Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 1st 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by HighTide
Well after a very long absence and a very busy year I felt it was long overdue to post again. I see a lot of the old timers are still here and a few more have moved back to these shores. Hopefully some may still remember me. My partner and I are well and truly settled in Brixham, Devon. After major renovations on both the house and cottage we finally started renting out our cottage on April 6th. Things are going well and we are getting a few bookings.

Have only made one trip out of Devon so far and that was to the Home Office in Croydon to apply for my partner's ILR (Visa) which he was succesful in getting.
Hopefully this year we will have more time to explore and would also like to spend some time on my sister and brother in law's narrow boat.

Hope everyone is well and happy and for those back here hope you are happy with your move. I am now going to spend some time catching up on some previous posts.
Good to hear from you mate!

Cheers
Old May 1st 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well after a very long absence and a very busy year I felt it was long overdue to post again. I see a lot of the old timers are still here and a few more have moved back to these shores. Hopefully some may still remember me. My partner and I are well and truly settled in Brixham, Devon. After major renovations on both the house and cottage we finally started renting out our cottage on April 6th. Things are going well and we are getting a few bookings.

Have only made one trip out of Devon so far and that was to the Home Office in Croydon to apply for my partner's ILR (Visa) which he was succesful in getting.
Hopefully this year we will have more time to explore and would also like to spend some time on my sister and brother in law's narrow boat.

Hope everyone is well and happy and for those back here hope you are happy with your move. I am now going to spend some time catching up on some previous posts.
Well hellooooooooooo stranger we all have been wondering how you and partner were setting in and all the work you had to do on your B&B
Really great to hear from you again, any chance on you making the re-union in London in a few weeks? it would be great for you both to be there, and we can all meet each other so far theres 5 of us with a possible 6 and you David and partner would make 7 and 8.
Take care mate,
Rodney.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Barb ----- Old London Town sounds mighty fab to me, why dont all three of us meet there in the smoke say around 10 am or at least before 12 noon, You and Denise and me will have a good old time together, we could see a bit of London on the Tube or Bus, have a nice lunch,
You think about what time would be convenient for you both, Denise has my cell number, so lets do it, lets all meet up, its about time Huh!!!!!
May hopefully will be a lot less rain, and more Sun, OMG what a lot of rain we have been having lately
It's so lovely to read about three people who made it back to their home country and are now getting together "in their home country"!!
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow everybody is turning up for the party!! David it's so good to hear from you!! Are you still happy to be back home? How is your partner settling down?
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cheers
Good to hear from you mate!

Cheers
Thanks mate,,,,good to see so many of you still around.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well hellooooooooooo stranger we all have been wondering how you and partner were setting in and all the work you had to do on your B&B
Really great to hear from you again, any chance on you making the re-union in London in a few weeks? it would be great for you both to be there, and we can all meet each other so far theres 5 of us with a possible 6 and you David and partner would make 7 and 8.
Take care mate,
Rodney.
Hey Rodney...great to hear from you. It would be great to come up for the reunion but really don't know if we would be able to get away. I will keep track of your plans on here and if there is any chance of getting away we will be there.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow everybody is turning up for the party!! David it's so good to hear from you!! Are you still happy to be back home? How is your partner settling down?
Hi Barb........he has settled down amazingly well and says it just feels right living here. Seems to be understanding the local dialect much better now too.
I am loving being back too and have absolutely no regrets in making the move.
Hope things are going well for you and you are totally settled too. Would be great to meet you all in London but not sure if it will be possible this time or not.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, such a lot of great activity here in the last few days!

Lovely to hear news of Anna in Malta from Whatsername, thank you!

And to have an update from HIgh Tide/David--wonderful to know that not only have you and your partner settled down so well, but you have done the work on the property and the bookings are coming in.

A very warm welcome to the newer posters--some new, some long-time lurkers--it is so good to hear from you, and as Beedubya and others have said, once returned expats have settled in, they become less likely to post as they get on with their new lives--so "new blood" is essential to keep the thread going.

One thing I want to say is that at this over 50s age, we can't let too much time go by while trying to decide what to do. I have just learned of two friends in this age group who appeared to be in excellent health but who now are in dire straits health-wise. You just never know. If we are in good health, we just don't think of these things...

To the couple who are 28, you are of course also very welcome here--learn from our sage advice ( joke. We can flounder and hesitate and be torn and make mistakes at whatever age!!!).

Actually one bit of advice you'd already had (from Fish I think) was that if you are thinking of having kids, make your decision before you do--once you have children, and especially once they are of school age, it makes everything far more complicated. And that complication doesn't go away when they reach 18--look at what charleygirl has been writing.

tina
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Sue my lurker friend wants to come too!! Any day is good for me Denise I can just take an annual leave day and it may be quieter in the week than on weekends, so far then it's:

JASPER 123
CHARLEYGIRL
QUOLL
??????? SUE
BEEDUBYA

So that's 5 of us so far, come on let's get the ball rolling folks!!
Depends on diary conflicts, either just me or both of us could easily make it to London for a meet-up. Weekday or weekend.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to meet everyone one day, but a day trip to London isn't really possible right now when we have so much to do, and London is so far away. But one day, when things settle down I hope you'll invite me. It would be so great to put faces to the names!

Just a quick note to say that my cat is much better thanks to the excellent vet we found. He has to go in for a check-up tomorrow, but he is eating and sleeping and just 100% better than a couple of days ago. And all at a price that was one third of what we would have paid in America.

Do you know, America seems like a dream to me now. Did I really live there all those years? I feel as though we just slotted back in here as though we were never gone. I am always a pretty happy person, but since we've been back, I have remembered what it is to feel genuine joy in small things.

This week we have already seen my mum and brother and my husband's parents. We had a night out at the pub by ourselves tonight and then tomorrow we're going over to see two of my oldest friends for dinner. Busy, busy busy! Next week we start seeing my husband's friends, and then his sister is coming over to stay at the weekend. All through the day, I get texts and calls from friends or family. I feel so very lucky as I know some people have reported that friends and family didn't really have time for them when they got back. In our case, we're overwhelmed by all the people who want to get together. I feel alive again for the first time in forever. People I know think New York is the be all and end all - well, they can have it. Give me this feeling any day - the feeling of waking up and knowing that you have fun plans for days and weeks ahead. The feeling that life is full and exciting and filled with love. I'll take that any over glamorous clubs and bright lights and sky scrapers.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I would love to meet everyone one day, but a day trip to London isn't really possible right now when we have so much to do, and London is so far away. But one day, when things settle down I hope you'll invite me. It would be so great to put faces to the names!

Just a quick note to say that my cat is much better thanks to the excellent vet we found. He has to go in for a check-up tomorrow, but he is eating and sleeping and just 100% better than a couple of days ago. And all at a price that was one third of what we would have paid in America.

Do you know, America seems like a dream to me now. Did I really live there all those years? I feel as though we just slotted back in here as though we were never gone. I am always a pretty happy person, but since we've been back, I have remembered what it is to feel genuine joy in small things.

This week we have already seen my mum and brother and my husband's parents. We had a night out at the pub by ourselves tonight and then tomorrow we're going over to see two of my oldest friends for dinner. Busy, busy busy! Next week we start seeing my husband's friends, and then his sister is coming over to stay at the weekend. All through the day, I get texts and calls from friends or family. I feel so very lucky as I know some people have reported that friends and family didn't really have time for them when they got back. In our case, we're overwhelmed by all the people who want to get together. I feel alive again for the first time in forever. People I know think New York is the be all and end all - well, they can have it. Give me this feeling any day - the feeling of waking up and knowing that you have fun plans for days and weeks ahead. The feeling that life is full and exciting and filled with love. I'll take that any over glamorous clubs and bright lights and sky scrapers.
Aww wow Sally, this is wonderful to hear. Thank you for taking the time in this happy busy life to post how you are feeling!

So glad the cat is doing better as well.

Tina
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally I have to echo Tina's words and also say WOW what an update
So glad the cat is feeling much better, its so lovely to hear all the Joy and excitement that you are feeling right now, and the sheer love from your family sounds great,
You know everyone's family isn't so warm and friendly as yours when they return home as you know and that you have stated here,
Keep up that positive energy, and I am so glad that you and hubby are settling in so nicely,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Test - I have typed two posts today and lost both. So before I retype a response I thought I would put in a short test
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:49 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally,

I have been following your journey, along with the journeys of others on this forum. I am so pleased that you are happy being back home and that your cat is on the mend.

Your post really spoke to me as I mentioned in another post that I have a nice existence here, but don't feel that I am living the way I should be. I get that being alive feeling when I am in the UK.

We are at the stage of listing our house and you know what that entails. Today, the photographer came to the pics for listing and we are now beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am so exhausted, I think I will sleep for a month when this is all over.

Unlikely, but if we are back by July, I hope to visit your neck of the woods. Two of favourite authors, Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson, are participating in the crime writers festival in Harrogate. What a treat that would be, to visit Yorkshire and attend the festival.

Thank you and all the others on here who have posted their journey. The posts are so inspiring and supportive. It has really helped me through mine.

I will scream if I lose this post like I did the other one I tried to post.
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Sally,

I have been following your journey, along with the journeys of others on this forum. I am so pleased that you are happy being back home and that your cat is on the mend.

Your post really spoke to me as I mentioned in another post that I have a nice existence here, but don't feel that I am living the way I should be. I get that being alive feeling when I am in the UK.

We are at the stage of listing our house and you know what that entails. Today, the photographer came to the pics for listing and we are now beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am so exhausted, I think I will sleep for a month when this is all over.

Unlikely, but if we are back by July, I hope to visit your neck of the woods. Two of favourite authors, Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson, are participating in the crime writers festival in Harrogate. What a treat that would be, to visit Yorkshire and attend the festival.

Thank you and all the others on here who have posted their journey. The posts are so inspiring and supportive. It has really helped me through mine.

I will scream if I lose this post like I did the other one I tried to post.
Post received!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.