Working in the Caribbean

Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

JamesDale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the Caribbean

Hi all,

Finally passed all of my ACCA exams and applied for membership so now I’m looking to start the process of looking for jobs in the Caribbean. I wondered if anyone has any experience of leaving a UK practice to work in the Caribbean and had any advice they could offer?

I’ve joined a recruitment agency (Hamilton Recruitment). Is it worth writing direct to firms in the Caribbean (I don’t currently work for one of the ‘big 4’) or is leaving matters to the recruitment agency the best way to go?

I am totally flexible as to which island I go to. I’ve read up on the different options and it appears as though the Cayman Islands and BVI are my main alternatives. I’m not too keen on Bermuda after reading reports on here and on the net regarding a large racial divide between the expats and locals, however I am still eager to hear if people may disagree with this.

I will be travelling with my fiancé who is a nurse. However, she is looking to spend the first year travelling around America and using my destination as a base. She will travel on a tourist visa and look at work options next year.

I know Bermudashorts has experience in this area and would love to hear her opinions.

Thanks in advance

James
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the Caribbean

Hi James

I have posted some of my thoughts about Bermuda in general on this thread. As I have mentioned, there is a strong anti ex-pat sentiment from some quarters, but it is easy enough to ignore and I don't think I lost a great deal of sleep over it. I can assure you that there are many expats who love it there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646094

In terms of job hunting, I can only comment on Bermuda but there could well be a similar set up on other islands. At newly qualified level, I definitely think you should target the big accountancy firms and look to go over as an auditor. When I was there, the big firms generally took on about 20 people a year although that may have been cut back since then.

After a couple of years with the firm, people will often find roles out in industry, but I can't think of many people who get a job straight in industry. Other than me that is, but I went over when I was a bit older than average and went in as CFO of a big global company. Hamilton recruitment were pretty hopeless for jobs at senior level, but they did specailaise in the newly qualified level. There is also a company called Bermudajobs that might be worth a look, they placed me. I'd be tempted to contact the UK companies that sometimes work on international placements too and send in your CV directly, why not.

Without exception, my team had all originally come to Bermuda as auditors with a Big Four. Not all of them had been working for the same firm in UK or their home country, one or two had qualified with small practices. One thing I learned from them is that the audit firms recruit at a particular time during the year, not all year round and I believe that time is around now so I would recommend you get onto this.

A word of caution about your girlfriend, she cannot use Bermuda as her "base" and avoid this language at all costs at immigration. They are very strict and are convinced that every visitor to the island wants nothing more than to establish residence there. Be aware of similar thinking on the other islands too.

Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

JamesDale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in the Caribbean

Hi Bermudashorts,
Thanks for the info. After you post I looked into the situation with my girlfriend and agree with what you are saying. It would be too much of a weight on my mind as to will she/wont she be refused entry onto one of the islands after being there for a large part of the year. Anyway, we were originally getting married in December 2011, so we’ve decided to just have a quick marriage ceremony asap and then still have our “non legal” wedding when planned. Hopefully this should mitigate any of the problems we may encounter on any of the islands.
Very interested in your career Bermudashorts, as I too would like to spend a couple of years working for one of the big four, before moving into industry and onto Australia after the Caribbean. Spent 18 months there after uni and absolutely loved it!
Thanks again for you advice.
James