Very pleasantly surprised.

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very pleasantly surprised.

Insince arriving back in the UK I have been very pleasantly surprised by many things, especially things I was 'warned' about. Fresh food in supermarkets is easily as good and as fresh as in Australia and importantly mostly cheaper. The variety available in shops, especially food, is extraordinary and still makes my wife smile when we go into a huge Asda or Tesco. Almost without exception the people are happy, helpful and cheerful, it helps living In a village but when I try to do any work outside I am constantly having to stop to chat with neighbours and locals. I'm certainly not complaining.
Generally we have found most things to be either cheaper or comparable in price here.
We haven't encountered any hoodies and we haven't seen any gangs on street corners.
It isn't all rosey of course but nowhere near as bad as some would have us believe.
All in all in
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all
Default Re: Very pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by chris955
Insince arriving back in the UK I have been very pleasantly surprised by many things, especially things I was 'warned' about. Fresh food in supermarkets is easily as good and as fresh as in Australia and importantly mostly cheaper. The variety available in shops, especially food, is extraordinary and still makes my wife smile when we go into a huge Asda or Tesco. Almost without exception the people are happy, helpful and cheerful, it helps living In a village but when I try to do any work outside I am constantly having to stop to chat with neighbours and locals. I'm certainly not complaining.
Generally we have found most things to be either cheaper or comparable in price here.
We haven't encountered any hoodies and we haven't seen any gangs on street corners.
It isn't all rosey of course but nowhere near as bad as some would have us believe.
All in all in
What a lovely post!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I just don't see the UK some people describe, rubbish everywhere, ignorant, rude, miserable people, the country going down the toilet etc.

Originally Posted by ohdearydear
What a lovely post!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Great thread/posts - thanks for sharing!

I'll soon be returning to the UK with my US citizen wife so it's great to read stuff like this.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:06 pm
Banned

No problem at all. Don't get me wrong, like every other country there are problems but they really are nowhere near as bad as some would have us believe.Me

Originally Posted by Egon
Great thread/posts - thanks for sharing!

I'll soon be returning to the UK with my US citizen wife so it's great to read stuff like this.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I just don't see the UK some people describe, rubbish everywhere, ignorant, rude, miserable people, the country going down the toilet etc.
I totally agree with you. The place that is often described on this board certainly isnt the Britain I am fortunate enough to live in. I dare say if I lived in central Bradford I may think differently but, even then, my friend's son does own a house in Bradford and is very happy with his situation!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thanks for the great report. Look forward to hearing more!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:57 am
Banned

Yes if I lived in some deprived area in an inner city I would have a different opinion but I hope unlike some I wouldnt use that experience to tar the whole country with the same brush. I have heard people often say 'well you could never do that in the UK', well we must be special as we do it all the time. You couldnt leave anything outside here as it would get nicked, thank goodness there is no crime in Australia I'm not sure if people think before they make these ridiculous statements or it makes them feel better about the decision they have made ?

Originally Posted by quoll
I totally agree with you. The place that is often described on this board certainly isnt the Britain I am fortunate enough to live in. I dare say if I lived in central Bradford I may think differently but, even then, my friend's son does own a house in Bradford and is very happy with his situation!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

What’s wrong with Bradford ?

Not everyone’s cup of tea granted but nevertheless it has character and facilities many people enjoy.

• Culturally diverse
• Excellent world class Photography Museum.
• Museum of ‘Colour’
• Excellent authentic curry restaurants
• New paved city centre that puts Brisbane’s City Square to shame.
• New city centre precinct being built.

Not everyone is able to live in middle class ‘posh’ areas in Britain and seem to look down at working class people who live in less salubrious areas.

I for one admire what Bradford City Council has done to the city over the last few years to modernize and regenerate while trying to keep the character of an old working class, industrial city.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

My waistline is showing how much I`m enjoying food back in England
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

All in all in
I totally agree!
We've been back in London 6 weeks now and loving every minute of it, though it still feels very much like an extended vacation at the moment!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 8:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea
What’s wrong with Bradford ?

Not everyone’s cup of tea granted but nevertheless it has character and facilities many people enjoy.
True. I wouldn't want to live there, but my two oldest friends live in the Bradford metropolitan area and they genuinely love it. One said to me recently "I wish I loved Harrogate - it would make life much easier - but I don't. I love Bradford." He is an integral part of the community and has worked to create a thriving artistic community in the city. My other close friend is enamored of the food and is taking us out for a curry two weeks from now. My mouth is watering in advance!

Jemima55, amen, I needed to lose weight when I arrived back and the chocolate and pub grub and chippies haven't made it any easier.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I am fed up of being ripped off on food prices in NZ, we have just returned from a holiday in OZ where according to Kiwis is way cheaper blah blah blah
The 10 day holiday cost us far more than a fortnight in Italy where we ate out everynight. we could not afford more than 3/10 nights, the accomodation was a rip off, dirty and disgusting

Agreed more choice than NZ but still expensive can not wait to return so looking forward to the choice and muller yogurts!!!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
True. I wouldn't want to live there, but my two oldest friends live in the Bradford metropolitan area and they genuinely love it. One said to me recently "I wish I loved Harrogate - it would make life much easier - but I don't. I love Bradford." He is an integral part of the community and has worked to create a thriving artistic community in the city. My other close friend is enamored of the food and is taking us out for a curry two weeks from now. My mouth is watering in advance!

Jemima55, amen, I needed to lose weight when I arrived back and the chocolate and pub grub and chippies haven't made it any easier.
Despite all of the negativity about Bradford, it has character and history. There are still many magnificent Victorian buildings and the Wool Exchange in Bradford was where all of the wool once bought and sold throughout the British Empire was traded. Also, Bronte Country, Saltaire Village, Worth Valley Railway, and Ilkley fall in the Bradford tourist area. Bradford was a significent city during the Industrial Revolution. It also probably has the best Indian/Pakistani food in the UK. Major national restaurant chains like Akbars originated there. Happy eating!

Have a look at their tourist website:

http://www.visitbradford.com/

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 17th 2012 at 8:31 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying Johnh009, but I think you'd that it's a stretch to put Ilkley in with Bradford - and I say that as someone who went to "Ilkley and Bradford College" back when it existed.

One recent survey found that Ilkley is now the most expensive market town outside the south of England - it's even more affluent than Harrogate. I don't know anyone from round here who would claim Bradford and Ilkley had anything more to do with each other than Ilkley and Sheffield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.