Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old May 8th 2012, 2:49 am
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Too expensive - they need the money for killing people.

if they'd found extra-terrestrial life, they'd have been happy to spend the money killing them though.
Precisely why the US has accepted over 2 million refugees and asylum seekers since 1980. Just so we can kill them when they get here!

Isn't it time you guys get over your European bias of the US? I thought living here might make you less ignorant toward the US. Maybe if the US weren't so busy accommodating refugees and spending money to make sure they can assimilate into American society, we might have more money to go to space.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjreisen
Precisely why the US has accepted over 2 million refugees and asylum seekers since 1980. Just so we can kill them when they get here!

Isn't it time you guys get over your European bias of the US? I thought living here might make you less ignorant toward the US. Maybe if the US weren't so busy accommodating refugees and spending money to make sure they can assimilate into American society, we might have more money to go to space.
You need to pull the plug from out of your rear and realise the sentiment of the posts.

They are taking the mick out of the very sentiment of your reply :/

Oh and you're talking small change. One years military budget is more than the combined years of NASA spending in its entirety.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:01 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

With the best will in the world, mate, what the **** are you banging on about?
Old May 8th 2012, 5:17 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Now, back to reality - here's my genuine favourite thing (non-human, my wife and children are rather implicit) about the US. I didn't buy it here but it was my dream to have one since I was eight years old and I bloody well paid for the privilege but it was (as far as I am led to believe) hand made in Corona, CA.

Shameless self-indulgence but it is at least on topic
Attached Thumbnails What's your favorite thing about the US?-imgp1582.jpg  
Old May 8th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I was a bit of a dick with my first post. Here's a few things I do like about the US:

The US put a man on the moon and pioneered aviation.

Enough said ...
Hang about. Let's put it in perspective...

The US's Nazi rocket scientists beat the USSR's Nazi rocket scientists.

And as for pioneering aviation - hmmm... Only officially!!

To be serious for a mo... only the kind of entrepreneurial economy the US has had could achieve these and many other notable achievements. Kelly Johnson was a genius - to go from concept/idea for a mach 3+ aircraft when mach 2 was still an experiment, then create the new materials needed to withstand the heat, and new manufacturing processes to go with it, sketch it all out in the days before AutoCad (i.e. by hand. in pencil!) and get the first prototype (precursor to the SR-71) flying in a little over 3 years took genius, creativity and more than a little hard work.

IIRC the rocket that Alan Shephard took the US's first manned flight in had not had a completely successful launch (or perhaps only 1) before he took his flight - he knew that. That takes balls.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

With the best will in the world, mate, what the **** are you banging on about?
He's an American...trying his hardest to convert us.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:08 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hang about. Let's put it in perspective...

The US's Nazi rocket scientists beat the USSR's Nazi rocket scientists.

And as for pioneering aviation - hmmm... Only officially!!

To be serious for a mo... only the kind of entrepreneurial economy the US has had could achieve these and many other notable achievements. Kelly Johnson was a genius - to go from concept/idea for a mach 3+ aircraft when mach 2 was still an experiment, then create the new materials needed to withstand the heat, and new manufacturing processes to go with it, sketch it all out in the days before AutoCad (i.e. by hand. in pencil!) and get the first prototype (precursor to the SR-71) flying in a little over 3 years took genius, creativity and more than a little hard work.

IIRC the rocket that Alan Shephard took the US's first manned flight in had not had a completely successful launch (or perhaps only 1) before he took his flight - he knew that. That takes balls.
Yeah, I know the British and Germans invented the jet engine; the DeHavilland Comet beat the 707 by almost ten years and the US didn't have a Concorde, but the US were no slouches in that particular field back in the 40's et cetera. I wanted to pick something I did like to balance all my sarcasm and flippancy. I think, on reflection, my Stratocaster was a better choice (plus the name was derived from an aviation source) ...

Perhaps I should have picked the minds. People like Richard Feynmann, Carl Sagan, Neil DeGrasse Tyson. There's hope yet ...
Old May 8th 2012, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Now, you could be being ironic and all that, in which case, well done, you got me hook, line and sinker. On the assumption that you aren't, here's the appropriate reply...

...Wow, you are a slow learner, even for a knob jock. How many hints and explicit statements about the nature of BE do you need, FFS?

If you are a Brit, you should know better. If you aren't, welcome to a fascinating facet of the British psyche.

If you are American, I suggest you examine your own ignorance and bias, instead of giving the World more reason to maintain the inaccurate stereotype that Americans are ignorant, under-educated, overly positive to the point of pukedom, and utterly closed to anything that does not have 'Made in USA' or 'Thought of in USA' stamped on it.

We're (most of us) having a laugh in a classic British way. If you don't like it, p*ss off.

Old May 8th 2012, 9:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, what other use is there for them?

... we might have more money to go to space.
Man has only gone as far as the Moon... which, in terms of space, is like a short walk to the chemist!

Ian
Old May 8th 2012, 1:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it time you guys get over your European bias of the US? I thought living here might make you less ignorant toward the US. ........
To be honest, when I lived in Europe, I never gave the US a thought.. couldn't give a sh*t about the sorry place. It's only now that I live here, that I constantly grind my teeth and spit bile about it.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:57 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Did I meet you earlier, in the parking lot, passing out tea party leaflets?
Old May 8th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now, back to reality - here's my genuine favourite thing (non-human, my wife and children are rather implicit) about the US. I didn't buy it here but it was my dream to have one since I was eight years old and I bloody well paid for the privilege but it was (as far as I am led to believe) hand made in Corona, CA.

Shameless self-indulgence but it is at least on topic
AND - it is very sweet - a work of art!! <envy>
Old May 8th 2012, 2:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely why the US has accepted over 2 million refugees and asylum seekers since 1980.
But lets not forget that refugees and asylum seeking has been used as a foreign policy tool as well as a domestic economic and social one.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe if we'd stop fucking starting unnecessary wars, you idiot.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
AND - it is very sweet - a work of art!! <envy>
I waited sixteen years to get that guitar, but it was worth it.

Of course, I plug it into a British amp, but we always did have the edge in amplification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.