Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
If you send your passport in a Royal Mail Special Delivery Silver Pouch they (London Oz High Commission) guarantee that the whole process from posting to return will take 3 - 5 days, as long as there are no bank holidays.

You can always go in person to get it done if in London.

Cheers

Matt.
Thanks very much Matt and Charlie for that information. Looks like I can get it done.
june
Old Oct 31st 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Whilst I haven't posted for a while, I've been watching all the threads, congratulations to those who have been granted a visa & to those who now have case officers - very envious

I'm in the process of completing yet more forms for police checks, I've booked my medical for November in the hope that I may get a case officer around Easter if not before - chance would be a fine thing & the info should be there ready & waiting. Please could someone let me know where they had their police checks returned to, the UK or had them couried or posted to OZ

What will we do with all the time we'll have on our hands when this process is over ??? Enjoy Adelaide I hope

thanks for all your help

Katie
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:07 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Katie1955
Hi all,

Whilst I haven't posted for a while, I've been watching all the threads, congratulations to those who have been granted a visa & to those who now have case officers - very envious

I'm in the process of completing yet more forms for police checks, I've booked my medical for November in the hope that I may get a case officer around Easter if not before - chance would be a fine thing & the info should be there ready & waiting. Please could someone let me know where they had their police checks returned to, the UK or had them couried or posted to OZ

What will we do with all the time we'll have on our hands when this process is over ??? Enjoy Adelaide I hope
thanks for all your help
Katie
Hi Katie-I have recently done my Police checks. I don't have a Case Officer yet but have decided to hang onto the Police check (and Form 80 which I am going to do as well) and send them directly to the CO when requested, by "International signed for " postal service or courier, addressed to him or her......I am not sure that I have enough faith that things sent to the PVC necessarily end up attached to my file!
Regards
Fiz
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably you have your visa label in your passports? As the visa is one of the documents required, those few that have had their visas issued electronically will need some form of proof of that, when going for their driving licences?

Cheers

Matt
It is not actually necessary to have a label in the passport as there is a government electronic system which all official bodies and visa holders have access to - they can then see what your status is. I have been onto the system and printed off the page with the relevant details and will carry this with me although it is not supposed to be necessary. The only hiccup may be if leaving a country that does not have access to the system - to return to Australia - where they may need proof that you have permission to enter Australia. If this is seen as a necessity then it is recommended that a label is put into the passport. They way it is worded it sounds rather as if they wil be reluctant to label the passport unless you really need it. I havae notyet encountered any problems but ....... everywhere seems to be different!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

I know some of your knowledgeable people on here have spent extended periods in Australia on a visitors visa. I was wondering whether you just took out normal travel insurance to cover any healthcare costs?

We are thinking of going over in June on a visitor’s visa and may stay there till our CPV is granted, probably in January/February 2012. So we would need cover for several months. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, most travel insurance companies require you to be a permanent resident of the UK and I am not sure how this would affect us if we were not coming back to the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:21 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

If you are going over as a visitor, whether for one week or 20, you can get a reciprocal card for health care which gives you access to Medicare etc. I have never had to use it but I believe it is very good. Most travel insurance policies restrict you to trips of 60 days or so ...I think the card would be your best bet-it's free too!

fiz
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:15 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiz
If you are going over as a visitor, whether for one week or 20, you can get a reciprocal card for health care which gives you access to Medicare etc. I have never had to use it but I believe it is very good. Most travel insurance policies restrict you to trips of 60 days or so ...I think the card would be your best bet-it's free too!

fiz
You can get travel insurance for longer periods at a price. You will find in the small print of most travel insurances covering you whilst in Oz, that you are required to register as a UK visitor with Medicare as soon as possible, otherwise you will not be covered! Just remember though that not everything is covered by Medicare, such as dentists & opticians, and that Medicare only repays a proportion of things like Xrays, operations etc.

My OH suffered from DVT when we were in Oz last Dec/Jan & found that the travel insurance paid out for the bits the Medicare didn't fully repay & all prescriptions, which are not free in Oz for the over 60s!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Hi Guys apolgies if this has been answered elsewhere but this is a huge thread

Me and my wife are Permanent Residents and my parents are now making noises about joining us out here in Perth. They pass Balance of Family me being the only child am I right in thinking that to process is applying for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) and then applying for the Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143) once they are here?

What is the current timescale for the Temporary Visa?

Also, if my wifes parents also wanted to join us out here is there any issues with us sponsoring both sets of parents providing we have the assurity in place for both?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:19 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianhutch1

Me and my wife are Permanent Residents and my parents are now making noises about joining us out here in Perth. They pass Balance of Family me being the only child am I right in thinking that to process is applying for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) and then applying for the Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143) once they are here?

Also, if my wifes parents also wanted to join us out here is there any issues with us sponsoring both sets of parents providing we have the assurity in place for both?

Thanks in advance
Hello there.

The 173 visa is a temporary alternative to the 143. Most people seem to apply for the 143 initially, but the advantage of the 173 is that the initial outlay is lower (lower second VAC and no bond is required). This can buy some time to save for the rest of the 143 fee and/or give the migrant a chance to see if relocating will work out, reducing the financial risk. We opted for the 143 as we wanted all the rights of permanent residency and didn't want to have to go through the bureaucracy twice.

I don't think there would be a problem with the sponsorship issue, but for sure one of us on this thread will have an insight.

Best of luck

Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

Timescales for temporary and permanent visas are the same. Check out some typical timescales on the magnificent spreadsheet designed and managed by our Steve.

www.gainwave.co.uk

Charlie
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fiz

fiz
Oh, thank you and thanks to Sirmatt, I didn't know that. How do we get the card? Do we go to a Medicare office? Do we need to show any particular documents?

Last edited by DaveandLinda; Nov 2nd 2010 at 11:29 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks in advance
Hi Ian

It's Lisa's mum. There should be no problem with sponsorship as you could sponsor your parents and your wife could sponsor her parents. As you say the only problem is with the Assurance of Support as you need to earning a certain level to put this up for one set of parents

Have a look here:

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_act...-9.4.3.30.html

Linda
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:46 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Oh, thank you and thanks to Sirmatt, I didn't know that. How do we get the card? Do we go to a Medicare office? Do we need to show any particular documents?
Hi, you need to go to any Medicare office & take your passports, an address where you will be staying, and they also ask for dates you arrived in Oz and when you intend to leave. We had to go and extend ours as we stayed an extra month. They give you a temporary card and send a better one in the mail about a week later.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, you need to go to any Medicare office & take your passports, an address where you will be staying, and they also ask for dates you arrived in Oz and when you intend to leave. We had to go and extend ours as we stayed an extra month. They give you a temporary card and send a better one in the mail about a week later.

Cheers

Matt
G'Day

Last visit, we were told that they now issue a proper card only if you're there for more than three months (I think it was) – otherwise you have to make do with a kind of "till receipt" slip.

If you make repeated visits, you keep the same Medicare number (one per family, not per person), with only the last digit changing. (In fact, when our daughter – now a permanent resident – applied for hers, she was asked "Did you live at such-and-such address in 1984?" Big Brother is watching!)

Mike
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road

Cheers

Matt
We found it also helps if you take your UK Health Insurance Card with you, it used to be the form E111, as it proves you are covered with your home countries National Heath Scheme as the Medicare Scheme is a reciprocal agreement between the two.

DJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.