Skilled worker help

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Ashly1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled worker help

Hi everyone. I am looking into moving to oz permenant to work and live. Went on a years visa and loved it. I'm looking to get either one of these qualifications;

City & Guilds Level 3 QCF Diploma in Domestic Gas Engineering

Level 2 Technical Certificate in Domestic Heating and Ventilation

Both of these are plumbing, ones a college courSe and one is with British gas. Would either of these be acceptable to move to oz as I'm having alot of trouble trying to find this information out.

Thanks !
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Dannyb165 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled worker help

Hi,

I am a British gas engineer also. I have completed my TRA, which is the assessment that you need to complete in order to get the relevant AQ. If you have a NVQ level 3 then you should not have a problem getting passed as a gas fitter, that is on the SOL. (Skilled occupation list). You will need more that 3 years experience at level 3 to pass the TRA, you may need more if you do not have enough points for the visa. If you want any more info let me know.

Thanks Danny
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic info thankyou for this. I was hoping more to do the heating and ventilation as I've just been accepted onto the course. Now with a level 2 and a few years work would this be good enough? I would have the most points for age and English.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Sorry miss read some of your first post. I thought you had the uk qualifications. To go as a gas fitter then you need to have NVQ LEVEL 3 and at least 3 years employment in that area. This is a link from the TRA website about that criteria:

2.8 Meeting the eligibility requirements: employment
Employment will be recognised as meeting the TRA Migration Skills Assessment requirements if it is:
 paid, full-time (or equivalent) employment
 relevant to the nominated occupation
 performed at the required skill level for Australian industry standards
 for at least three years, including 12 months in the last two years.

You could go as a plumber too but not sure if the criteria is the same, the assessing body is called vetassess.

Some useful places about the process are:

Diac website. This is the main staring point really. You would apply under skill select probably a 189 or 190 visa.
http://www.immi.gov.au/

This is the TRA website that has the criteria for getting the relevant Australian qualification.
http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/...s/default.aspx

Skills assessment is the first step really as without this there is no point in applying for a visa.
While you are on the diac website, in skill select, check out how many points you get in total.

I think that you maybe need to wait until you have the qualifications and amount of experience before applying sorry.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Do remember there is no certainty either of these will be on the list by the time you are in a position to apply. The lists are updated regularly and occupations come on and go off
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Thankyou again. I will be waiting until I get my qualifications and experiance. I'm just starting to look into the chance of it happening. I've travelled australia twice now and just fell in love with it so I'm hoping it will eventually all go to plan. And also have two of my mates living there. I'm aware that by then those skills may not be on there but it was something I was thinking of studying before so fingers crossed it will still be on the SOL. Thanks for the help
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Stevo88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys, new to this forum here but got a similar story to Danny. No plumbing qualifications just NVQ 3 Gas and the rest of the carry on. Just trying to work out the best way of getting a plumbing license, i have also used the TRA and had my qualifications recognised. Am i correct in saying that i would need to have plumbing certificates just to work on gas in Victoria ?

Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi stevo88, just thought i would give a update as you are in the same boat as me. I have already applied to the Victoria building authority for my gas fitters licence, I applied about 2 weeks ago and had a response on monday saying that they want to interview me on 3-6-14 ( i will be calling them to change this as we do not arrive until 13-6-14). This gives us a idea of the time scale for the wait for a interview. You do not need a plumbers licence to get a gas one as the application form asks you what individual licence you want to apply for. the fee is $50 to apply. hope this gives you something to go on. Application is on the VBA website.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for that mate fantastic info, think i need to get your phone number? We head out there in July! Would be nice to hook up ... I've tried to private message you but with being a new user I'm now allowed yet. Where in the UK do you live now ?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevo88
Cheers for that mate fantastic info, think i need to get your phone number? We head out there in July! Would be nice to hook up ... I've tried to private message you but with being a new user I'm now allowed yet. Where in the UK do you live now ?
You only need one more post so you will soon be able to swap details privately
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Well lets christen it with this 3rd post, haha. Pretty amazing how good this forum is .... in the space of 3 hours i have found out a lot of useful information. Things in Australia don't seem set in stone and different organising bodies contradict each other, ah well ... she'll be rate mate!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevo88
Well lets christen it with this 3rd post, haha. Pretty amazing how good this forum is .... in the space of 3 hours i have found out a lot of useful information. Things in Australia don't seem set in stone and different organising bodies contradict each other, ah well ... she'll be rate mate!
Sounds like you are learning fast! Glad you are enjoying BE, we have a wonderful community here and we all started of with basic questions and a little knowledge - welcome
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

djr32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all i am in a similar boat except that i am a domestic and commercial boiler and gas engineer with over 10 years experience i to also find it difficult to pin down exactly what sort of application process i should use i have many friends and family over there already.