Spanish music

Old May 12th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish music

You know the type of Spanish acoustic guitar music where the singer sounds like his wobbly bits are being squashed? I like the sound, can anyone recommend some artists for me to listen too?

This sort of thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yng0n...eature=related

Last edited by bob_bob; May 12th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old May 13th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish music

Originally Posted by bob_bob
You know the type of Spanish acoustic guitar music where the singer sounds like his wobbly bits are being squashed? I like the sound, can anyone recommend some artists for me to listen too?

This sort of thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yng0n...eature=related
Just put Spanish acoustic guitar into Google search.
Old May 13th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Just put Spanish acoustic guitar into Google search.
Done that, personal recommendations are really preferred over perhaps the only good song an artist has done and its ended up on youtube.
Old May 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan myself (something of an acquired taste, IMO), but amongst my gitano neighbours Camaron de la Isla is the one most often mentioned, he is still pretty much revered even by the young ones in their '20s although he's been dead for some years.

I do like Maria Jimenez though, we have some of her CDs. She reminds me of some ways of Marianne Faithfull (as she is now, not in the '60s), her voice certainly sounds like someone who has been around the block a few times!
Old May 13th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with specific recommendations but you could try FlamencoRadio here. They publish their playlist so if you hear something you like you can see what it was.

http://www.canalsur.es/portal_rtva/w...mencoradio.com
Old May 13th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Gusi is an unknown quantity at this point

Some 'clasical' flamenco singers:

http://listas.eleconomista.es/musica...es-de-flamenco

Some more 'modern' flamenco singers (fusion with jazz, pop or others)

José Mercé:

Estrella Morente:

Miguel Poveda:

"A ciegas" or "Loving you blindly". This is a desperate love song from the soundtrack of one of Almodovar's films. It can easily make you cry if you understand the lyrics.

If you're a Spotify user you'll find plenty of them easily.

Last edited by Gusi; May 13th 2012 at 6:47 pm.
Old May 13th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Gusi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_bob
You know the type of Spanish acoustic guitar music where the singer sounds like his wobbly bits are being squashed?
Flamenco music is mostly misunderstanded by foreigners who usually don't quite 'get it'. Don't worry, the same applies to many spaniards as well. Lyrics are very important and if you don't understand them it might seem just like a a complete nonsense. But believe me, it's not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamenco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamenco_singers

The singer who sings seguiriyas leaves in each line of the copla (verse of cante) a piece of his soul; and, if not, he is deceiving the listener, perhaps even himself. If there is one style to which the singer has to give everything, has to give every bit of himself, it is the siguiriya. I have seen José Menese completely overcome, broken, a literal wreck after doing this song and I believe that if the singer sometimes reaches the kind of state of grace that the Gypsies call duende - and I don't know yet what that is - it is in these duende unique and unrepeatable moments.

— Ángel Álvaro Caballero, Historia del Cante Flamenco
90% of the lyrics are sad, dark songs. Even for me (spanish) it took many years and a move to Granada to really appretiate flamenco.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

A Spanish flamenco singer surprised me the other evening by saying that flamenco was arabe-andaluz and that the gypsies had pinched it (along with much else).
I thought it was a bit like saying that American blues was pinched by the black people from the indians. Fascinating but unlikely...
Old May 15th 2012, 7:13 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Do a forum search, I think it was in Siesta time but we had a long thread on Spanish/Latin music going, there were quite a few varied options in that thread from all sides of the music spectrum.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:16 am
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice

The gypsy kings are my fav.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:32 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMckenna
The gypsy kings are my fav.
the are considered to be "the Des O Connor" of that genre of music.............
Old May 15th 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
the are considered to be "the Des O Connor" of that genre of music.............

Yes true. But he's very popular at whatever ancient age he's reached and actually doesn't sound half bad, just like the G Kings. It's just that it's not 'pure' so some folk deem it cr*p.

Not sure I'd buy a D O'C CD though - whereas I have got GKs
Old May 15th 2012, 8:49 am
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice

Well I think there good anyway :-)
Old May 15th 2012, 11:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Do a forum search, I think it was in Siesta time but we had a long thread on Spanish/Latin music going, there were quite a few varied options in that thread from all sides of the music spectrum.
we've had 2 pretty long ones

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=music+spanish

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=music+spanish
Old May 15th 2012, 11:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
A Spanish flamenco singer surprised me the other evening by saying that flamenco was arabe-andaluz and that the gypsies had pinched it (along with much else).
I thought it was a bit like saying that American blues was pinched by the black people from the indians. Fascinating but unlikely...
I believe that is true, I read a bit about it in Duende by Jason Webster a British guy who made his mark in Spanish Flamenco music, also in another book on Spain, title I can't recall, based on life in Andalucia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.