Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

BULLET POINT QUESTIONS FOR FCO- Comments/ and Correspondence from BHC

BULLET POINT QUESTIONS FOR FCO- Comments/ and Correspondence from BHC

Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BULLET POINT QUESTIONS FOR FCO

Originally Posted by noni
This message is from the office of the British High Commissioner New Delhi, Sir Richard Stagg, on his forthcoming meeting to discuss issues concerning property purchases in Goa.

"Please note that the meeting with the British community in Goa will be held on 23rd April, at the Marriott hotel in Panaji, from 6:00 to 7:00 pm.

The meeting is open to all British Nationals. Please pass this information on to any other British nationals who might want to attend.

British Consular Section,

POSTED THIS HERE AS WELL.

HAVE EMAILED SIMON TO SAY HOW MUCH THE BHI ARE WASTING THEIR TIME AS MOST PEOPLE WILL BE BACK IN UK - THEY NEED MEETINGS NOVEMBER TO MARCH, for the biggest impact.
sheesh!

At 11:00 this morning, sitting in an hotel in Mumbai, I managed to change my cancelled BA flight to 28th. It was 50/50 whether to fly back to Goa or stay here - the hotel said we were OK to keep the room so that was the clincher, we decided to stay in Mumbai.

Suggest to BHC they have a meeting here in Mumbai - nearer for them, and there are probably more Brit property owners here this week!

AndyD 8-)#
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:30 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
sheesh!

At 11:00 this morning, sitting in an hotel in Mumbai, I managed to change my cancelled BA flight to 28th. It was 50/50 whether to fly back to Goa or stay here - the hotel said we were OK to keep the room so that was the clincher, we decided to stay in Mumbai.

Suggest to BHC they have a meeting here in Mumbai - nearer for them, and there are probably more Brit property owners here this week!

AndyD 8-)#
I just don't understand their mentality - they are as bad in some cases as the Goans.
Safe flight home - it is cold here (well for me it is) although the sun is shining.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

I just don't understand their mentality - they are as bad in some cases as the Goans.
Safe flight home - it is cold here (well for me it is) although the sun is shining.
I have texted many people and received no responses, i really dont know who's here now!!!!
Whoever goes can tell them that Anupam Kishore is defineately not on our side as far as helping us, the response we got from him was take your papers to the registrar and he will refer them to me for approval, yeh right !!! registrar wouldnt even look at them..... let alone send them to Mr kishore, thats if the registrar even knows who he is or what office he works in...
The advocates dont even know the FEMA rules you dont need permission to sell your property if you brought after 2000,, and we got that in writing from the RBI...
Couldnt he just put the answers to our questions on BE ?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

I'll be there - thanks for the advice.

Will also be keen to learn if there have been (or could be) any developments on the imposed 2 month gap.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:25 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who will attend the meeting, can one of you please put a full summary of the meeting onto this site so that we are all kept abreast of what is going on.

Thanks

Dread - x
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:55 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iain492001
I'll be there - thanks for the advice.

Will also be keen to learn if there have been (or could be) any developments on the imposed 2 month gap.
When I emailed Simon to-day I asked about the visa's and also what visa's people have who have property, will advise when I hear from them.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:38 pm

Kindly put on by Helene

Message from British Consular - PLEASE READ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends

This message is from the office of the British High Commissioner New Delhi, Sir Richard Stagg, on his forthcoming meeting to discuss issues concerning property purchases in Goa.

"Please note that the meeting with the British community in Goa will be held on 23rd April, at the Marriott hotel in Panaji, from 6:00 to 7:00 pm.

The meeting is open to all British Nationals. Please pass this information on to any other British nationals who might want to attend.

Goa”

Re: Message from British Consular - PLEASE READ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene
Dear Friends

Goa”

Have emailed Simon to say how stupid it is to have a meeting when most of the people are in the UK or shut out of Goa because of the 2 month re entry problem. (only those with the volcanic dust issue and a few hardies will be there)__________________
what will be, will be. noffi
'Donmemeslik' "We'll never come back"
unless things change.

iain492001

I've replied on another posting that I'll be there - nice to know that I'm a "hardy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain492001
I've replied on another posting that I'll be there - nice to know that I'm a "hardy"

We may attend,it depends if there is anything new to report.Which i very much doubt.

John

Yep I'm a hardy also, we'll be there Friday St.Georges Day
Lets not give this guy the chance to say we are not interested, we have their attention please lets keep it.

Horse Doctor

iain492001

I agree, H.D. - it's only right we show our full support.

After all, Rome wasn't built in a day......................

Yesterday, 6:41 am #7
wallydug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrum
We may attend,it depends if there is anything new to report.Which i very much doubt.

John

Meeting #4.
Another exercise in bullshitting.
The number of views for this notification shows a distinct lack of interest.
Being a Hardy, I`ll be there, but not in spirit.
A member of a national, Brit, newspaper is in Goa, I`m inviting him.

Wally.

goanstay
Lovin' it

I'm also a hardy, but surprised I didn't receive official notification of this (via Locate)
See you on Friday - more free beer anyone???__________________
Some people like to be stressed - personally I don't do "stress". I can't see the point.

msj5

I`m a hardy too! Imformed a property owning friend who was also annoyed that he hadn`t heard anything from Locate!. He`s passing the word around. J

gregit

Wish you all good news from the meeting, that said theres too many Hardy's for me so I'm backing out of here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/co...iss-Hardy.html

gregit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregit
Wish you all good news from the meeting, that said theres too many Hardy's for me so I'm backing out of here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/co...iss-Hardy.html

Thanks for that one Gregit - made me laugh no end. What is it they say? Many a true word spoken in jest !!

Dread - 'ful political correctness !
x

Folks
Let's give some credit to Simon Ferrand where it is due. Since the last BHC meeting in January, this guy has brought in the support of a number of other European leaders to back the cause, and has actually got the EU president writing to the Indian ministries about the visa and property issues as well. I think that demonstrates commitment on his part, and shows he has not exactly sat on his butt doing nothing for us.
In India everything moves slowly, and it is a matter of taking many small steps, and building a network of campaigners, together with obtaining the evidence to get the changes we are looking for and the fair play we all seek.
We have the BHC's support, so let's show them that they have our support as well, and for anyone who can attend the meeting, please try and make the effort to be there and represent those of us who are back in the UK and can't be there.
Now is not the time to lose faith and demonstrate disinterest. There is a momentum in flow which is heading in the right direction, and I for one would not like to see that broken by apathy or lethargy.

Dread - forward march
x

dreadsoc

Carbuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Folks
Let's give some credit to Simon Ferrand where it is due. Since the last BHC meeting in January, this guy has brought in the support of a number of other European leaders to back the cause, and has actually got the EU president writing to the Indian ministries about the visa and property issues as well. I think that demonstrates commitment on his part, and shows he has not exactly sat on his butt doing nothing for us.
In India everything moves slowly, and it is a matter of taking many small steps, and building a network of campaigners, together with obtaining the evidence to get the changes we are looking for and the fair play we all seek.
We have the BHC's support, so let's show them that they have our support as well, and for anyone who can attend the meeting, please try and make the effort to be there and represent those of us who are back in the UK and can't be there.
Now is not the time to lose faith and demonstrate disinterest. There is a momentum in flow which is heading in the right direction, and I for one would not like to see that broken by apathy or lethargy.

Dread - forward march
x

Well said!! The timing might not suit everyone but we "Hardies" must support this initiative. This is not a part time battle!!

Carbuncle
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:57 pm

First of all apologies for making a pig ear of transferring the
above thread to this one, but I feel we must keep all the Consular information in one place

To-day I had two emails from Simon, apologising that he had not replied sooner but they had been working around the clock assisting some 10.000 - 12,000 stranded Britis in India.

He says that the BHI fully apreciate my comments that many of us will be out of the country, and he has been reading our observations on the BE site The High Commissioner wants to uphold their promise of January to update the British Community on what they have been doing on our behalf. Therefore he will see whoever is around and if it;s a much smaller group will benefit from a more personal account of the difficulties people are experiencing. So those of you who are in Goa, please make an effort to go to the Marriot and put our points of view across to the BHI.

Simon understands that we are suggesting to wait until November when the season starts. Peter Beckingham is keen to come down to Goa so, please once again I ask you to if at all possible to attend, and also give me your opinions so that Simon can put it into Peter Beckingham's diary.

I know it is short notice, but any pm you send me will be forwarded immediately to Simon.

I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of all BE members to thank Simon and the team for what they are doing for us, he certainly returns my emails efficiently and as speedily as possible.
[/COLOR]

Pity the HCI did not do the same for him.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Have informed any people of the meeting and all are going to give their support, but i feel many of them like myself want answers tomorrow, many are desperate to sell, many cant afford to keep going home for their visa's, many have applied for extensions to old visa's and have yet to get a response let alone an extension !!!!!I hope it dosent end up a slagging match!!!for those who live here on a permenant basis this is a make or break situation now, and I for one dont want to hear excuses that the BHC has been busy because of the "ash problem". surely 9 months has been enough time to get things moving and yes i know we are in India but Noni and the rest of the gang have done their upmost to provide any information needed.
We need results not excuses ..... lets wait and see...
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

I believe we should have the meeting and have been telling those few people I know who are still here that they should consider attending. This does not mean we cannot have another meeting in November but it would provide some info as months of sil"nce does not make it easy to keep " hanging in ".

Hope to see all of you who are still here at the Marriott tomorrow
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by erinsgirl
I believe we should have the meeting and have been telling those few people I know who are still here that they should consider attending. This does not mean we cannot have another meeting in November but it would provide some info as months of sil"nce does not make it easy to keep " hanging in ".

Hope to see all of you who are still here at the Marriott tomorrow
Now is your chance to have your say at the Marriott, I know there will be a lot less of us, BUT YOU CAN HAVE YOUR SAY.

Would somebody please report back as to how the meeting went. Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
I wasn't able to get to the meeting yesterday, but (as those of you who attended will know) I asked a friend who was attending to read out a statement for me; for the benefit of everyone else here it is in full:
After fulfilling all the legal requirements (including getting 'X' visas) we purchased our property and presented the Deeds for Registration to the Sub-Registrar of Bardez on 30th April 2008. The Deeds (and fees) were accepted but 'held pending'.
Our lawyer filed a Right To Information application seeking the reason for not registering - which was said to be 'awaiting permission from RBI'. We submitted a letter from RBI saying that if we were 'persons resident in India as per FEMA' we did not need permission, but Registration was still refused.
We followed the appeals procedure laid down in the 1908 Registation Act, and when, finally, on 7th November 2008 Registration was still refused we filed Civil Suit in the Fast Track Court in Mapusa against the Sub-Registrar, the Chief Registrar and the Govt. of Goa.
This was Decided on 30th November 2009.
A number of points were made in the Judgement:
The RBI letter had pointed out that any local e.g State Govt. rules must be followed, but in his evidence the Civil Registrar stated that there are no rules framed by the local government in respect of deeds presented by foreign nationals.

The Court accepted rulings (precedents) submitted by our lawyer showing that if persons seeking registration have not violated any law or commited any irregularities then Registration Authorities cannot refuse registration by raising flimsy objections.

The Govt. argued that a person has to stay continuously for a period of 182 days without a break to acquire the status of "person resident in India" but THE COURT REFUSED TO ACCEPT THIS.

The case was found in our favour and the Sub-Registrar was directed to register our sale deed.

The Govt. of Goa did NOT appeal the decision within the permitted time.
I am told that the case can be quoted as a precedent by anyone in a similar situation -
HOWEVER before anyone starts popping champagne corks:

After the Govt. failed to appeal, our lawyer wrote to the Sub-Registrar (around 21st Jan 2010) asking when we could collect the Registered Deeds - but received no reply, thus putting the Sub-Registrar IN CONTEMPT.
On 23rd March 2010 we applied to the Panjim Court for an Enforcement Order as the Sub-Registrar was in Contempt. This was granted but had to be forwarded by the Panjim Court to the Mapusa Court, which received it on 17th April 2010.
As I write this I have still to hear from my lawyers whether it has been served on the Sub-Registrar.

It would seem that even winning in Court is not enough - the Goa Govt. will ignore it.
This is outrageous and I ask the British High Commission to take up the matter with the Indian authorities.

Andy Davies
I'm still waiting to hear from my lawyers (they now tell me that the Mapusa judge has now signed a Summons against the Sub-Registrar) so there may be more news soon, but I decided it was time to go public with what there is now.

The case reference is:
Civil Suit No. 25/2009 In the Court of AdHoc District Judge Shri Narayan S. Amonkar - 1 Fast Track Court Mapusa

AndyD

Last edited by a_f_d; Apr 24th 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Hi all,
I wasn't able to get to the meeting yesterday, but (as those of you who attended will know) I asked a friend who was attending to read out a statement for me; for the benefit of everyone else here it is in full:

I'm still waiting to hear from my lawyers (they now tell me that the Mapusa judge has now signed a Summons against the Sub-Registrar) so there may be more news soon, but I decided it was time to go public with what there is now.

The case reference is:
Civil Suit No. 25/2009 In the Court of AdHoc District Judge Shri Narayan S. Amonkar - 1 Fast Track Court Mapusa

AndyD
Thanks for sharing that with us Andy - will be interested to know the outcome.

Am very disappointed that nobody has given us information on last nights meeting. I wonder if many people turned up, especially as people were complaining that Locate had not informed them of the meeting.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing that with us Andy - will be interested to know the outcome.

Am very disappointed that nobody has given us information on last nights meeting. I wonder if many people turned up, especially as people were complaining that Locate had not informed them of the meeting.
The message was sent out on LOCATE to every active member so people need to check if they are active on that site...was sent tuesday according to shilpa from BHC panajim
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really nice

Originally Posted by poppetjay
The message was sent out on LOCATE to every active member so people need to check if they are active on that site...was sent tuesday according to shilpa from BHC panajim
Deb and me spent more than 3 years volunteering to visit Fort Aguada to give some food and comfort to the unfortunate people that were there (guilty or not) and I have to be honest and say that although Shilpa is a caring and loving human being she gets paid by the Brits and She really doesn't give a shit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.