Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing 180 days of Personal Use Prescription Meds to USA

Bringing 180 days of Personal Use Prescription Meds to USA

Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Calle236 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing 180 days of Personal Use Prescription Meds to USA

We plan on being in the USA for just under 6 months over the winter (we have B2 visas and own a condo there). I know the US CBP have a "rule of thumb" here that it's Ok to bring 90 days of prescription meds for personal use. But does anyone know the best way to bring 180 days of meds?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing 180 days of Personal Use Prescription Meds to USA

As long as you have proof that you need them (letter from doc would do), you should be fine.

However, I would contact CBP directly and get confirmation before traveling.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken in more than 90 days worth with no problem. Just declare it, as long as you're honest with the inspector about your duration of stay I can't see what the issue would be.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:55 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

It would be good if it was in official bottles labeled with your name, dosage instructions, and the doctor's name.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have a visa that will allow you to be admitted for 6 months it doesn't seem to be unreasonable to take 180 days worth of meds with you for personal use.

I don't think that this is something that you are required to declare and the chance that anyone will ask you about it is pretty remote so you should be OK.

(btw I assume that you have already verified that the specific drugs in question are ones that are allowed in the US)
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Calle236 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by md95065
...(btw I assume that you have already verified that the specific drugs in question are ones that are allowed in the US)
Good point from md. I think they're OK but I'll double check to be sure.