Visitor visa (subclass 600) question

Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitor visa (subclass 600) question

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the Visitor visa (subclass 600). This allows the holder to visit or conduct business for up to three, six or twelve months. The duration of the visa is determined upon application, "depending on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances".

I would like to know if anyone has used this visa to spend six months in Australia every year, for example, to spend each Northern Hemisphere winter in Australia? I am concerned that annual applications for a six-month duration visa could sooner or later lead to a refusal.

If anyone is doing this (using a Visitor visa (subclass 600) to spend six months every year in Australia), I would be grateful to hear their experiences.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) question

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I wonder if anyone has any experience of the Visitor visa (subclass 600). This allows the holder to visit or conduct business for up to three, six or twelve months. The duration of the visa is determined upon application, "depending on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances".

I would like to know if anyone has used this visa to spend six months in Australia every year, for example, to spend each Northern Hemisphere winter in Australia? I am concerned that annual applications for a six-month duration visa could sooner or later lead to a refusal.

If anyone is doing this (using a Visitor visa (subclass 600) to spend six months every year in Australia), I would be grateful to hear their experiences.
The probem is that eventually - maybe after using this for a f3/4 years - it starts to look to immigration as if you are trying to live in Australia on what is essentially a tourist visa, and as a result you risk either a visa denail, or a refusal when you try to enter the country.

Do you have family here? that might help your case if DIBP could see you are a genuine visitor.. They'd alsobe looking to make sure you wouldn't be working here so the more ties to your home country the better, and the identity of the home country might even make a difference, depending on the risk of overstaying.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee

I have only ever heard of one person doing that on BE, well it was somebody's parents actually whilst in retirement. Not many people would be able to find a job that accommodates six months working and six months not, so would have to be independently wealthy.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The probem is that eventually - maybe after using this for a f3/4 years - it starts to look to immigration as if you are trying to live in Australia on what is essentially a tourist visa, and as a result you risk either a visa denail, or a refusal when you try to enter the country.
That's my concern. If I were to buy a small apartment for use every six months, a visa refusal would really leave me stuck.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do you have family here? that might help your case if DIBP could see you are a genuine visitor. They'd also be looking to make sure you wouldn't be working here so the more ties to your home country the better, and the identity of the home country might even make a difference, depending on the risk of overstaying.
No, I don't have family in Australia. I have just retired, and thinking about alternatives to the Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405). Perhaps what I should do is to spend six months in Australia (using a Visitor visa (subclass 600)), and then if everything goes well, apply for a Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405).