Query regarding obtaining a British passport

Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:11 am
Just Joined

meoldfak is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Query regarding obtaining a British passport

Hello all,

I'm just wondering about my citizenship status and whether I can apply for a UK passport.

My mother was born in the UK in 1971 to Australian parents (and is thus a UK citizen otherwise than by descent, as well as an Australian citizen) and I was born in Australia in 1997. My parents were unmarried at the time of my birth.

My mother believes that I have UK citizenship by descent, however I have read somewhere that the parents had to be married if I were born before 2006 in order for this citizenship to be conferred upon me.

Any advice??

Should I contact the Consulate-General in Sydney? Will they be able to advise me on this issue?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query regarding obtaining a British passport

As you were born overseas after 1983 to a British-born mother then you are a British citizen by descent regardless of the legitimacy of your birth providing your grandfather wasn't an Australian diplomat. The pre-2006 rule only applied to unmarried British fathers wishing to pass on their British citizenship.

As such you'll just need to apply for your British passport. You'll need your full Australian birth certificate and your mother's full British certificate. If you need them you can order your birth certificate from the BDM website of the state you were born in and your mother's birth certificate can be ordered from the GRO for a small fee at http://www.gro.gov.uk/

You will need to apply for your passport online at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Apr 20th 2014, 12:00 am
Just Joined

meoldfak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Query regarding obtaining a British passport

Thanks so much!!