Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

MidnightLight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

PayPal requires that you close your existing account and re-open a new one in the other country. They don't allow you to simply switch your account's registered country, apparently due to legal constraints and financial regulations.

You could just open a new account without closing the old one, but that's technically against PayPal's Terms of Service. Each person is only permitted to have one personal and one business account.

Your eBay account can be switched over to another country easily, no problem. I've done that twice myself.

Last edited by MidnightLight; Jun 2nd 2010 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:46 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I had issues with eBay/Paypal after the move. Changing your address won't do it. You need to sort out the fact that Paypal has your 'billing currency' as GBP. Also you may have issues with eBay thinking you are still in the UK.

I did the eBay live chat thing to sort out everything so that ALL settings in eBay recognised me as fully 'US-ready'.

For Paypal, you can change your billing currency via the link on ebay as described here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/bill...rency.html#how
I just got this problem, trying to bid on a collectible WWII bayonet. It wouldn't let me because of the ebay.co.uk knives policy.

I spent 1 hour and 46 minutes on live chat with a muppet, before I turned up your post. Changing the billing currency appears to be the key - it sets the "registration site" field in the back end of your account records to whatever country's currency you select and it appears to be this field that ebay uses when deciding to apply regional policies, not your address or the fact that your account is linked to a US paypal account.

So, I followed your instructions and that fixed it. No thanks to the ebay muppet.

I believe that this step may be the definitive step in properly porting an ebay account from the UK to another country. Might be worth sticking it in one of the wiki pages, if anybody can think of an appropriate place.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I believe that this step may be the definitive step in properly porting an ebay account from the UK to another country. Might be worth sticking it in one of the wiki pages, if anybody can think of an appropriate place.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Banking-USA

Tack it to the end of that page as a Misc to banking perhaps?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:14 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aklor
I have a question for any seasoned Ebay/Paypal users here.

In the UK we have the Online Royal Mail postage thingymajig, where you can purchase stamps online in the form of a barcode label, stick into onto your parcel and then just drop it off at the post office. No need to queue up for ages.

I'm a regular Ebay user and this is the method I've been using for quite a few years.

I was wondering if the postal service in the States has a similar kind of service.
Yes, you can print your labels/postage at home, and then schedule a pick up from home (for free) so that you don't even have to take it and drop it at the post office. Saved me a load of time cos our nearest post office is quite a way away...we have a thousand nail salons and donut shops within 50' of our front door, but have to cross time zones to a post office
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

bodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nicebodypaintgirl is just really nice

All I did was change my address to my new us one and it seems to be working fine!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:02 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bodypaintgirl
All I did was change my address to my new us one and it seems to be working fine!
Excellent! This means we can test the hypothesis. If you don't mind, try bidding on a knife or bayonet (if you want to be extra safe, pick a rare, expensive, one with a reserve price like item # 360320593195 and just bid 99 cents or something - there's no way you'd get stuck winning the auction).

If my theory is correct, ebay will block you from bidding, citing the ebay.co.uk knives policy.

Then follow BG36's instructions and try again. If it lets you, then the hypothesis has not been falsified.