Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

... and a special award to wookiebt - it's not often that someone gets Bipat and me to agree on something <g>

AndyD 8-)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
So, a Not silly link:

http://getup4change.org/rti/wp-conte...gners20011.pdf

AndyD 8-)

P.S. I now remember finding this years ago, when the same discussion errupted.
Well done for finding that, I have been searching all afternoon at the same time as a half-hour + phonecall to the helpline to get my Kindle to work.

(I frequently agree with you, don't always post it.)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:40 pm
Banned

wookiebt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by a_f_d
OK sir, but there is no "if payment is not involved, do not continue with the form" clause?

Also, how many visitors to Goa would choose to live in Bhopal and commute 800 miles each day to the beach?

Scraping the barrel for justification comes to mind?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bipat
Well done for finding that, I have been searching all afternoon at the same time as a half-hour + phonecall to the helpline to get my Kindle to work.

(I frequently agree with you, don't always post it.)
The scruffy scanned link quoted, starts by saying.........

"If anyone knows of a foreigner without correct documentation etc "

(can't copy and paste the exact wording as the messy link doesn't allow it)

Have no idea as to the relevance of this gem, as thought we were talking about people with "correct documentation"............ ie, a valid visa?

Seems that you have agreed on being wrong maybe?

Not just trying to be argumentative........... but over the years it seems that the evidence for "not completing a C form" is outweighed by simply doing it and keeping a paperwork-happy nation................. happy?

Even those posting on here saying no need to do it, without qualification, then qualify the advice by saying it could lead to problems with the police!!

Last edited by wookiebt; Jan 14th 2014 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wookiebt
The scruffy scanned link quoted, starts by saying.........

"If anyone knows of a foreigner without correct documentation etc "

(can't copy and paste the exact wording as the messy link doesn't allow it)

Have no idea as to the relevance of this gem, as thought we were talking about people with "correct documentation"............ ie, a valid visa?

Seems that you have agreed on being wrong maybe?
Goa is an Indian State the 'C' Form used in Bhopal is the same wording as the 'C' Form used in Goa. I presume Andy used it as an example.
http://www.goatourism.gov.in/images/uploads/c_form.pdf

People do go to other parts of India and for reasons other than a beach!!

Correct Documentation refers to a valid visa in the sense of not overstaying etc.
The two links are quite clear; the 1971 ruling that all householders should report the presence of a foreigner visiting their house was repealed.
They are still obliged to report a foreigner visiting who is over staying or other illegality.
(Although I must say We have never been asked to show our visas to relatives or friends when we have stayed with them, they all have trusted us.

We have tried to explain so perhaps we can leave it there.

As has been said above, the law does not specifically mention foreign house owners so perhaps British house owners in Goa and local police are making their own ad hoc law. I don't know, our place is outside Goa. Andy perhaps would know better.

Last edited by Bipat; Jan 14th 2014 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:53 pm
Banned

Afd's link...........

makes no reference to repeal of anything?

Your link,

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...s-indian-hosts

whilst referring to some sort of "change of mind", in no way links in to the act of 1939, 1992, or C forms, so where is the relevance?

Why do I persist?

Basically, because advice is being given to ignore C form rules with no substantive evidence, which could lead to problems with the authorities for members of this forum.

I have presented references as to why it should be conformed with based on Indian Government dictates, but I see no contrary evidence.

Why the resistance to complying with a simple system that allows a (paranoid) nation to have some idea where visiting foreigners might be residing?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Afd's link...........

Your link,

whilst referring to some sort of "change of mind", in no way links in to the act of 1939, 1992, or C forms, so where is the relevance?

Why do I persist?

Basically, because advice is being given to ignore C form rules with no substantive evidence, which could lead to problems with the authorities for members of this forum.

I have presented references as to why it should be conformed with based on Indian Government dictates, but I see no contrary evidence.

Why the resistance to complying with a simple system that allows a (paranoid) nation to have some idea where visiting foreigners might be residing?

A_F_D's link -- see 3) The last Line.

My link was referring to the 1971 Act making it compulsory for all private householders to report the presence of foreigners visiting their house. It was repealed . As above.

It is relevant to the original poster who was asking whether she had to fill in a 'C' Form for non-paying family/ friends staying at her house. The answer was NO. The above links found after searching confirm this.
I think after all this discussion she must be reassured

Other posters introduced the subject of Foreign house owners who volunteer to fill in the 'C' Form which is intended for landlords running hotels/guesthouses etc. (the words shown in the 1992 Act). The wording on the Form indicate this.

If you and others want to fill in the Form fine!! My posts have always referred to the original poster's question regarding family visitors who are not paying her rent.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Afd's link...........

Your link,

Why do I persist?

3. The Foreigners (Report to Police Order, 1971 is hereby repealed

... and at the bottom the scruffy link is revealed to be:
PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE OF INDIA EXTRAORDINARY. PT II DATED 7TH AUGUST 2001

This Correspondence is now terminated.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

I know of several persons of "niz Goenkar origin" who are having Portugese passports and are owning property in Goa/India/ Europe/USA/ Canada and running business worldwide and visiting Goa for "uncertain periods of time" and are also on the electoral roll and are in some cases elected representatives holding official office in Goa.

Do they fill in a "C" Form during their prolonged stay while living/visiting for an uncertain period their home/family residence in Goa while on a foreign passport and a national of a foreign country? What visa do these foreign nationals travel to India on and do they have to register at the FRO within 14 days and obtain stamped approval at the same offices whenever they leave India?

Are these foreigners eligible for Permits Of Residence?

Last edited by babu1; Jan 15th 2014 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:02 pm
Banned

Love it Babu............. but hadn't you noticed Afd has closed the discussion?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by babu1
I know of several persons of "niz Goenkar origin" who are having Portugese passports and are owning property in Goa/India/ Europe/USA/ Canada and running business worldwide and visiting Goa for "uncertain periods of time" and are also on the electoral roll and are in some cases elected representatives holding official office in Goa.

Do they fill in a "C" Form during their prolonged stay while living/visiting for an uncertain period their home/family residence in Goa while on a foreign passport and a national of a foreign country? What visa do these foreign nationals travel to India on and do they have to register at the FRO within 14 days and obtain stamped approval at the same offices whenever they leave India?

Are these foreigners eligible for Permits Of Residence?
OCI?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

Okay, but OCI does not confer political rights in India or the right to hold public office.

Last edited by babu1; Jan 17th 2014 at 8:13 am.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

It's a bit complicated!

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Try this : C Forms for Hotels/Guest Houses in Goa