Just got back..

Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just got back..

Had a good time. Notable points....

Seems like 80pct+ of tourists are Russian.
Taxis won't move for less than 100 Rupees.
No mosquito bites (using DEET)
Partner bitten 4 times and used the anti malarials (no symptoms of malaria or side effects noted)
Great temperatures hovering around 30C (not too stifling)
Ashvem slowly expanding in development (mainly Russians 95pct)
Traffic heavier than I have ever known.
No dicky tummy at all, (though we are very vigilant on that front cause it really spoils your holiday)

Russians are not all the same, we spoke briefly and awkwardly in pigeon English to a few friendly families. Though a lot stare at you like you just arrived from planet ZOG. What is with that ? Also they never ever smile back at you in the end I gave up my little friendly smile. They seem to have some completely unwarranted superiority complex.

Young Russian women seem to have the worst rep of all and we heard a few un-savoury rumours from locals that many were there to earn money.
The Goans hate the fact the Russians have no manners or respect "only drinking drinking" Heard a story of a woman getting naked in a taxi and harassing the young driver, not good.

All in all, a really nice time despite insane visa costs for UK nationals, much discussed by 2 weekers as ridiculously extortionate to the point they will no longer be going. Shame as they just announced in local newspapers that UK tourists had surged 9pct in 2013 over 2012 visits.

Loads of Indian tourists during a 3 day holiday period but thats fine by me and expected of course.

100 Rupees to the £ helps offset the visa at this time.

All in all

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Jan 25th 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just got back..

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
..... they just announced in local newspapers that UK tourists had surged 9pct in 2013 over 2012 visits......
All in all
They announce that every year - reality notwithstanding.

AndyD 8-)
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Putins children....I always like reading the comments of the Russian Consular guy in Panjim in The Herald when ever an incident occurs with Russian tourists. He should have his own TV show because some of the statements he comes out with are hilarious. According to him Russians are peaceful cultural and understanding and that all the problems that occur happen because the majority of them do not speak English....Funny there are more Russians in Spain and the majority of them do not speak Spanish and do not get into difficulties or misunderstandings.....A small minority of the Russians in Goa are definitely what used to be called The Lumpen Proletariat in that they are ignorant uncouth racist louts and that includes the women too.I was in Oxford Stores 2 days ago and i watched them intimidating the security guard and shop lifting cheese and meat from the fridges.(The alcohol section had 2 guards on permanent watch.)The women were sticking them down their knickers and the boy friends, who i must admit were big, were shielding them from the unformed guards. The Consular guy never mentions the fact that the Russians have a bad reputation for shop lifting in Goa but then that might be a little misunderstanding by them not being able to know right from wrong like him.The man is a complete idiot.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

It was highly bizarre seeing a KFC mid Calangute. Cripes.. place is looking more like a main road in Mumbai or Kolkata these days.

I suppose ultimately whilst socially/culturally there are issues, the Russians have kept Goa going through the recession. The locals often saying business is bad etc. but I cannot reconcile that with the vast number of people (predominantly Russian and Indian) you see. I have never seen as many people in Goa as I saw this time. I heard a few other English, Finnish, Scandinavian voices and 1 German woman and that was literally it for the whole holiday.