*Please Help* Aussie wanting to marry a Brit in Uk

Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default *Please Help* Aussie wanting to marry a Brit in Uk

Hi everyone

What visa does my Aussie friend need to marry his English girlfriend in England?

Heard alot of conflicting info......
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Please Help* Aussie wanting to marry a Brit in Uk

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Hi everyone

What visa does my Aussie friend need to marry his English girlfriend in England?

Heard alot of conflicting info......
Are they proposing to just marry there or to live there after marriage?

I'll move the thread to the UK forum.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If they just want to get married and return to Australia then a marriage visitor visa is what they're after.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

If they plan to stay on afterwards and live together in the UK as man and wife then it'll be a fiancé visa.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: *Please Help* Aussie wanting to marry a Brit in Uk

Thank you so much
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If they just want to get married and return to Australia then a marriage visitor visa is what they're after.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

If they plan to stay on afterwards and live together in the UK as man and wife then it'll be a fiancé visa.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
I'm guessing that the Marriage Visitor visa is more of a formality than anything else? I ask as me (UK Citizen) and my Fiancée (Australian Citizen) were thinking about getting married in the UK and we got a grilling last time we entered the UK to visit family and were told we needed the correct visa for our visit (which we did it was only a 1 week holiday), I put it down to a overzealous Border Officer but it got me thinking.

We would only be in England for 3 weeks for the wedding then back to Canada where we currently live.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
I'm guessing that the Marriage Visitor visa is more of a formality than anything else? I ask as me (UK Citizen) and my Fiancée (Australian Citizen) were thinking about getting married in the UK and we got a grilling last time we entered the UK to visit family and were told we needed the correct visa for our visit (which we did it was only a 1 week holiday), I put it down to a overzealous Border Officer but it got me thinking.

We would only be in England for 3 weeks for the wedding then back to Canada where we currently live.
It's never a formality. You would need to both meet the requirements of the visa and demonstrate to the border officer that you will meet the conditions of the visa when you arrive at the border. For your situation the most important thing would to convince the ECO that your fiancée will return to her home country by showing she has sufficient ties i.e. job, property, family (including you), etc..
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's never a formality. You would need to both meet the requirements of the visa and demonstrate to the border officer that you will meet the conditions of the visa when you arrive at the border. For your situation the most important thing would to convince the ECO that your fiancée will return to her home country by showing she has sufficient ties i.e. job, property, family (including you), etc..
Thanks, it shouldn't be a problem. Evidence is easy we have plenty of the usual, Bank Statements, Rental Agreements, Car Insurance etc. To prove we are settled.

I just worry when it comes to the UK as it's the only country we always get grilled by the Border guards and I don't want to have flights booked etc only to have the visa reject for some reason. It just sucks you can't apply for the visa until 3 months before the day you intend to land in England.