Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thanks so much for your support As well you know, are living in a bit of a mess right now! still have to get the suitcases...and then try to stuff it all in
Good Luck Gab! I am sure the time constraints make the move even more stressful. Are you just taking personal clothes etc or shipping furniture etc., ?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Good Luck Gab! I am sure the time constraints make the move even more stressful. Are you just taking personal clothes etc or shipping furniture etc., ?
We are taking almost nothing.

Both the boys are about to grow out of their clothes, so we will get new ones there.

Our daughter is just 3, so most of her bits are still pretty tiny.

But DS13 has 3 lap -tops and an X-box we are working on that!

I have a few of my Grandmother's paintings...I'll take them out of the frames and flat pack somehow.

Its amazing but most things can be replaced more cheaply than shipping. I've been scouring Ebay, my shabby chic favourites are quite easy to come by

I think, (having done it coming here) that is not *that* difficult to get household bits together again/build a home again.

Its not for the faint hearted though...I have to admit, its still a little nerve wracking to imagine us in a whole new life...only a few weeks from now.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Both the boys are about to grow out of their clothes, so we will get new ones there.

I have a few of my Grandmother's paintings...I'll take them out of the frames and flat pack somehow.

Its amazing but most things can be replaced more cheaply than shipping. I've been scouring Ebay, my shabby chic favourites are quite easy to come by

I think, (having done it coming here) that is not *that* difficult to get household bits together again/build a home again.

Its not for the faint hearted though...I have to admit, its still a little nerve wracking to imagine us in a whole new life...only a few weeks from now.
I think that's fantastic Gab. How very exciting. I too am going through "stuff" and there won't be a lot I want to keep. Even things I thought I wanted to keep, I now feel that I shall let go of. Even my Grandmothers oak dining table and mahogany china cabinet. I do have a few pieces of original art that I shall keep though, my cedar chest and a fair number of books, studio supplies, etc.
It will be a long process for me. Some things will be trucked to the dump, some taken to the thrift shop but I would like to try and sell some things too.
I am looking forward to buying some carefully chosen pieces at the other end and starting a new life... at my age!
I am looking forward to your posts about life in Dorset. All the best!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Oh, ta! I`m at the point where I`d still give up my seat on the metro to "an old person".
Me too and I'm 58, though not in the head LOL!!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you are now on the verge, how exciting!!!! I can't remember how long you have lived in the US Gab, how do your kids feel about making the move? Have they lived here before?

Don't forget to post your flight details on the tracker thread, looks like you will be the first pigeon to fly home this year.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
I think that's fantastic Gab. How very exciting. I too am going through "stuff" and there won't be a lot I want to keep. Even things I thought I wanted to keep, I now feel that I shall let go of. Even my Grandmothers oak dining table and mahogany china cabinet. I do have a few pieces of original art that I shall keep though, my cedar chest and a fair number of books, studio supplies, etc.
It will be a long process for me. Some things will be trucked to the dump, some taken to the thrift shop but I would like to try and sell some things too.
I am looking forward to buying some carefully chosen pieces at the other end and starting a new life... at my age!
I am looking forward to your posts about life in Dorset. All the best!
Thanks so much

Are you leaning more toward going home now?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I can't believe you are now on the verge, how exciting!!!! I can't remember how long you have lived in the US Gab, how do your kids feel about making the move? Have they lived here before?

Don't forget to post your flight details on the tracker thread, looks like you will be the first pigeon to fly home this year.
We have been here just over 6 years!

Both boys were born there, our eldest (H) remembers a fair bit, as he had just turned 7 when we arrived.
Our younger son was just 2, so has very hazy memories ...he says he remembers the Early learning Center!

lol...I'll post my details in the tracker...should have them quite soon!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here just over 6 years!

Both boys were born there, our eldest (H) remembers a fair bit, as he had just turned 7 when we arrived.
Our younger son was just 2, so has very hazy memories ...he says he remembers the Early learning Center!

lol...I'll post my details in the tracker...should have them quite soon!
Hey Gabby, do you have an actual date as such?...

I'm so excited for you, but I cant tell you how much I wish I was going too...
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Gabby, you must be so excited. I know I am. It just keeps bubbling up inside!

Today the agent who's looking for a house for us tweeted that she's spending the day in pretty Yorkshire villages on behalf of a client and I wanted to tell everyone "THAT'S ME! I'M GOING HOME!"

How is your husband about the whole thing? And are the boys excited or nervous?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Yorkshire? I highly recommend it! Thats where we live in the UK, very lovely!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:49 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Yorkshire? I highly recommend it! That's where we live in the UK, very lovely!
That's where I'm from Jemima (between Leeds and York). Initially we were hoping for Cumbria, but slow broadband speeds made us rethink. Now we're looking at the Ilkley, Harrogate or York areas.

I just love Yorkshire - the Dales, the coast, the North York Moors ... ahhh, it's home

What about you? Which part of Yorkshire?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hey Gabby, do you have an actual date as such?...

I'm so excited for you, but I cant tell you how much I wish I was going too...
No, no exact date ...just yet.

DH has his last day at work on the 17th, so really any time after that

Fish,I really hope *your* dreams come true too...SOON!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Gabby, you must be so excited. I know I am. It just keeps bubbling up inside!

Today the agent who's looking for a house for us tweeted that she's spending the day in pretty Yorkshire villages on behalf of a client and I wanted to tell everyone "THAT'S ME! I'M GOING HOME!"

How is your husband about the whole thing? And are the boys excited or nervous?
I *am* excited Sally!

My DH is beyond excited though, he actually prefers the UK.

The boys are really up for an adventure now, our 13 year old was reluctant initially. ..then he started junior High here... he now can't wait to get out!

That 'tweeting' must have been so heartwarming...knowing that *finally* your dreams are all coming to fruition.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Downton Abbey

http://www.viddler.com/v/9e51ead8
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I *am* excited Sally!

My DH is beyond excited though, he actually prefers the UK.

The boys are really up for an adventure now, our 13 year old was reluctant initially. ..then he started junior High here... he now can't wait to get out!

That 'tweeting' must have been so heartwarming...knowing that *finally* your dreams are all coming to fruition.
Thanks Gabby, Wow the 17th, that is close, you must be very excited... lets get um booked...

I hope 2012 proves to be a wonderful year for you and the others that are moving back, I can see Sally is excited too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.