Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Changing functional English status of dependents after submitting visa application

Changing functional English status of dependents after submitting visa application

Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

haroonrauf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing functional English status of dependents after submitting visa application

Hi!

Quick question, I am about to submit a visa application (skilled independent) after having received an invitation to apply.
I want to include my wife and mother as dependents who will migrate with me. The online application form is asking me to declare whether wife/mother have functional English (IELTS 4.5). As of now, they haven't attempted IELTS.

I was just wondering:
1- Should I get them to give IELTS now and submit my application once they receive their required scores (hopefully within the 2-month timeframe I have)
2- Should I just go ahead and declare they do not have functional English and submit the application? Later on, when they clear the IELTS, then before the granting of visa or at the point of time they may ask for the additional AUD 4,250, I can then submit a form 1022 for change in circumstances and declare through it that the dependents now have functional English and send them certified TRF's of IELTS.

Is the second scenario possible? Do they accept this kind of change in circumstances? Or will a non-functional English of dependents create a higher risk of refusal of visa, plus a mandatory AUD 4,250 even though the dependents clear IELTS later?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing functional English status of dependents after submitting visa applicatio

They need to prove their English at time of decision not time of application. So there is no need to delay things now, at the end you will have the option of paying or producing an IELTS result.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:16 am
Just Joined

haroonrauf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing functional English status of dependents after submitting visa applicatio

OK. So it is suggested that I select that dependents have functional English, and then later on when they ask for supports, I can submit the IELTS TRF. And it doesn't matter that the IELTS was qualified AFTER the submission of visa application, as long as it is prior to receipt of visa (or demand of AUD 4,250). So no need to write non-functional English and then submit a change in circumstances. Does this sum it up?

Plus, is there some reference for this procedure this way? Or someone else with a practical experience of this sort?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

No, at the moment you cannot prove functional English - so choose non-functional English. When you are asked for the extra payment you can then submit the IELTS certificates.

You can't claim they have something you can't prove - especially if they fail to get 4.5 or above when they actually take the IELTS.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

JoannaAch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
No, at the moment you cannot prove functional English - so choose non-functional English. When you are asked for the extra payment you can then submit the IELTS certificates.

You can't claim they have something you can't prove - especially if they fail to get 4.5 or above when they actually take the IELTS.
I also selected "non-functional English" for my hubby in my application and signed him up for IELTS on 25 May. Hopefully, by the end of May I would be able to change it to "functional". Would I have to fill out the "change of circumstances" form or just submit the TRF?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

HopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin

If I followed this track, and when I have been asked for the extra payment, and my wife's IELTS is ready, do I have to submit the change of circumstances form along with IELTS crtificate (instead of payment)?
Many thanks..
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HopeShines

If I followed this track, and when I have been asked for the extra payment, and my wife's IELTS is ready, do I have to submit the change of circumstances form along with IELTS crtificate (instead of payment)?
Many thanks..
I would not wait until you are asked for payment to produce evidence of functional English - as soon as you have the results, submit the change of circumstances form
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

HopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I would not wait until you are asked for payment to produce evidence of functional English - as soon as you have the results, submit the change of circumstances form
Clear now, thank you.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

mahi123 is an unknown quantity at this point

cant we prove functional English of partner by showing educational certificate telling that the medium of instruction was English???
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Is primary and secondary school English education is enough?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mahi123
cant we prove functional English of partner by showing educational certificate telling that the medium of instruction was English???
Yes we can prove

-->completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
-->completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

https://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/h...l-english.aspx

To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result with an average band score of at least 4.5 for the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing). Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English
completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English
completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
the functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by economy_1
Yes we can prove

-->completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
-->completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

https://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/h...l-english.aspx

To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result with an average band score of at least 4.5 for the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing). Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English
completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English
completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
the functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.