure that has 6 figures in it (due to the household size) and he has 4 times more than that figure.

Yes, i'm happy with that explanation...I think

I have a headache
Well, I don't know. I guess without knowing the exact household size, there's no way for me to know which figure to look at on the I-864P. And since I don't know which figure to look at on the I-864P, I don't know which figure to multiply by 5 to give you the exact figure he needs to show in assets.

I was just saying that 400% of a figure is not the same as 5x a figure. But if he's got enough either way, you're fine.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thats cool, I really dont mean to be awkward or vague, I just know my FIL wouldn't appreciate me displaying his savings on the internet

Thank you for your help
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

You know what - something has just hit me...

My wife filed her taxes in London a few days ago and we are waiting for them to send back the photocopies of the 1040 form. Anyway, as my wife is the main sponsor she also needs to fill in an I-864 form which means...she also needs to show her tax returns for the last year or 3. Well, there's no way that can be done because they're all in London!

Will this prove to be an issues? We have a joint sponsor so hopefully it wont matter, but what do people think?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

She didn't make her own photocopy of the tax returns before submitting them?
My wife filed her taxes in London a few days ago and we are waiting for them to send back the photocopies of the 1040 form.
She didn't make a copy of the tax returns before submitting them?
Anyway, as my wife is the main sponsor she also needs to fill in an I-864 form which means...she also needs to show her tax returns for the last year or 3. Well, there's no way that can be done because they're all in London!
I think the requirement is that your wife, as sponsor (the word "main" is superfluous), must submit an I-864. And a requirement of the I-864 is that a copy of at least the most recent tax return (sometimes the most recent 3 tax returns are asked for) must be submitted with the I-864. Ergo
Will this prove to be an issues? We have a joint sponsor so hopefully it wont matter, but what do people think?