Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Fees for Nurserys in Mont Kiara or Desa sri harmatas

Fees for Nurserys in Mont Kiara or Desa sri harmatas

Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

emma.jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fees for Nurserys in Mont Kiara or Desa sri harmatas

Does anyone know the day rates for nurserys? I have twin boys aged 2 that will need to go to nursery when they are 3 so need some information on how much it will cost to put them into nursery for 2-3 days a week? Can anyone name any good nurserys in the mont kiara Desa Sri Harmatas area?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:27 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fees for Nurserys in Mont Kiara or Desa sri harmatas

Just so you are aware, it is more common for nurseries to give weekly rates only (9am-12pm), rather than daily rates. This means the place is held for the child for the entire week rather then 2 or 3 days. Of course you can still send them for the 2-3 days only but you will pay for the entire week! You may be able to find one which does daily rates but there will be far fewer to choose from.

I am in a different area to where you are looking but I know of Children's Discover House in Mont Kiara. Last time I heard they were charging around 3800rm per term.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks ajw i am in two minds whether to send my 4 year old daughter who will be nearly 5 when we come out t KL to a montessori school until she is 6 years old so that all 3 children can go to the same school together for her first year out there and so that it is not so scary and daunting for her. She is currently at a montessori school here in england and she loves it but i am worried she may fall back if she does not go straight into primary school, which she is due to go to in September! I will have a chat with her teacher here in england and see what she thinks! Its so hard to know what to do for the best. I have been looking at a nursery called summerfields which has an extended programme until 3.30pm and like you said she can go every day! What age did you put your children into primary school?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:12 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

My son started Reception at the usual time last September after being at the Montessori for a year. TBH it was a relief to get him into mainstream schooling. I would hazard a guess that Montessori here is different to the UK. The local system here (regardless of its ethos) has an strict academic focus. Kids are starting to hold a pencil and learning to write at 2 years onwards. There is far less value placed upon 'learn through play' as there is in Western education systems at this age. A lot of the preschools are readying kids to enter into Chinese schools, where they are thrown into an academic pressure cooker from day one. My son was looked down upon because he wasn't reading and writing at 3.5 years and was therefore considered 'behind'. In contrast, his British school here has been fantastic, he has blossomed with the age appropriate curriculum and as it turns out is actually ahead in reading and maths! Choose your local preschool carefully, ask plenty of questions.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Hiya,

My son was looked down upon because he wasn't reading and writing at 3.5 years and was therefore considered 'behind'.
I find that quite staggering... so not much different to Singapore pressure cooker standards eh? Great he's doing well now though.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Its very similar to the UK they also encourage children from a young age to learn to read and write, although this suits my daughter to the ground, all she seems to want to do is learn at school and at home. She has come on leaps and bounds at her current montessori and is already at year 1 level so i think keeping on her at a montessori school would not do her any harm. I have spoken to her teacher today who said that she would be fine going straight into year 1 next year as long as i keep up with the reading and writing at home but from the sounds of it i won't need to, as they will be doing this anyway out there! I just didn't want her to be doing stuff that she has already done in the UK and get bored!

I will look at as many pre schools as i can when i get over there, to make the right decision, With regards to putting summer into primary school how long does the process take, if were out there in Jan 2013 when do you htink i need to apply and put her name down???

Thanks again for all your useful information