Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.australia+nz
Reload this Page >

NQ Rentals going bankrupt???

NQ Rentals going bankrupt???

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:59 am
Tony Bailey

Default Re: NQ Rentals going bankrupt???

"swagmanneke" <swagmanneke@(vewijderdit)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thy never published my experience?
    > because I wasn't a happy custumer in 1998-99
    > schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected] lkabouttravelling.com...
    >> Its unfortunate however I think this is a small case as you can see many
    >> happy customers listed on their site.
    >> http://www.nqrentals.com.au/Testimonials.asp
    >> They seem genuine enough.

Pity about that last statement!

Seems to be some unhappy customers now.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

yoshi68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NQ into receivership!

In the meantime NQ rentals has gone into receivership!!
Here is the article that appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald,
I (yoshinobu) was interviewed for this article as well.

There is still a little hope!
It could get sold as ongoing concern or
possibly i can claim my money from visa because the company has gone into receivership.

From http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...509929472.html

Young travellers have been left thousands of dollars out of pocket after a national campervan rental company collapsed, and the case has highlighted complaints of fraud by firms who target interstate or overseas backpackers.

The Northern Territory's commissioner of consumer affairs, Richard O'Sullivan, said the problem was damaging tourism and has called for national regulation of the rental sector.

NQ Rentals was placed in receivership this week by a court order. Fair Trading offices around the country have fielded complaints, in some cases stretching back 10 months, from tourists whose credit cards had been debited by $5000 by NQ despite having safely returned vehicles.

Problems are believed to be widespread. A 2003 report for the Ministerial Council on Consumer Affairs warned that unfair contracts, massive overcharging for repairs and fine print allowing unlimited charges to credit cards put consumers at a disadvantage. Of 600 complaints between 2000 and 2002, half came from interstate or overseas tourists.

Advertisement
AdvertisementMr O'Sullivan said: "Some of them don't even know their credit cards have been accessed until they get back to their country."

The report proposed outlawing such practices, a mandatory code of conduct and licensing that included checks for financial solvency. But no changes took place.

The Queensland Minister for Fair Trading, Margaret Keech, said her office received 51 complaints about NQ and delays in the refund of deposits.

Florian Dirscherl, 38, was told by NQ's Darwin depot last June that a $5000 bond for a four-day hire would not be refunded until money was sent from its Cairns head office. A month later the German traveller had not got a cent and contacted Northern Territory Consumer Affairs, which recovered the sum after two months.

Yoshinobu Kawahara, 36, hired an NQ campervan in Darwin in December to travel to Sydney. "The guy at the Sydney depot checked the campervan and said it was fine and we would be returned our bond in a few days," he said. He has not seen his $5000.

Samriti Goyal, an English dentist, 25, had $2000 taken from her credit card without consent after hiring a car from a Sydney firm. Five months later it has not been returned despite her "distressed and frustrated" international calls.

NQ customers seeking bond refunds must deal with its receiver, PPB Business, and liquidator KPMG. But consumers come last in the queue of creditors

Originally Posted by Tony Bailey
"swagmanneke" <swagmanneke@(vewijderdit)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thy never published my experience?
    > because I wasn't a happy custumer in 1998-99
    > schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected] lkabouttravelling.com...
    >> Its unfortunate however I think this is a small case as you can see many
    >> happy customers listed on their site.
    >> http://www.nqrentals.com.au/Testimonials.asp
    >> They seem genuine enough.

Pity about that last statement!

Seems to be some unhappy customers now.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books