Visa 475 & Divorce

Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

orionawaits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa 475 & Divorce

Am in a tricky situation and would appreciate advice.

My wife, daughter and I are on Visa 475 (subclass B). My wife is the primary and I am the secondary. In August, we complete the 2 years of living in regional Australia. My wife has already completed her one year of working requirement (and continues to work) and I've also had a full time job for the last 6 months (worked freelance before that so it's hard to qualify that as full time work).

The plan is to apply for 887 in August and move to PR when that comes through. However, the immigration experience has taken a toll on our marriage and we've reached the point were a divorce seems like the best decision, the sooner the better.

How does that effect our 887 application if we get divorced before applying? I know the logical thing is to wait but the 887 takes ages to process and we are having a tough time of it. If we get separated or divorced before applying for 887, does my secondary visa get revoked? I called DIAC and was on hold for over two hours on more than one occasion so would appreciate any speedy advice.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa 475 & Divorce

This is what I *think*, but you really should take some professional advice. This mean with an agent, not calling immigration, they are there to administer not to advise.

So I do not believe that your 475 is dependent upon the relationship continuing, you have a 475 visa of your own with a given expiry date.

With regard to progressing to 887 however, if you have divorced I don't see how you can go on the same application. I believe that you would need to qualify and apply on your own, which would take the extra six months.

But please do check this out properly.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

orionawaits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa 475 & Divorce

Thanks so much Bermudashorts! Yes, looking for a good migration agent to confirm of course, but I really appreciate the prompt help!