Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I think our letting agent imposed the no pets rule as a matter of course on our UK house, but actually since I just wanted happy tenants who`d stay I wouldnt have minded!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I am not the world's most fashionable person - jeans for every occasion! - but I have seen lots of people here wearing fleeces that look just like the ones I brought from America. I don't think you'd find it was a problem.

The one thing I need but don't have yet is a good, light raincoat.
Our cagoules and walking boots have languished unused in our Washington basement but are requisite in North Yorkshire!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I am not the world's most fashionable person - jeans for every occasion! - but I have seen lots of people here wearing fleeces that look just like the ones I brought from America. I don't think you'd find it was a problem.

The one thing I need but don't have yet is a good, light raincoat.
Sally I am a big fan of TK Maxx, you can pick up a lightweight rain jacket in there that is de riguer in the Lake District for a bargain price.

I have one branded Regatta Great Outdoors that kept me dry over the weekend though did very little to help with the biting cold............brrrr.............

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 30th 2012 at 7:55 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I think our letting agent imposed the no pets rule as a matter of course on our UK house, but actually since I just wanted happy tenants who`d stay I wouldnt have minded!
My thought exectly, the couple we have in now are great tenants when they asked if they could have a small dog I did not hesitate to agree to it.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beedubya;10032388]
Originally Posted by jasper123

Thanks Rodney,

Of those you have named and the rest, I think there are at least 15 of us who have made it back so far, with lots of others in the wings. David and his partner, Gabgoeshome, J and J and so it goes on............

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a reunion somewhere in the middle maybe???

Well so far I have met 2 from here who posted a little, one was a lady I met up in Altrincham one day, we went for lunch and she was lovely, Norma, she was thinking of going to live in Spain, so she may have gone as I haven't seen her on here ever again or heard from her.

The other is Sue, who I have met twice so far, in fact we met up just last Saturday and had a nice day in Hampstead until the weather turned really bad, we get on really well and have so much in common knowing the ex pat thing, she was living in the USA and her son is still there, she *knows* all of you too as she reads here every day so we have LOTS to talk about.

Hi Sue!!!
Hi Barb, well I did say that I have not met any of the posters, but most know that Don ----- dontheturner and his wife Tippawan invited me up to Telford in Shropshire for a 3 day stay at there house last year, I really enjoyed that, they are great people, I was on my best behavior so I do hope Im invited again
Don and I keep in touch by email regular and he is doing fine,
About the reunion Barb Put me down on that list for sure, and yes in the middle somewhere like Birmingham area would be good, and its only a hop skip and a jump from Don's place, Quite a ways for me but who cares I would go to timbutoo for the chance to meet everyone, Barb do you know the names of most of the posters that are already home ---- and do they still post on here,
I must admit I am absolutely useless at organising anything, so could you make it happen and bring everyone together? I even have difficulty organising a trip to my hairdresser for my next hair cut that reminds me Im about 3 weeks over due at the moment, if I dont get my but down there soon I will be looking like a freaking old senior type hippy from the 60's ---- I used to be one of them you know the whole nine yards. ---- in the 60's in Australia my first country I emigrated to, I was a £10 pom.
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Great news on the job front Charleygirl, so well done there!!! We always knew it wasn't going to be easy, right?

As soon as you get straight, let's arrange to meet in old London town!!!! I would love that Denise.

Still waiting for Rodney to book though.............

Is your daughter's fare based on being a student? I have never found anything that cheap though you can get good deals on Virgin trains, but you have to book way ahead.
Barb ----- Old London Town sounds mighty fab to me, why dont all three of us meet there in the smoke say around 10 am or at least before 12 noon, You and Denise and me will have a good old time together, we could see a bit of London on the Tube or Bus, have a nice lunch,
You think about what time would be convenient for you both, Denise has my cell number, so lets do it, lets all meet up, its about time Huh!!!!!
May hopefully will be a lot less rain, and more Sun, OMG what a lot of rain we have been having lately
Old May 1st 2012, 5:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Barb ----- Old London Town sounds mighty fab to me, why dont all three of us meet there in the smoke say around 10 am or at least before 12 noon, You and Denise and me will have a good old time together, we could see a bit of London on the Tube or Bus, have a nice lunch,
You think about what time would be convenient for you both, Denise has my cell number, so lets do it, lets all meet up, its about time Huh!!!!!
May hopefully will be a lot less rain, and more Sun, OMG what a lot of rain we have been having lately
That sounds like a FABULOUS idea Rodney, but we will have to wait for Denise to get straight, shouldn't be long now.

The weather yesterday was glorious here, blue skies, fluffy white clouds and warm sunshine, HOWEVER it is 6.40am here on May 1st and we have grey skies and heavy rain again.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Can I gatecrash? London is very do-able for me too
Old May 1st 2012, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Another very wet day here too, unbelievable after yesterday.
Barb the 7 pound fare was with National Express Funfare is what it is called... book a week or so in advance.. so 14 quid Leicester to London and back.
I would love to meet, so my other daughter arrives on 16th and is here for 2 weeks, maybe we could plan something for that time, I know they want a day or two in London.. Barb is a weekend day best for you. Lets do this!! Quoll the more the merrier!

I got a great waterproof from Blacks in the sale at end of winter ( haha yes right). 10 quid or something ridiculous not warm but keeps out the rain.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Another very wet day here too, unbelievable after yesterday.
Barb the 7 pound fare was with National Express Funfare is what it is called... book a week or so in advance.. so 14 quid Leicester to London and back.
I would love to meet, so my other daughter arrives on 16th and is here for 2 weeks, maybe we could plan something for that time, I know they want a day or two in London.. Barb is a weekend day best for you. Lets do this!! Quoll the more the merrier!

I got a great waterproof from Blacks in the sale at end of winter ( haha yes right). 10 quid or something ridiculous not warm but keeps out the rain.
Denise, that sounds great to me, so if you keep in touch with Barb, she's the good organizer, and yes Quoll that would be great to have you along too, in fact come on wheres all those others who have made it back to these UK shores? post please? so we can get a count, Barb thinks its about 15 of us, so lets get this ball rolling and try to get as many of the old posters on this thread together in the old smoke and we can have our re-union within a few weeks lovely
Old May 1st 2012, 2:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Denise, that sounds great to me, so if you keep in touch with Barb, she's the good organizer, and yes Quoll that would be great to have you along too, in fact come on wheres all those others who have made it back to these UK shores? post please? so we can get a count, Barb thinks its about 15 of us, so lets get this ball rolling and try to get as many of the old posters on this thread together in the old smoke and we can have our re-union within a few weeks lovely
Sue my lurker friend wants to come too!! Any day is good for me Denise I can just take an annual leave day and it may be quieter in the week than on weekends, so far then it's:

JASPER 123
CHARLEYGIRL
QUOLL
??????? SUE
BEEDUBYA

So that's 5 of us so far, come on let's get the ball rolling folks!!
Old May 1st 2012, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

woodswife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all!

This is my first day finding this thread and I hope it will help my husband and I as we try to prepare for a move to the Bath/Bristol area of England in about two years.

My husband is British and has been living in Canada for 22 years (he's just applied for Canadian citizenship that will take 19 months to get), and he wants to move back for a couple of years (or more) to be close to aging family. I am a Canadian and Hungarian citizen (waiting for my EU Passport) so luckily neither of us will require a Visa to work.

We are planning to rent out our home in Toronto until we decide if we will stay "forever". So basically we will put our Canadian life on a temporary hold.

Can anyone help out with what paperwork we will need to get going? How does my husband find out his old NI number? Do I need to apply for that being an Hungarian citizen?

My husband will be 55 at the time of this move and did work before he left... How can we find out about any pensions or benefits he may qualify for?

We both plan to work and hope that at least one of us secures a job before arrival.

Thanks in advance - sifting through all 700+ pages of this thread was too much!

Cheers!
Aniko
Old May 1st 2012, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Sue my lurker friend wants to come too!! Any day is good for me Denise I can just take an annual leave day and it may be quieter in the week than on weekends, so far then it's:

JASPER 123
CHARLEYGIRL
QUOLL
??????? SUE
BEEDUBYA

So that's 5 of us so far, come on let's get the ball rolling folks!!
I'm quite flexible as to day as well, I do have to be around for the aged rellies doctor/hospital dates but generally can reorganize things
Old May 1st 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Anika!
You can trace an NI number here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm#5
Fill in a form and mail it off.
Your husband will need to have paid 30 years of contributions to be eligible for a full state pension, contributions can be made up though. I found they were very helpful and sent me a forcast etc. and how many years I was short and a timeline to pay .
Good luck with your plans and welcome.

Quoll will def come back with some dates soon then.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Well after a very long absence and a very busy year I felt it was long overdue to post again. I see a lot of the old timers are still here and a few more have moved back to these shores. Hopefully some may still remember me. My partner and I are well and truly settled in Brixham, Devon. After major renovations on both the house and cottage we finally started renting out our cottage on April 6th. Things are going well and we are getting a few bookings.

Have only made one trip out of Devon so far and that was to the Home Office in Croydon to apply for my partner's ILR (Visa) which he was succesful in getting.
Hopefully this year we will have more time to explore and would also like to spend some time on my sister and brother in law's narrow boat.

Hope everyone is well and happy and for those back here hope you are happy with your move. I am now going to spend some time catching up on some previous posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.