Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Dogs from India to the UK

Dogs from India to the UK

Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:15 am
Just Joined

mallubaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs from India to the UK

Hello

Wondering if anyone could share their experiences about taking their pets to the UK. I'm looking for an easier solutions...we can't live without them, and looks I left it for too late..panic mode....I hear it's got a lot easiest though...we will be leaving from Hyderababad.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs from India to the UK

Friend's of ours took their dog back to the Uk a couple of years ago.I think they used the same company we did to bring our dog here,they are called Jetset Pets.It certainly won't be cheap with flight and quarantine costs.

John
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

mallubaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jcbrum
Friend's of ours took their dog back to the Uk a couple of years ago.I think they used the same company we did to bring our dog here,they are called Jetset Pets.It certainly won't be cheap with flight and quarantine costs.

John
Thanks a lot john. Will google the company. How was your overall experience? Especially quarantine?
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

There is now no compulsory quarantine, but there are very strict criteria regarding rabies vaccine etc. and some waiting time before travel and blood tests etc.
If the criteria are not met properly then the dog will be put into quarantine.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bipat
There is now no compulsory quarantine, but there are very strict criteria regarding rabies vaccine etc. and some waiting time before travel and blood tests etc.
If the criteria are not met properly then the dog will be put into quarantine.
If you mean the Uk you are incorrect as 6 months quarantine is mandatory for animals coming from a rabies infected country.India ..basicaly there isn't any as long as your paperwork is in order your pet can come straight into the country.

John
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mallubaba
Thanks a lot john. Will google the company. How was your overall experience? Especially quarantine?
The service we both received from the company was excellent,as for our friends dog in Quarantine they said it coped quite well but they said that the 6 months felt like 6 years.

John
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really nice

If you mean the Uk you are incorrect as 6 months quarantine is mandatory for animals coming from a rabies infected country.India ..basicaly there isn't any as long as your paperwork is in order your pet can come straight into the country.

John
Hi, You can take your dog/s back to UK and they don't have to stay in quarantine if you follow all the DEFRA guidelines. I have done it from Sri Lanka. Your dog must have up date vaccinations and have a sample of blood taken by an approved vet and sent to a European lab for testing. i think the blood have to be taken around 3 months after vaccination, can't remember but its all there on the DEFRA site. Dog must be microchipped. You also need clearance from the chief quarantine vet 5 days before travelling and tape worm treatment within 4 days of travel. Dogs MUST travel as cargo not as checked in baggage ( ie; not as cases). We managed to do it all quite cheaply because we did all our own paper work. In UK you do need an agent to pick up dog from the plane. We had James Cargo who were brilliant. When we left Sri Lanka we had problems with the customs officers asking for extra payments. James Cargo phoned and e mailed customs and our airline from the UK, they were brilliantly supportive and told customs that all our papers were fine and they had no reason to hold up the dog. We had faxed all the paper work to James Cargo and the quarantine centre before we left.
Best advice is to check and double check your paper work. Having said that I think it may possibly be more difficult from India than from Sri Lanka. Wgole process takes around 3-4 months

Good luck r
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Our friends followed all the instructions and guidelines from Defra but the dog still had to go into quarantine.This was 4 years ago so perhaps the rules have changed since then.

John
Old Mar 10th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners

looks complicated!

AndyD 8-)
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

I now know the rules were changed on 2012,so my info was out of date.But the rules still look a nightmare,

John
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

ruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really nice

I now know the rules were changed on 2012,so my info was out of date.But the rules still look a nightmare,

John
It is not very easy, and from India you have to come in under third country rules as you do in Sri Lanka. It is doable though 'cos I've done it! You just have to keep on top of it watch your timing and check and recheck your paper work. Having said that it was stressful and not something I would want to do again any time soon.