Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

The 'Which line to stand in?' answer

The 'Which line to stand in?' answer

Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'Which line to stand in?' answer

Hey, been a while since I posted...

Again, thank you to everyone that helped my now wife and I through the whole immigration process.

We've added a new son to our family ... he was born 7/14/06, in upstate New York. We're getting close to filing the necessary paperwork to get him British citizenship. If anyone reading this has done this, I'd appreciate your experiences

Recently, armed with my cream-coloured green card, my family of four took a trip to visit my parents in England - first time in 1.5 years.

Now this may be REALLY obvious to just about anybody, but it quite surprised us! Yeah yeah, we're really innocent travelers ;p Anyway, when we reached immigration in the UK, I kissed goodbye to my wife, our 4yr old and our 2 month old as they were all only American citizens and were destined for the 'Non British Citizen' line. I headed towards the Brit's line, and within a couple of seconds, one of the employees there told us that we could all go together in the UK line. Bonus! We just saved ourselves what looked like to be over an hours' worth of waiting.

On the way back to the US, we figured we'd try again. I went into the US Cit's line, handed over all four passports and my 'green' card and had no problems.

Also, both directions we didn't get asked what our intentions for staying were... or how long. That's a first for us both.

Did we just get lucky, or are they not so strict about it? What if it had been just two friends traveling together?

Anyways, for those people still going through the whole process of trying to be with your loved one - hang in there. It's hell being apart, but when it's all over, you've got the rest of your lives together to make up for it =)

Best wishes,

Smaug
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Which line to stand in?' answer

Originally Posted by Smaug

Again, thank you to everyone that helped my now wife and I through the whole immigration process.

We've added a new son to our family ... he was born 7/14/06, in upstate New York. We're getting close to filing the necessary paperwork to get him British citizenship. If anyone reading this has done this, I'd appreciate your experiences

Recently, armed with my cream-coloured green card, my family of four took a trip to visit my parents in England - first time in 1.5 years.

Now this may be REALLY obvious to just about anybody, but it quite surprised us! Yeah yeah, we're really innocent travelers ;p Anyway, when we reached immigration in the UK, I kissed goodbye to my wife, our 4yr old and our 2 month old as they were all only American citizens and were destined for the 'Non British Citizen' line. I headed towards the Brit's line, and within a couple of seconds, one of the employees there told us that we could all go together in the UK line. Bonus! We just saved ourselves what looked like to be over an hours' worth of waiting.

On the way back to the US, we figured we'd try again. I went into the US Cit's line, handed over all four passports and my 'green' card and had no problems.

Also, both directions we didn't get asked what our intentions for staying were... or how long. That's a first for us both.

Did we just get lucky, or are they not so strict about it? What if it had been just two friends traveling together?

Anyways, for those people still going through the whole process of trying to be with your loved one - hang in there. It's hell being apart, but when it's all over, you've got the rest of your lives together to make up for it =)

Best wishes,

Smaug

Friends would have to go in different lines (if one was USC and one wasnt) because the officers deal with them seperately. Families are usually dealt with all together though...
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Best wishes,

Smaug
Hi:

Congratulations on the new addition.

At LAX, AmCits and LPR's go through the same line. I think it is more an issue of traffic control and not capabilities of the individual inspection stations.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
At LAX, AmCits and LPR's go through the same line.
Same for SFO... USCs/LPRs in one line, "Visitors" in the other line.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the sprog

As for which line, a lot depends on the airport, Logon, you have to go through as johnny foreigner unless your lucky and neither line is particularly busy.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born or naturalised in the UK, then your son is *already* a British citizen. You're just filing for proof of citizenship, not citizenship itself.

It's strongly recommended to get a British-style birth certificate for him, even if the Embassy tell you "not to bother". It could save him a lot of hassle later in life.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:31 am
Lansbury

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:09:36 +0000, Smaug <member22854@british_expats.com>
wrote:

>I headed towards the Brit's
    >line, and within a couple of seconds, one of the employees there told us
    >that we could all go together in the UK line

It isn't a right, it is entirely at the discretion of the immigration officer
on the desk. Most will allow a family to go through together if the queue
isn't too long.

Conversely there was nothing stopping you going into the non-EU citizens line
with your family either.

I take my wife through the EU desks in the UK and she takes me through the US
citizens line in the States. In fact once at San Francisco I got removed from
the non-US line by the scruff of the neck and put in the US line by an
immigration officer, with the words "You're in the wrong god dammed line". She
was smaller than me too. :-)
--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Old Oct 6th 2006, 2:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Same for SFO... USCs/LPRs in one line, "Visitors" in the other line.

Same for Chicago and Washington Dulles.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you were born or naturalised in the UK, then your son is *already* a British citizen. You're just filing for proof of citizenship, not citizenship itself.

It's strongly recommended to get a British-style birth certificate for him, even if the Embassy tell you "not to bother". It could save him a lot of hassle later in life.
Thank you for all the replies everyone - it's certainly enlightening!

and Jaj,

How do we go about specifying that we prefer the British-style certificate?

Thankee!

Smaug
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you apply for a birth certificate from the embassy...
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:17 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new addition to your family. So glad to know you are all doing so well.
Bet it wass a wonderful feeling to finally make it home to see the rellies huh?

Regards

Shepslady
Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This page has details:
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315

You get the British-style birth certificate *in addition to* (rather than instead of) a British passport.

The cost of consular birth registration is an additional USD226 but it's well worth it. Without it your child could face a lot of hassle and delay in renewing a British passport later in life.