Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've had a handful of occasions over the past two days where I got a "page can not be displayed" (or whatever it is) message for BE - but other sites were working fine. When I refreshed the page, it sorted itself out (though it took two or three refreshes at times). Of course, if that happens when you are sending a reply, your message disappears into the ether.

It doesn't solve your problem, but whenever I'm working somewhere with bad internet reception, I type emails offline (in Word, in a Temporary folder) and then copy and paste.
Dunroving,
Hi nice to hear from you again,
How is your wife and your Dog? I wondered how you were doing,
Rodney.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yup problems here too. If I get an email saying there have been posts and click on the link, the page can't be displayed. It's only happening on this site.

What a fab week it's been this week. Saw my mum and brother, my husbands' parents, had dinner with my oldest friends, went out to see a ruined abbey on Saturday, had a few nice evenings having dinner down the pub, and went shopping in Leeds today. (The drive from here into the city was so beautiful! Rolling green hills, stone walls, sheep and lambs in the fields, blossom everywhere. Lovely!) Tomorrow some other friends are coming over in the evening and we have more visitors later in the week.

One thing I'm noticing is how much we walk here. First, it's ridiculously pretty where we are right now, so I go out twice a day for a stroll. Second, shopping trips don't involve driving from store to store, but involve driving into town, parking and then walking round the centre. I'm eating guilty food right now, but not gaining weight. I can only think it's because we're walking more.

I know I keep babbling on, but I want to be sure and share my enjoyment because I know how discouraging it can be to read posts from people who aren't settling well, or who leave after returning. I hope my story proves that sometimes things really are better back home.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Keep sharing - I wouldn't have made it home without all the kind words of encouragement and advice I received here.
Lovely post Sal, I lurk A LOT, but I am so happy you made it to the other side eventually and are inspiring us all!
Old May 7th 2012, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hi Woodswife, I sent you a private message, but believe you make some more posts to be able to receive it? Wawa

Originally Posted by woodswife
Hello all!

This is my first day finding this thread and I hope it will help my husband and I as we try to prepare for a move to the Bath/Bristol area of England in about two years.

My husband is British and has been living in Canada for 22 years (he's just applied for Canadian citizenship that will take 19 months to get), and he wants to move back for a couple of years (or more) to be close to aging family. I am a Canadian and Hungarian citizen (waiting for my EU Passport) so luckily neither of us will require a Visa to work.

We are planning to rent out our home in Toronto until we decide if we will stay "forever". So basically we will put our Canadian life on a temporary hold.

Can anyone help out with what paperwork we will need to get going? How does my husband find out his old NI number? Do I need to apply for that being an Hungarian citizen?

My husband will be 55 at the time of this move and did work before he left... How can we find out about any pensions or benefits he may qualify for?

We both plan to work and hope that at least one of us secures a job before arrival.

Thanks in advance - sifting through all 700+ pages of this thread was too much!

Cheers!
Aniko
Old May 7th 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

I started following this thread a long time ago but never contributed as I am not contemplating moving back to the UK. It was Rodney's story that kept my interest in the early days as I so hoped he would make it back to be with his Mother. The other poster that I remember well was Easterdawn, does anyone know what happened to her?
Old May 7th 2012, 9:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Dunroving,
Hi nice to hear from you again,
How is your wife and your Dog? I wondered how you were doing,
Rodney.
I've not really been anywhere, just don't post as much as I used to. Over the years I drift in and out, depending on how busy I am, and whether I feel like I have anything worthwhile to contribute.

I don't think I ever mentioned having a wife (not married), and as for Suzy, I explained what happened to her in a post on January 8th:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...33#post9828933

- you probably missed it because it was in the US Forum. Coincidentally, her final vet's bill arrived this weekend.

Last edited by dunroving; May 7th 2012 at 9:22 am.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I've not really been anywhere, just don't post as much as I used to. Over the years I drift in and out, depending on how busy I am, and whether I feel like I have anything worthwhile to contribute.

I don't think I ever mentioned having a wife (not married), and as for Suzy, I explained what happened to her in a post on January 8th:

- you probably missed it because it was in the US Forum. Coincidentally, her final vet's bill arrived this weekend.
Dunroving, it's good to see you here again.

But so sorry to hear your news--many condolences on your dog Suzy, I too had missed that account as haven't been on the US forum.

Tina
Old May 7th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, isn't the UK outdoors so nice.

We go out daily too and longer walks two or three times a week. This weekend we took the bus out to the country then walked 1 hour along Peddars Way, route of a road built by the Romans, saw deer, hares, pheasants. We had real ale and lunch in a country pub beside duck ponds, walked back the same way and caught a bus back home. This was our habit before we moved away and was a desire in moving back. There are endless options and variations on this to find.

Today's good thought about UK, Smaller house means the tap has to run less before the hot water comes out.

As Jasper/Rodney says, we all come back for different reasons; for us, we like our days in the countryside, we both grew up in the countryside.
We do not have support of a close loving family here but even so J.J/June did not want to potentially be alone trying to support herself in the US and is more secure with the UK social safety net.
To fulfill our need for adventure of warm foreign places; we have a trip to inland Spain coming up soon.

ps; the pic of Peddars Way was from last summer, it's a bit damper at the moment, more suitable for the ducks
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-images.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-images2.jpg  

Last edited by J.JsOH; May 7th 2012 at 11:18 am.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
I started following this thread a long time ago but never contributed as I am not contemplating moving back to the UK. It was Rodney's story that kept my interest in the early days as I so hoped he would make it back to be with his Mother. The other poster that I remember well was Easterdawn, does anyone know what happened to her?
Hi gill556,
Yep I made it back home 16 months now already, WOW time just flies by,
Mum is great, we both have our birthdays next month, she is 93 and I will be still just a young whippersnapper of 67
Easterndawn has not posted for quite some time now, at least a year I think, so many people have been asking about her lately, I wish she would post, ------ anyway nice to hear from you,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Dunroving,
Sorry I dont read the US forum either so didn't know about your dog, so sorry for your loss,
I just thought you were married, not that you have ever mentioned a wife,
Anyway its really nice to hear from you again and its nice to know that you are doing OK.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:22 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Dunrovin, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much Suzy meant to you, and I also know how hard it is to make that final decision - and then carry it out. Sadly in recent years I have had to do it 4 times and it never gets any easier. I know you gave her an amazing life and that you were both lucky to find each other. I hope you feel better soon.
Old May 7th 2012, 1:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunrovin

I am so sorry to hear about Suzy. I have been in your position on more than one occasion, so I know what a difficult time it must have been. I try to focus on all the happy moments we had together and the joy my dogs gave to me.
You gave her a good life and I am sure she paid you back for that in many ways.

By the way, I have always enjoyed your posts.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Maybe I'll see you there! We've promised to take my mum to see that because all three of us love Peter Robinson. Last year he conducted a walk in Swaledale where he showed some of the locations from his last book. Mum tried to get tickets but they were all sold out, so this is my belated Mother's day present for her.

Good luck with the house sale and the clearing out process. I surely know what that is like!

PS: If you do come, be sure to visit Knaresborough. This place is a true hidden gem - especially the waterside area.

That walk sounds as if it would have been great. As I mentioned, it is unlikely that I will be back in time for the festival and I probably couldn't get tickets now, so I hope you will post an update on how it goes. Thanks.

When I met Peter Robinson a few years ago, at a book signing, we chatted about a TV series being made about DCI Banks. It has been made, but so far no sign of it in this neck of the woods. Have you seen it in the UK? i think the first season is out on DVD, but as I hope to be home soon, I won't order it just yet.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Yes, isn't the UK outdoors so nice.

We go out daily too and longer walks two or three times a week. This weekend we took the bus out to the country then walked 1 hour along Peddars Way, route of a road built by the Romans, saw deer, hares, pheasants. We had real ale and lunch in a country pub beside duck ponds, walked back the same way and caught a bus back home. This was our habit before we moved away and was a desire in moving back. There are endless options and variations on this to find.

Today's good thought about UK, Smaller house means the tap has to run less before the hot water comes out.

As Jasper/Rodney says, we all come back for different reasons; for us, we like our days in the countryside, we both grew up in the countryside.
We do not have support of a close loving family here but even so J.J/June did not want to potentially be alone trying to support herself in the US and is more secure with the UK social safety net.
To fulfill our need for adventure of warm foreign places; we have a trip to inland Spain coming up soon.

ps; the pic of Peddars Way was from last summer, it's a bit damper at the moment, more suitable for the ducks
Hi John, Love the pics, the daily walk sounds lovely, and the pub lunch...
Old May 7th 2012, 3:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1

When I met Peter Robinson a few years ago, at a book signing, we chatted about a TV series being made about DCI Banks. It has been made, but so far no sign of it in this neck of the woods. Have you seen it in the UK? i think the first season is out on DVD, but as I hope to be home soon, I won't order it just yet.
I saw one episode and honestly, I hated it. It was very sad. There is a series based on Kate Atkinson's brilliant detective novels and the main actor from that should have been the one who played DCI Banks - he's perfect! Unfortunately the guy they chose wasn't and it all just fell flat. At least in my opinion.

Edited to add: this is the guy who should have played banks IMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVvxgMDfag
Old May 7th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi gill556,
Yep I made it back home 16 months now already, WOW time just flies by,
Mum is great, we both have our birthdays next month, she is 93 and I will be still just a young whippersnapper of 67
Easterndawn has not posted for quite some time now, at least a year I think, so many people have been asking about her lately, I wish she would post, ------ anyway nice to hear from you,
Take care,
Rodney.
Thanks for your answer Rodney, I was so relieved when you finally made it home. You sound so happy now and I am really pleased for you. I bet your Mom is also happy to have you there with her. Good Luck and best wishes to you both,

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.