Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by Gtvscott
Very Helpful - NOT!
Don't listen, this bored member has been on the site for months procrastinating and prevaricating about moving to the ME. And still hasn't moved! Tells you all you need to know really
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Gtvscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
Don't listen, this bored member has been on the site for months procrastinating and prevaricating about moving to the ME. And still hasn't moved! Tells you all you need to know really
I can appreciate that people have different experiences and opinions, but if you haven't even been to the country then there is only one reply to him - Troll!

If you have no valuable input don't bother!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikewot
This is bullshit. I have been to KSA and to Qatar 3 times in the last 10 months. And BTW, this was not my first visit to KSA. Some people don't accept advice for free, but learn the lesson on their skin.
OK guys, KSA is a heaven, go for it.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Then why not use your experience to help?
There are a lot of fresh guys heading over there so any assistance is helpful to us!
We are not foolish enough to believe we are going to a paradise. We are there to earn decent money hopefully to set us up for other things - well I know I am!
For example have heard old Jubail is a bit of a dump, but down the road one of the guys was telling me tonight that the new city is a tidy place to live!

Last edited by Gtvscott; Jan 29th 2014 at 9:01 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gtvscott
Then why not use your experience to help?
There are a lot of fresh guys heading over there so any assistance is helpful to us!
We are not foolish enough to believe we are going to a paradise. We are there to earn decent money hopefully to set us up for other things - well I know I am!
For example have heard old Jubail is a bit of a dump, but down the road one of the guys was telling me tonight that the new city is a tidy place to live!
If you make a little search in this forum you will learn a lot. I appreciate people go to KSA for money, but same with other GCC countries. For me, and based on what I have seen and experienced there, I would take a job elseweher with less money than KSA. Many other people share the same view, but some others can compromise. As somebody in this forum said: it depends if you like to live in dark ages or not, regardless to money.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

That's appreciated thanks!

I've been offshore North Sea so fancied a change from that prison. I am focusing on what's around me as I am definitely not now under any illusions of what awaits!

I am on the Sadara commissioning project so it should be something to get my teeth into and also good for the CV

Last edited by Gtvscott; Jan 29th 2014 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

bimco63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EastWest
This is bullshit. I have been to KSA and to Qatar 3 times in the last 10 months. And BTW, this was not my first visit to KSA. Some people don't accept advice for free, but learn the lesson on their skin.
OK guys, KSA is a heaven, go for it.
But you're not offering advice, just an opinion and not offering to back that opinion up with anything. Along with a lot of other guys I will be moving out to KSA with the Sadara project in the coming months so anything that makes that transition easier is welcomed. Please share your experiences of KSA with us newbies!!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bimco63
Hi imi7,
Hoping to move to KSA in next few weeks with Sadara. Got a few q's if you have the time.

Mobile phones; are UK fones ok to use or is it cheaper to buy a local sim? Also, are apps like twitter & whatsapp still in use or have they been banned?

Compounds; I know it may vary but are they normally furnished and if so to what extent? Are basics like towels/bedlinen provided?

Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Hi Andy,

As has been stated earlier, I would strongly recommend you get a local SIM card, although I know some contractors here have used something called GeoSim that allows you to receive UK calls as if you were in the UK.

I have been on STC PAYG for the last 6 years - word of advice - try not to get a 'contract' phone. I had one with one of 3 operators called Mobily, and had loads of issues with billing that was only sorted as I knew someone on the 'inside'. My PAYG - no issues as I only use it for voice, and when I roam back in the UK it only costs SR 1.2/min (approx 20p) to send/receive calls.

WhatsApp and Twitter very much alive and kicking here- in fact its nowhere near banned as they are very strong Apps with the locals.

Compounds - usually furnished but it depends on how much you are looking to spend. As for bed linen - definitely bring your own .

An interesting fact - a lot of expats are choosing not to stay in over priced compounds but live in the city as its perfectly safe to do so (well, no different from living in London).

Saudi Arabia is what you make of it. Yes it can be frustrating, driving can be a rollercoaster, boredom sets in etc but all in all its a good place to be and more importantly save £££'s. I had travelled all over this region and chose to live here. I know plenty of Brits coming here to work, and there are some that have been here for decades (then again there are ppl who hate the place ).

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

bimco63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Thanks for that, just what I needed, good practical advice.
Cheers buddy.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Long story short...if you are Western and you want something resembling a social life, you have to live on a good compound. End of.
To compare living in London or any other large Western city to living somewhere in a flat in "downtown somewhere" in KSA is...well, how shall I put it politely...

Last edited by Alexa; Jan 31st 2014 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Good school is expensive. Up to SR60,000 a year per child.Google and you will find lots. Mine went to SAIS in Jeddah - after KG at the Italian School.

Got this by googling. Other schools are cheaper -

http://www.bisr.com.sa/admission/fee-structure.html

Taxis in Riyadh are quite pricey because of distances. Schools very often have buses that will pick up students.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 31st 2014 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

fatimamasood08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am a Qualified CIMA Finance Manager with 5 years experience.

I am looking to move to KSA and would like to know what the salary bracket is for my experience.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alexa
Long story short...if you are Western and you want something resembling a social life, you have to live on a good compound. End of.
To compare living in London or any other large Western city to living somewhere in a flat in "downtown somewhere" in KSA is...well, how shall I put it politely...
- agreed as it depends on your lifestyle in London. True, compounds offer you unrestricted 'western' lifestyle and is recommended for the family, but I know a lot of Brit expats (singles) who have chosen to live in the city- I suppose they have taken their 25% housing allowance, got somewhere cheaper and pocketed the rest ££££'s - smart
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Heisenberg_WW is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know what a good price in Riyadh is for a used 4x4 .. maybe 3/4 years old?. Any experience of buying a car in Saudi?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Mzala is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Imi7,

Thanks for this thread, very kind of you !!
Some questions from me:

I will be moving to Riyadh from the UK shortly. My sponsor has said that they will put me on a Business Visa. What are the limitations of this type of visa? What challenges am I likely to encounter? Can i easily rent an apartment?

They also intend to put me on 6 monthly rolling contracts. Would it be a good thing to accept this arrangement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.