Visa question

Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa question

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its two separate applications.

Your son IS a citizen, you just need to register him and get him a passport.

Your wife needs to apply from scratch. But be aware, even IF they grant it on ministerial discretion it will take longer than a straight forward RRV application. AND she will then need to apply for and get an Aus passport before she can travel to Australia.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
In all honesty, if you just want to have your holiday in April, I would focus upon the RRV and getting your son's passport. It seems to me like you could really do without this added complication. I am sure you would not get that sorted by your holiday.

And no, you would not get your wife and son citizenship on the same application. They have very different claims to citizenship.
Understood and thanks.

What do you mean "register him". I was going to basically just follow the citizenship by decent form and documents and send it in. Is there a step before to register somewhere. Sorry haven't gone through the form in detail.

Yes, I did think of RRV but I miss the point. If the holiday is out of question, then I rather send an application for citizenship. No? I mean although money is not entire criteria but doing 1 RRV and 2 citizen ships is costlier than 2 citizenship. Unless RRV is required then yes I understand.

Let me know. Thanks in advance again
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Understood and thanks.

What do you mean "register him". I was going to basically just follow the citizenship by decent form and documents and send it in. Is there a step before to register somewhere. Sorry haven't gone through the form in detail.

Yes, I did think of RRV but I miss the point. If the holiday is out of question, then I rather send an application for citizenship. No? I mean although money is not entire criteria but doing 1 RRV and 2 citizen ships is costlier than 2 citizenship. Unless RRV is required then yes I understand.

Let me know. Thanks in advance again
Read the links. To get your son a passport you need to provide proof he is a citizen

Ministerial discretion is down to the Minister. Apply if you want to, no one can tell you a timeline or a probable result.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yes - he can't have a visa - Visas are for non-citizens to enter a country
I guess so. Though I can't see why you would even consider it - and I'm almost certain that wouldn't be any quicker!
Just for the benefit of the forum.

My boy is australia citizen by decent but that does NOT stop him from traveling to australia on US passport.

In fact, I got the ETA done and successfully traveled to Australia. I will be applying for his citizenship in the next couple of weeks.

My wife's RRV came through in 4 days. Got 1 year RRV.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

You were lucky.
Legally an Australian citizen cannot hold a visa for Australia - and it would be wrng of anyone to encourage you to break the law like that.
Just did a check of the process for applying for citizenship by descent (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...apply/descent/). It says that you become a citizen on the date the application is approved, so I guess until then you can travel on another passport, and get a visa.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a check of the process for applying for citizenship by descent (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...apply/descent/). It says that you become a citizen on the date the application is approved, so I guess until then you can travel on another passport, and get a visa.
Pity you didn't find that earlier in the thread, would have saved me loads of time typing garbage!
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Pity you didn't find that earlier in the thread, would have saved me loads of time typing garbage!
It was only when OP said 'citizen by descent' - earlier link for applying for citizenship when born overseas didn't have the process - sorry Polly and to the OP too.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:35 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh my son (on my passport at the time) came here as a tourist as did I, application for citizenship was done on DIAB recommendation when I launched my pr application.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It was only when OP said 'citizen by descent' - earlier link for applying for citizenship when born overseas didn't have the process - sorry Polly and to the OP too.
Absolutely no need to apologise to anyone, Sparkles. Everyone who uses BE knows it's a free forum and that the moderators aren't migration agents. If someone has a question that's so important, and they want the opportunity for redress if the answer is incorrect, then they can pay for their advice.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you renounce your citizenship, you may then be able to revoke your sons - is that an option for you?
Understand that this is late to the thread, however there's a very important point that has been missed. A child born overseas to an Australian citizen is never automatically an Australian citizen by descent. An application for citizenship has to be made (which will be granted if the statutory requirements are met) and the date of acquisition of citizenship will not be retroactive to birth. This has two consequences:

1. If the child has not been registered as Australian, it's absolutely acceptable for child to travel to Australia with foreign passport + applicable visa, ETA, etc.

2. If child is never registered as Australian, the the option remains available later on, but obviously subject to law changes and also if the child encounters any character issues that would make him or her ineligible to become a citizen.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Understand that this is late to the thread, however there's a very important point that has been missed. A child born overseas to an Australian citizen is never automatically an Australian citizen by descent. An application for citizenship has to be made (which will be granted if the statutory requirements are met) and the date of acquisition of citizenship will not be retroactive to birth. This has two consequences:

1. If the child has not been registered as Australian, it's absolutely acceptable for child to travel to Australia with foreign passport + applicable visa, ETA, etc.

2. If child is never registered as Australian, the the option remains available later on, but obviously subject to law changes and also if the child encounters any character issues that would make him or her ineligible to become a citizen.
Thanks

Little confused. Do I have to register him before I apply for for his citizenship. I am actually putting jus papers ready and thought all I needed to do was fill out the form and provide documents.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

No apologies required. Thanks for your help