Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Notes for Form C1 (specifically countersignatures)

Notes for Form C1 (specifically countersignatures)

Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Notes for Form C1 (specifically countersignatures)

I have read (many, many, many) threads that indicate that when renewing a UK passport in the US you do not need to get a countersignature (assuming you don't look a lot different and your passport hasn't been expired for a long time). My problem is that the notes for Form C1 do not make mention of that. As far as I can see you must fill out section 9 (countersignature), (no ifs ands or buts). I note that the direct.gov site indicates that this is not necessary if you are applying from the UK, but then that's a different form.

Have the rules changed recently?

If I do need a countersignature, I assume a notary public, even one who has know me for many years wouldn't work?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notes for Form C1 (specifically countersignatures)

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I have read (many, many, many) threads that indicate that when renewing a UK passport in the US you do not need to get a countersignature (assuming you don't look a lot different and your passport hasn't been expired for a long time).
That is correct - I renewed my UK passport earlier this year without a countersignature.

My problem is that the notes for Form C1 do not make mention of that. As far as I can see you must fill out section 9 (countersignature), (no ifs ands or buts). I note that the direct.gov site indicates that this is not necessary if you are applying from the UK, but then that's a different form.

Have the rules changed recently?
I don't think so. The C1 form covers lots of different situations and the notes for it are not always particularly clear but I do not believe that a countersignature has been required for a "simple" renewal at any time in at least the last 10 years.

If I do need a countersignature, I assume a notary public, even one who has know me for many years wouldn't work?
Sounds like you don't need a countersignature, but if you did I would assume that someone like a notary public who also knows you personally would be OK.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Re: Notes for Form C1 (specifically countersignatures)

So you just leave section 9 blank? Even though when you have completed Section 8 says to go to section 9?

This is, (can I just say?) nuts. I don't think I've ever filled out an "official" form where you could choose to ignore a direct instruction. The notes say "When you have completed the form, someone who has known you personally for two years should complete and sign Section 9". Mind you, having waded through several pages on the ukinusa site simply to find out what fee I should be paying, nothing would surprise me.