Reload this Page >

Musical instruments Saudi/UAE/Dubai

Musical instruments Saudi/UAE/Dubai

Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

justpin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Musical instruments Saudi/UAE/Dubai

Hello.

TLR been a UK qualified teacher for several years, my CV just lacks international experience, its one of the hard yards I need to do, and I be darned if I become a flip flopper in China.... the kinds of 'teachers' in China often unqualified dance like a monkey white face types. Middle East is an option...

Anyway enough about that.

My primary entertainment is piano playing and sax. It is unrealistic to bring my upright piano to the ME. Therefore I think I shall have to buy myself a Roland which is a good enough substitute.

My question is this

Can such instruments be bought in the middle east? Or do I need to bring one with me? Bringing one is problematic as an 88 key digital is 1.3metres long even longer with the case. Rolands are even longer at 1.43metres long.

I sure wouldn't like to travel out there and realise I can buy it in some mall in Saudi. Sax is more portable of course.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musical instruments Saudi/UAE/Dubai

TLR been a UK qualified teacher for several years, my CV just lacks international experience, its one of the hard yards I need to do, and I be darned if I become a flip flopper in China.... the kinds of 'teachers' in China often unqualified dance like a monkey white face types. Middle East is an option...

I personally have highly experienced friends who are currently/ have taught in China, and find your comments highly offensive, although it would probably be explained by your total lack of experience overseas. Perhaps you would be better off playing with your organ in the UK !!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

justpin is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally have highly experienced friends who are currently/ have taught in China, and find your comments highly offensive, although it would probably be explained by your total lack of experience overseas.
Go and ask them about it then.

Although there are some qualified and dedicated teachers in China. These teachers are massively outnumbered by the frauds who have one qualification their skin colour. The recession in the US and Europe has increased the numbers of frauds considerably.

Two big Japanese schools going bust made many jump ship to China.

Korea in Jan 2014 also stopped the EPIK program for state schools in Seoul and it will be rolled out nationwide shortly.

So these jump ship to China too.

This is not just a typical private language school it is up and down through the state education system up to T1 universities.

Richard for example dropped out of Zoology degree, he is now 'professor of oral English' at Shanghai university. He quite openly boasts almost every single teacher he knows is a fraud, with plenty of Russians, Romanians, Czechs teaching English, no qualifications, no training. But all a certain skin colour...

Go look it up online there are overt advertisements which pop up all the time which state they only want certain skin colours.

I've seen this myself when I went to Beijing and Xian, you stop by in popular expat bars and you meet people.

What do you do?

I teach English.

So where did you qualify....

Silence / or open admission of being a faker.

It is these fakers I find offensive.

Even more offensive is when they come back to the UK and I interview them, oh I taught in China for 4 years...

Ok can I have a look at a sample lesson plan...

Lesson plans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuJqEwS-pw

Last edited by justpin; Apr 12th 2014 at 12:08 am.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If you're QTS then you're not going to be chasing the TEFL jobs where 50% of the reason you're there is to fulfill the curriculum requirement of the school to "expose the students to a native English speaker". You're going to be hitting up the IB schools and the like where they need real teachers. That said, 40% of newly qualified teachers are out of the business within 2 years, right?

As to instruments in Saudi, each city is different. As far as I'm aware there is only one shop selling instruments in Riyadh of any quality, and I've only heard people talk about guitars from there so I don't know their stock range. Although "live entertainment" is barred here, if students weren't learning English from American films and music we'd really be banging our heads against the wall. Jarir on Olaya Street sells music cd's, apparently the only one in the kingdom.....The emirates in the UAE are different (of which Dubai is just one of.) Don't think all these Islamic countries are the same. Then there's Bahrain, Qatar and Oman. But a little research will show the large question you've asked.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

u can buy in uae thomsun akmusic etc etc