Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the likelihood of being denied medical clearance?

What is the likelihood of being denied medical clearance?

Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

MrsMacIver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the likelihood of being denied medical clearance?

So, my husband went for his medical exam in London today. We had no worries about this, but now I am freaking out.

Naturally, my husband was completely honest when the doctor performing the exam asked him about any medical issues. He mentioned a knee surgery, a surgery where he had all his teeth extracted, and the fact that about 10 years ago he had been diagnosed with a heart murmur. One of his heart valves has a minor defect, though it has never warranted any medical interventions. The doctor was none too happy about the murmur.

According to my hubby, who has the worst short term memory I have ever seen and cannot recall anything to save his life, the doctor said that he might not get medical clearance because of the murmur. the doctor, according to hubby, said that their was "conflicting medical information." My hubby did not ask for them to clarify further, unfortunately.

The doctor then listened to his heart, but could not hear the murmur herself. She then proceeded to tell my hubby that she would need to consult with a senior doctor, and that clearance might be possible, and that they would call him on Monday.

I guess I'm just freaking out and need some reassurance, but what is the likelihood of a harmless murmur that was recorded 10 years ago, preventing my hubby from getting medical clearance???
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the likelihood of being denied medical clearance?

I don't think that a murmur diagnosed 10 years ago, which now cannot be heard and which has never caused any medical problem will create difficulties for immigration purposes. How old is hubby?

However what is your husband going to do about health insurance in the US?

I ask since he is entering on a spouse visa not an employment visa. If he needs to obtain private health insurance they can refuse you on just about anything they are not happy with regarding your medical history.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

I don't think that a murmur diagnosed 10 years ago, which now cannot be heard and which has never caused any medical problem will create difficulties for immigration purposes. How old is hubby?
My hubby is only 29. I think it would be ridiculous for him to get denied for a murmur that they can't even hear anymore. They said he may need to get a test done to show his heart is ok (which I wouldn't mind doing anyway.)

However what is your husband going to do about health insurance in the US?

I ask since he is entering on a spouse visa not an employment visa. If he needs to obtain private health insurance they can refuse you on just about anything they are not happy with regarding your medical history.
Luckily, I have pretty good insurance, and I work at a hospital, so we are in good shape.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There are specific things that are grounds for denying a visa on medical grounds. I'm pretty sure that a heart murmur is not specifically one of them, but some medical conditions can raise public charge issues.

You might want to review 9 FAM 42.66 Notes, in particular N5 and N8, and also the CDC Instructions to Panel Physicians.

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:59 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it less the murmur per se than "conflicting medical information" that might be a problem?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

I wonder if it less the murmur per se than "conflicting medical information" that might be a problem?
That's what I'm worried about. Well, more confused than worried. My husband comes from an island, a VERY small community, and has only had two doctors. I find it hard to believe that the two primary care physicians he's had would somehow create conflicting information in their varies medical findings over the years. I wonder if my husband forgot to mention something, or misreported something due to a misunderstanding.

Maybe it was the fact that his medical records say he has a heart murmur, yet they could not detect one.

I guess I'm not really worried because I know my husband didn't lie about anything, although I would not put it past his faulty memory to miscommunicate or forget something.

Good news is that his interview today went swimmingly. We were missing a piece of paperwork (he somehow forgot to bring some of it, including my W2s from this year), but he is simply going to send it in when he gets home. Beside that, we have only to wait and see if they give him medical clearance.

I'm feeling much better about this, now that the end is in sight.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. You say he had his medical and interview today. I thought they didn't even schedule the interviews until they had the medical results back. Or is that only if you do DCF in London?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's only if the I-130 was filed with the USCIS London field office.

If the I-130 is filed with USCIS in the USA the interview is scheduled by the NVC, and the NVC does not collect the medical exam report.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by lansbury
I'm confused. You say he had his medical and interview today. I thought they didn't even schedule the interviews until they had the medical results back. Or is that only if you do DCF in London?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes, that's only if the I-130 was filed with the USCIS London field office.

If the I-130 is filed with USCIS in the USA the interview is scheduled by the NVC, and the NVC does not collect the medical exam report.

Regards, JEff
Thanks JEff, for some reason I had thought all were changed to after the medical. I see in another thread the explanation of why they did both the same day, nice to see the Embassy being accommodating.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:01 pm

The consular section is not being accommodating - it's constrained by the process that applies when the petition was filed with USCIS in the USA, which is that the NVC schedules immigrant visa interviews.

After that, yes, the consular section can revise a scheduled interview if the visa applicant requests a change, and can follow it's own procedures in doing so.

Regards, JEff

nice to see the Embassy being accommodating.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:28 pm

The consular section is not being accommodating -
They were - the OP did DCF and the Embassy let them schedule the medical and interview on the same day, because of unusably travel difficulties.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:16 pm

Who was the OP? You mean MrsMacIver? Although she's never said, indications are that she lives in the USA and therefore filed her I-130 with USCIS here in the USA.

She's made only 7 posts - in which did she tell us that the I-130 was filed with the USCIS field office in London?

Regards, JEff

They were - the OP did DCF and the Embassy let them schedule the medical and interview on the same day, because of unusably travel difficulties.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Apr 13th 2012 at 6:34 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:00 pm

Who was the OP? You mean MrsMacIver? Although she's never said, indications are that she lives in the USA and therefore filed her I-130 with USCIS here in the USA.

She's made only 7 posts - in which did she tell us that the I-130 was filed with the USCIS field office in London?

Regards, JEff
Do you know I don't think she did.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:18 pm

Hopefully she will respond to our discussion and put us out of our misery by confirming where the petition was filed!

Regards, JEff

Do you know I don't think she did.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:36 pm

Hopefully she will respond to our discussion and put us out of our misery by confirming where the petition was filed!

Regards, JEff
No I think you are right, I was having an AARP or SAGA moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.