Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
Well stone the crows look what the cat brought in

Where have you been my dear??
We have had the police, CIA and everyone else out looking for you.
You will have to provide someone with your email address so if you go wandering off we can find you. I know you probably wanted to keep a low profile after winning the Lottery.
I think you got another good job, if I remember correctly.
What is your status as far as going back to England?

Cheers
Hello dear Cheers ))

It's really lovely to see you and I am SO glad I came to the forum today )

I hope you are well and still planning a return home )
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hello dear Cheers ))

It's really lovely to see you and I am SO glad I came to the forum today )

I hope you are well and still planning a return home )
We were discussing returning with a friend and he asked my DW if she would go and her response 'only if I could have a certain life style'. Since the United States has gone Hollywood with war in all parts of the world I think any chance of a descent living standard in England maybe out of the window as I see it.
That may not be clear as to what I'm getting at.

Last edited by cheers; Apr 29th 2012 at 11:15 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We were discussing returning with a friend and he asked my DW if she would go and her response 'only if I could have a certain life style'. Since the United States has gone Hollywood with war in all parts of the world I think any chance of a descent living standard in England maybe out of the window as I see it.
What are her "lifestyle" conditions?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;10031557]
Originally Posted by Beedubya
Welcome to the newbies and thank you for posting.

I wasn't one of the original few when this thread was started all that time ago by Trotty True but came here not that long after, so I consider myself one of the almost originals. That being said as will have been noticed the people that have made it back here are posting less and less as we settle into our new lives and of course we are not ex pats any longer as we have finally come home.

The feelings and thoughts we had about living in our adopted countries are slowly fading away and to me at least it seems almost like a dream.

A new injection of fresh blood is vital if this thread is to continue, this thread has helped SO MANY people this past few years and shouldn't be allowed to fade away into nothingness so it's up to you now, all you lurkers need to stop lurking and get typing!![/QUOTE]

Well said Barb, we all learn from each other, everyone has something important to say, jump in folks, the door is open...
Barb I second Fish comment WELL SAID BARB INDEED, I (am) one of the very original posters from way back when trotty started this thread, and you Barb and you Fish along with so many more were just a little tad behind me and others,
I owe EVERYTHING to this thread, without all the people on here past and present I know I would not be home right now, I was so scared, but everyone re-esured me and gave me that push,
I absolutely love being home, now after 16 months being home I rarely have any thoughts of my old life of 36 years in U.S. anymore,
Come on all you lurkers, its time for you all to join in now, we do need the new blood otherwise this thread will die, that would be so sad to loose all that this thread has been, Ive never even met a single one of you, but people who I have got to know over these few years like fish/barb/sally/derrygal/mummy/cheers/don/charleygirl/denise/avril/rose/anna easterndawn/ just to name a few, theres so many more, weve laughed and cried together, weve shared things about ourselves that even our closest relatives never knew, I love all of you, I really do,
Rodney.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What are her "lifestyle" conditions?
I'm afraid to ask her.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bee!!!

How's it going in the UK? Glad you made the move? I think it's been almost a year, hasn't it?
Hello stranger!!!! Yes I am so glad I came back home and cannot even imagine living in Australia ever again, well not unless I win the lottery and then would spend some quality time with the family for a few months each year.

I have been back 14 months already!!!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jasper123;10032151]
Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Barb I second Fish comment WELL SAID BARB INDEED, I (am) one of the very original posters from way back when trotty started this thread, and you Barb and you Fish along with so many more were just a little tad behind me and others,
I owe EVERYTHING to this thread, without all the people on here past and present I know I would not be home right now, I was so scared, but everyone re-esured me and gave me that push,
I absolutely love being home, now after 16 months being home I rarely have any thoughts of my old life of 36 years in U.S. anymore,
Come on all you lurkers, its time for you all to join in now, we do need the new blood otherwise this thread will die, that would be so sad to loose all that this thread has been, Ive never even met a single one of you, but people who I have got to know over these few years like fish/barb/sally/derrygal/mummy/cheers/don/charleygirl/denise/avril/rose/anna easterndawn/ just to name a few, theres so many more, weve laughed and cried together, weve shared things about ourselves that even our closest relatives never knew, I love all of you, I really do,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney,

Of those you have named and the rest, I think there are at least 15 of us who have made it back so far, with lots of others in the wings. David and his partner, Gabgoeshome, J and J and so it goes on............

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a reunion somewhere in the middle maybe???

Well so far I have met 2 from here who posted a little, one was a lady I met up in Altrincham one day, we went for lunch and she was lovely, Norma, she was thinking of going to live in Spain, so she may have gone as I haven't seen her on here ever again or heard from her.

The other is Sue, who I have met twice so far, in fact we met up just last Saturday and had a nice day in Hampstead until the weather turned really bad, we get on really well and have so much in common knowing the ex pat thing, she was living in the USA and her son is still there, she *knows* all of you too as she reads here every day so we have LOTS to talk about.

Hi Sue!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 30th 2012 at 6:10 am.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:10 am
Home Sweet Home

It isn't..............
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning fellow expats...
Wow what a week of bad weather but today the sun is shining and not a cloud in the sky, after yesterday just did not think it possible to wake up to this.

Good news finally on the job front, I finally got offered the job in the day Nursery working with the babies.. I start at the end of May, it is full time 48 hours a week with a paid one hour lunch break. Not worked that much since I was 30 something... Not had my official job offer yet but should get that this week in the mail.
Otherwise though I will be honest it is not good for my age group or anyone really in this area, the unskilled jobs are few and far between. I applied for a carer job with Age UK, not something i wanted to do but was getting desperate.. never got an interview, then they re advertised the job... that felt really good.. NOT!

I still continue to worry about my children that are left behind ( 19 and 21) my daughter is here now and job hunting.. she wants to do an apprenticeship as we can not afford the 5,000 pounds a year from college
She is happy here but misses her twin ( i cant actually believe she left her in NH) and in my heart I believe she will not stay.
As for me, I am happy with being here but not sure the hurt of being away from my children can ever out weigh the plusses of here.. If they were to move back here I would be very happy to stay. I love the countryside, even a drive in torrential rain and seeing all the yellow fields, sheep and cows over the weekend was just lovely. I can honestly say I have not met with any rudeness in the shops and my family and friends here are happy with their lot. The city center has some not so lovely sights! But it is a large city and with that the usual pitfalls.

My dog is getting old now too and have been worrying about him, I know he is being taken care of but it bothers me that my children will have to deal with that

Some one was asking about pets, I did see a few places that would allow them but to be honest 4 maybe a bit much.

Barb I would love to meet up with you one of these days.. at the moment money is too tight to make plans but I booked a bus ticket for my daughter to go to london for the day it was only 7 pounds each way... so thats a thought when I get my first pay check!
Sally how is it going??
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just read back a few pages, welcome to the new posters, always lovely to read..
I wanted to add that I miss nothing about America except family, friends ( I was living in NH) and cheap petrol and pretty soon I dont think i will be able to afford to run a car anyway so that wont matter. My ins. was 500 pounds for a year and it is 110 every 6 months to tax.
I get my bus pass June 2013!
I have been back 8 months now.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good Morning fellow expats...
Wow what a week of bad weather but today the sun is shining and not a cloud in the sky, after yesterday just did not think it possible to wake up to this.

Good news finally on the job front, I finally got offered the job in the day Nursery working with the babies.. I start at the end of May, it is full time 48 hours a week with a paid one hour lunch break. Not worked that much since I was 30 something... Not had my official job offer yet but should get that this week in the mail.
Otherwise though I will be honest it is not good for my age group or anyone really in this area, the unskilled jobs are few and far between. I applied for a carer job with Age UK, not something i wanted to do but was getting desperate.. never got an interview, then they re advertised the job... that felt really good.. NOT!

I still continue to worry about my children that are left behind ( 19 and 21) my daughter is here now and job hunting.. she wants to do an apprenticeship as we can not afford the 5,000 pounds a year from college
She is happy here but misses her twin ( i cant actually believe she left her in NH) and in my heart I believe she will not stay.
As for me, I am happy with being here but not sure the hurt of being away from my children can ever out weigh the plusses of here.. If they were to move back here I would be very happy to stay. I love the countryside, even a drive in torrential rain and seeing all the yellow fields, sheep and cows over the weekend was just lovely. I can honestly say I have not met with any rudeness in the shops and my family and friends here are happy with their lot. The city center has some not so lovely sights! But it is a large city and with that the usual pitfalls.

My dog is getting old now too and have been worrying about him, I know he is being taken care of but it bothers me that my children will have to deal with that

Some one was asking about pets, I did see a few places that would allow them but to be honest 4 maybe a bit much.

Barb I would love to meet up with you one of these days.. at the moment money is too tight to make plans but I booked a bus ticket for my daughter to go to london for the day it was only 7 pounds each way... so thats a thought when I get my first pay check!
Sally how is it going??
Great news on the job front Charleygirl, so well done there!!! We always knew it wasn't going to be easy, right?

As soon as you get straight, let's arrange to meet in old London town!!!! I would love that Denise.

Still waiting for Rodney to book though.............

Is your daughter's fare based on being a student? I have never found anything that cheap though you can get good deals on Virgin trains, but you have to book way ahead.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sally how is it going??
Sorry I haven't updated much - we have just been so busy and over the last few days, one of our cats got very ill. He's in the animal hospital getting good care but we have no idea what the outcome will be.

The weekend was terrible weather - we went up to the North York moors to see the ruins at Riveaulx Abbey, which are simply stunning. But the weather couldn't have been any worse! Freezing cold wind mixed with heavy rain and hailstones. I thought my fingers would drop off!! We then went to a lovely little town called Helmsley, but even quaint buildings and cobbled streets can't make up for being chilled to the bone so we hot-footed it back home. Sunday was taken up with the cat being ill but honestly the weather was so foul, we wouldn't have gone out anyway.

Today it's a gorgeous day with little puffy clouds floating by, rowing boats bobbing on the river outside my window and birds tweeting up a storm. If it wasn't for worrying about my little buddy, I'd be in heaven.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

High, Sally! Sounds like you`re suffering from that good old British weather! One of my thoughts, if funds allow is to stock up on a down coat and some fleece from Lands End because its cheaper here. All thats putting me off is that fashions can be different and dont want to invest and then find I dont wear them!
Housing markets gone very quiet, may start even more painting today to get it really tip top. Thats the only blessing, the more time goes by, the more jobs I get done! Glad the weathers cheered up for you today! Sorry to hear about your cat.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

My half sister in England (who is not much help at all!) told me that I would have trouble finding even a council house to take two cats and two small dogs. Is this true? I thought the UK was a nation of pet lovers.
I have mentioned this before, from what I see it is the letting agents who impose the no pet rule. Over the last 16 years or so I have never been asked by an agent if we would consider a tenant with a pet. Our current tetants asked if they could have a dog I had no problem at all with it.
Our worst tenant by a mile was one with two small children they would swing on cabinet doors and while they did not wreck the place did a lot of minor damage before skipping out on the agreement.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
High, Sally! Sounds like you`re suffering from that good old British weather! One of my thoughts, if funds allow is to stock up on a down coat and some fleece from Lands End because its cheaper here. All thats putting me off is that fashions can be different and dont want to invest and then find I dont wear them!
I am not the world's most fashionable person - jeans for every occasion! - but I have seen lots of people here wearing fleeces that look just like the ones I brought from America. I don't think you'd find it was a problem.

The one thing I need but don't have yet is a good, light raincoat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.