Bahrain move

Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Robinlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain move

Hi everyone,

I have posted this (a bit) on the welcome section.

I have been offered a job I. Bahrain and it's not a part of the world I know. I have travelled on holidays to various places but never worked outside of the uk (or even England).

There are many questions that may not be able to be answered because I don't know enough about Bahrain. However if I ask the questions and people need more information I will pass on as much as possible. Also questions will help me because it's something I can ask my new employer.

What does it cost to rent/buy a property in a safe area with say three - four bedrooms?

What areas are good?

What us Bahrain going to be like for my wife? She wouldn't be working (taking care of a 2year old and another on the way)

What's the education like?

What's the cost of living there?

What are the roads like?

I will ask more but, it's dinner time.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain move

Originally Posted by Robinlee
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a job I. Bahrain and it's not a part of the world I know. I have travelled on holidays to various places but never worked outside of the uk (or even England).

There are many questions that may not be able to be answered because I don't know enough about Bahrain. However if I ask the questions and people need more information I will pass on as much as possible. Also questions will help me because it's something I can ask my new employer.

What does it cost to rent/buy a property in a safe area with say three - four bedrooms?

What areas are good?

What us Bahrain going to be like for my wife? She wouldn't be working (taking care of a 2year old and another on the way)

What are the roads like?

Thanks in advance
A post so good you posted it twice - with the same mistakes....
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, dealing with a wife calling dinner, typing and a two year olds tantrum.

Dinner was good by the way!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Other questions:

My wife and I will probably have another kid within a year. Her worry is that being pregnant, then staying at home taking care of the new baby will be hard without family. Is there a good social life for stay at home mums in Bahrain? My wife currently works part time because our little girl is currently going to a childminder 3 days a week. This is more for our daughters social
Development and wife's sanity than money.

If my wife decides to get a part time job in say two/three years time is there much work going for someone with little qualifications and British? I know this question might come across as snobbish and it really isn't intended. I really don't know what the culture of Bahrain is like.

I am sure more questions to follow.

Thanks
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,

What does it cost to rent/buy a property in a safe area with say three - four bedrooms? There are areas where you can buy but renting is more the norm - depends on the property but for 3/4 bedrooms in expat dominated area expect to pay somewhere starting from BHD 1,000 per month up to whatever you want to pay. Generally, can negotiate an all inclusive deal where Electricity, Water and Municipal Taxes are included. Have a look a bahrainpropertyworld

What areas are good? Depends on where you will be working - For the expat clubs - Rugby Club, Dilmun there are lots of compounds in Saar, Budaiya, Janabiya - also close to St. Christopher's School and British School of Bahrain. British Club is in Adliya which is the main restaurant area and home to Nadeem School. In reality Bahrain is tiny so it doesn't really matter where you live as no commute is enormous. Other areas popular with expats are Riffa Views, on the Golf Course and Amwaj Islands

What us Bahrain going to be like for my wife? She wouldn't be working (taking care of a 2year old and another on the way) - Bahrain has somewhere between 8-10,000 British expats, many wives don't work - kids once they are in school will keep her busy enough with after school activities - swimming, horse riding, ice skating, football, rugby, tennis, choir, dance to name but a few - plenty of social get togethers all over the island - tell the Mrs to have a look a Mums In Bahrain on Facebook

What's the education like? Education is good, British style schools being St. Chris, BSB and Nadeem (personal choice would be in that order - my daughter is at St. Chris) waiting lists for them so need to get your little one on the list as soon as you get here.

What's the cost of living there? Slightly more expensive than the UK - pretty much everything is imported but then no tax and petrol at 16p a litre do somewhat make up for that

What are the roads like? Generally good, there is still some trouble hung over from the Arab Spring in 2011 so the dis-loyals do still occasionally burn tyres on the roads but honestly it's nothing to worry about.

I will ask more but, it's dinner time. Go for it

Thanks in advance
Welcome hope it helps
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

reading_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Bahrain

Hi All,

I am originally from India and have lived in England for more than 7 years and is currently holding a British Passport. My employer in the UK has offered me a position in Bahrain and therefore, considering a relocation along with my young family(3 year old son).

Having lived in England for sometime and previously worked in other countries, such as, India, Mongolia and Maldives, I am in an opinion that I have always been treated fairly and with respect. I have heard some horror stories about how Indians are treated in that part of the world. However, my colleagues(White Westerners) have praised Bahrain and the feedback received so far has been very good.

Due to my ethnic background, I am slightly concerned about how we will be treated there. I don't want to expose my family to a vulnerable environment where a certain ethnic group is treated differently than others. This is one of the important consideration of my relocation and would appreciate any comment.

Also, please can you suggest the current situation in Bahrain in terms of security. Is it safe to move with a young family.

Thank you in anticipation of your response.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

I can recommend, I had been searching for quite sometime.

http://www.propertyfinder.bh/en/rent.html

Easy site to navigate.

Bahrainpropertyworld is ok. Cross check info on both sites. The information is not always credible. We've rented our apartment yet it is still being advertised as available.

Be aware they will say the same property is in different locations.

Mums in Bahrain is great for local info and get togethers. Unfortunately we no longer have "little" kids so I don't really qualify.

Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Thinking of moving to Bahrain

Originally Posted by reading_1979
Hi All,

I am originally from India and have lived in England for more than 7 years and is currently holding a British Passport. My employer in the UK has offered me a position in Bahrain and therefore, considering a relocation along with my young family(3 year old son).

Having lived in England for sometime and previously worked in other countries, such as, India, Mongolia and Maldives, I am in an opinion that I have always been treated fairly and with respect. I have heard some horror stories about how Indians are treated in that part of the world. However, my colleagues(White Westerners) have praised Bahrain and the feedback received so far has been very good.

Due to my ethnic background, I am slightly concerned about how we will be treated there. I don't want to expose my family to a vulnerable environment where a certain ethnic group is treated differently than others. This is one of the important consideration of my relocation and would appreciate any comment.

Also, please can you suggest the current situation in Bahrain in terms of security. Is it safe to move with a young family.

Hi,

I have not yet lived in Bahrain so I can't really comment on what it is like on the ground. I will say that I was shocked when I got the job offer and asked why an expat specifically. I was told by someone who said he was born in Bahrain (persona who offered me the job) 'we get cheap Indian labour and don't trust them to work as managers, we much prefer westerners'.

Please don't take this as my opinion or as the way thing are. I have not lived there and have just as many questions (if not more) as you before I go. This was a comment Made to me by one Bahrain national who I have never met in person.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 11:37 am
Just Joined

1aws is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

What areas are good?

What are the roads like?

Thanks in advance

Hi Robbinlee,

I moved here from London almost 6 months ago and backinthesands reply is spot on.

To add, I have noted there are two things which cost less than the UK, petrol and haircuts, the latter depends on whether you have hair...or not. If you do then it depends on how long your hair will remain as you can either love your job or hate it with the stress.
Having said that most expats really enjoy working here.

Your kid can start a decent nursery at 18 months like the British Preparatory School, my kids love it, the education and teachers are great in the schools mentioned, I would recommend get your applications in now as there could be a lengthy waiting list.

If you're to have another baby, help from maids are readily available and affordable, some choose to be maidless, obviously if wife is working it's a very cost effective and only option.

We moved to a safe and quiet area by the Saudi Border called Hamala, a 3 large Bed villa with a private pool for 1,000 BD Inc, advertised for much more. We shipped our furniture from UK and arrived within a month.

Bahraini people are nice and respectful, they have no issues with expats.

Your goal is a career investment and save money.
Your expenditures here are predictable especially if you get all inclusive on your rent, this means you can actually save!

Good weather, good shopping malls, good food and good expat community, you will make friends for life.

Job agencies are available therefore if your wife is to work chances are they can find her something. I have come across a few people who have had a career change out here, but also bear in mind the economy can struggle and it's a small place.

Good luck with the decision.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by reading_1979
Hi All,

There does exist this stigma about the Indians in the Gulf in general, but once they know that you are from the west they will adjust to that. Mind you Bahrain is a far cry from Dubai in terms of family life. Good luck any way
Old Apr 20th 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your input. I am almost set on Bahrain (99%) although I just found out my wife pregnant with our second.......it seems a difficult decision can never be difficult enough!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2014, 4:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

There are pros and cons to moving to a desert city with very young children. There is far more home help (cleaning, cooking) available, and lots of pools, but a big downside to all places is either the lack of decent parks, or the weather is too hot/dusty/humid to use what decent parks there are. For me, as a mum of two, being able to get the kids out of the house and do exercise rather than plugged into computer/video games all day, is a very real challenge, when it is 41c today and high humidity. Even if you are just sitting outside, you can get heat stroke. Having a young baby in a flat or house all day because you can't go out can feel very claustrophobic after a while. If your wife delivers in ?October? then you will start winter time with your baby which is a nice introduction, but summer will hit just as baby turns 6 months and you want to get out more. I can't advise whether you should go or stay, but if you decide to go to Bahrain, do help your wife not go nuts.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for your input. I am almost set on Bahrain (99%) although I just found out my wife pregnant with our second.......it seems a difficult decision can never be difficult enough!!!!
Good luck with which-ever way you decide to go. Expat life is great for kids there is no denying that, but the grand-parents will not agree. What OS says is very true, October to end March very pleasant the rest of the year is a challenge
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:16 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
There does exist this stigma about the Indians in the Gulf in general, but once they know that you are from the west they will adjust to that. Mind you Bahrain is a far cry from Dubai in terms of family life. Good luck any way
And how do you know this?

Bahrain was great for family life when we were there.

I have a few guys working for me in Bahrain and they love it, they turned down the option to relocate to Dubai recently as they prefer Bahrain.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
And how do you know this?

Bahrain was great for family life when we were there.

I have a few guys working for me in Bahrain and they love it, they turned down the option to relocate to Dubai recently as they prefer Bahrain.
Absolutely agree, we love the village atmosphere of Bahrain and wouldn't change it (unless we have to)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.