Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Congratulations clarissageo welcome to the club
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations clarissageo, and thank you for sharing the photos!

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
All done and dusted! Today my relationship with USCIS was finally over (for now )

At 11am today, along with 49 other people from 30 different countries, I became a US Citizen. The ceremony was held in Lexington, KY. It was a fabulous experience!

Right from when we first arrived, all of the staff members were happy and smiley, super helpful, and made the whole day really pleasurable.

Once we got out of the holding room and into the courtroom, after the pledge of allegiance was said, the judge did his introductions, motions were filed by the US Attorney General, and the judge then asked each one of us to stand, state our name, where we were originally from, and where we lived now. I was really surprised to see no less than FIVE people from the town that I live in..... We could have car pooled!!

They didn't play the national anthem, which I was a little bit disappointed in....

Went on to take the oath (and yes, I did get a little teary eyed), and then followed by some guest speakers, and the judge did a little piece, talking about how we had all taken the big step of leaving everything behind that is familiar to us, to give our own families the chance to experience the freedoms that Americans take for granted (this really hit home for me, one of the main reasons I went for citizenship was so my twins could have the benefit of being 'grandfathered in'), then he called us all to get our certificates and we went along the line of speakers and officials who all congratulated us.

Once we were done, we were all STARVING... we'd set off at 7am, so we dived into some Long John Silvers, and then tonight we went out to a BBQ restaurant with our closest friends for dinner The certificate has already been color copied and put in a safe place, with a copy framed and hanging on my living room wall

Next stop... passport application!

Everyone on this forum has been so so helpful over the last 5 years since my journey began, and I thank you SOOOO much!
Great!.......wish mine had been in a nice location, your looks like i imagined mine and it was terribly disappointed......Pleased you had a nice day
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

So exciting to read of everyones' experiences - congrats to all!

Now on to my questions . . .

After an initial slow start, my husband's naturalization process seems to be speeding along. We just received notice that his interview is schedule for August 14th!

While he's a bundle of nerves that he'll totally blank on the questions/answers, I'm confident he'll do fine. He is, however concerned about the timing. He'll need to take off from work (as he's self-employed this is no small issue) and the notice we received says "the proceeding will take about two hours" - is that really the case? From all that I've read on here, it takes 10-15 minutes tops. Realistically, what should he expect?

** It doesn't appear that our local office is one of those where the oath ceremony can immediately occur after a successful interview, so that doesn't explain the 2 hour timing.

Second question - As he is applying for naturalization as my (USC) spouse, it says he needs to bring my "birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship" This is the first I've read of this requirement. I have no clue where my birth certificate is! I had an official copy when we originally filed our CR-1, but since then it must have gotten lost in piles of paperwork. I can get another official/certified copy, but is it absolutely necessary or will my passport suffice? I guess the easy answer is just to get a copy of the birth certificate, right

Thanks in advance for any clarification on my admittedly rather silly questions!

ETA: OK, looking at the full document checklist, it looks like my passport should suffice in the place of a birth certificate - right?

Last edited by HisBetterHalf; Jul 14th 2012 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
He'll need to take off from work (as he's self-employed this is no small issue) and the notice we received says "the proceeding will take about two hours" - is that really the case? From all that I've read on here, it takes 10-15 minutes tops. Realistically, what should he expect?
The ceremony itself is only 10-15 minutes, but the officers need to check ID, need to collect the green cards, need to collect the signed forms, need to organize people... and then afterwards, people need to line up to get their certificates, and many will want to take photos... so yes, it'll take 2 hours.

This is the first I've read of this requirement.
This is the first I've heard of it also. Are you sure you're reading the notice correctly?

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

the notice we received says "the proceeding will take about two hours" - is that really the case? From all that I've read on here, it takes 10-15 minutes tops. Realistically, what should he expect?
I would say 20 minutes tops, once you get called. I waited about 45 minutes to be called for the interview. You can't arrive right on the time given, as you need to get through security to get into the building and find the waiting room/area. Things happen they run late, so two hours is probably the most it could be, allowing for all that.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The ceremony itself is only 10-15 minutes, but the officers need to check ID, need to collect the green cards, need to collect the signed forms, need to organize people... and then afterwards, people need to line up to get their certificates, and many will want to take photos... so yes, it'll take 2 hours.

This is the first I've heard of it also. Are you sure you're reading the notice correctly?

Ian
The 2 hours isn't for the oath ceremony but for the naturalization interview (civic questions, reading/writing test). If it was meant to include the ceremony, then I could see how it would take two (or more!) hours, but for simply the exam, the time seems a bit much. I suppose they overestimate things in case they are running behind schedule - and as the interview is scheduled for 3pm, that could very well happen.

As for the birth certificate requirement, it is stated in the interview notice just as I typed/quoted it - - but then on the accompanying document checklist it is listed under "Proof that your spouse has been a U.S. Citizen for at least the past three years" and is included with a valid passport option. The rest of the required documents are simply originals of what we submitted with the N400 application.

I'll be in my hometown/birth county next week so I guess I can pop by the courthouse and get a copy of my birth certificate for extra peace of mind - but if the passport will suffice, I'd rather save the time and money and go that route.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 hours isn't for the oath ceremony but for the naturalization interview (civic questions, reading/writing test).
Oops... you're right. My bad. Even so, my interview took about 8.5 minutes once I was called... and 1.5 hours waiting to be called.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Congrads. :-)

Are you allowed to go into the interview with your spouse? Or must it be just you?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Missmoody is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all you expert people here..
I NĂ©ed you help..

I sent my n400 application on Monday, July 16/2012.
I haven't receive any recipe or letter yet,
My question is within how many days they sent you letter that they got your application?

And will they send me an email too when they will send a letter?? Or they will only send a letter no email?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Missmoody
I sent my n400 application on Monday, July 16/2012.
I haven't receive any recipe or letter yet,
My question is within how many days they sent you letter that they got your application?

And will they send me an email too when they will send a letter?? Or they will only send a letter no email?
It hasn't even been a week since you sent it. It can takes weeks to hear back. Not days.

If you signed up for email notifications, you might get one. Otherwise, no email, only regular USPS post.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now received the date of my ceremony which is next friday the 27th at 10am. Which is quicker than I was expecting which I am glad about. Looking forward to it now.

In regards to the question about the spouses birth certificate. I did take my wifes with me but the only thing they looked at was my green card and current Uk passport to make sure I was how I claimed to be.

Regarding the interview length the actual interview was probably less than 10 mins with about 20 min wait to get in.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Missmoody
If you sent a check for the fee, watch your bank balance. Once the check clears you can be sure they got your application... whether or not you ever get a receipt.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

So after being here for 22 years I was sworn in as a new US citizen along with 27 others in Greer SC. I was the only one from the UK.

I was not sure how I would feel about today as it happened and the best I can describe it is blah glad its over now lets get on with life.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Magpie1
So after being here for 22 years I was sworn in as a new US citizen along with 27 others in Greer SC. I was the only one from the UK.

I was not sure how I would feel about today as it happened and the best I can describe it is blah glad its over now lets get on with life.
Well congratulations on getting it over and done with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.