Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

advice from those who've been on wait list for schools please

advice from those who've been on wait list for schools please

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

fivegomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice from those who've been on wait list for schools please

Hi all,
We've visited and pretty much decided on the schools we'd like our three children to attend. However, one of the them doesn't have spaces until January at the earliest. I'd like some advice from anyone who's child had to wait to join the school of their choice. What did you do in that gap time?
We've been advised she could start another school - but for one, maybe two terms, that seems a lot of extra upheaval for her. Home schooling could be an option but I'll need a good tutor that comes recommended.
Also, if you start a school knowing it's just to fill the gap - what do you do about fees, telling them etc. I'm guessing schools don't like to think they're your second choice.
It seems unavoidable to do it this way though. So, any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks as ever.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Hannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice from those who've been on wait list for schools please

I haven't done it but I know a few people who have and honesty with the holding school is the best policy. Not many get the hump.

Personally, I'd homeschool. It's not as daunting as you think, particularly short term. There's every chance the curriculum won't be in sequence for two different schools so at home gives you a chance at relevant teaching.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: advice from those who've been on wait list for schools please

Originally Posted by fivegomad
Hi all,
We've visited and pretty much decided on the schools we'd like our three children to attend. However, one of the them doesn't have spaces until January at the earliest. I'd like some advice from anyone who's child had to wait to join the school of their choice. What did you do in that gap time?
We've been advised she could start another school - but for one, maybe two terms, that seems a lot of extra upheaval for her. Home schooling could be an option but I'll need a good tutor that comes recommended.
Also, if you start a school knowing it's just to fill the gap - what do you do about fees, telling them etc. I'm guessing schools don't like to think they're your second choice.
It seems unavoidable to do it this way though. So, any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks as ever.
Is this Tanglin Trust School? (Or maybe UWC?). My children went to both schools. A British family moved into one apartment which we had just vacated (we had moved to another condo) and were waiting to get their son into TTS. The mother home schooled but got a list of supply teachers from TTS who are happy to do private tuition. I know it wasn't cheap though as the mother was complaining about the cost as her husband's employer wouldn't pay for it. You will need to negotiate with the employer as regards to (often non-refundable elements of) deposits and tuition fees, uniforms etc.

I do know of quite a few other families waiting for vacancies at TTS; they put their kids into Overseas Family School or Chatsworth in the interim.

Other families stayed in the UK with their children staying on in their schools until they had a confirmed start date at TTS, with the spouse moving on ahead to start his new job in Singapore and the rest of the family arriving later.

However, sometimes the list moves quickly as people are moving in and out of Singapore all the time, often unexpectedly, so places become available more quickly than the school anticipated.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

When you say January at the earliest could it more likely be August? When will you know for sure? I would worry that it may not be January. It's so transient over there and often things change for ppl at the last minute. Do you know which number you are on the waiting list for January?

It's great that you have found a school you like. I would probably either home school or stay in the UK. What about your other kids? Do you have places for all of them lined up?
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

If you are set on a UK curriculum - consider Dulwich College which is opening in August/September - or Marlborough College Malaysia - just over the border in Johor.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Did you have any luck progressing with your move OP? Got schools sorted?