Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Weather Questions and Winter driving

Weather Questions and Winter driving

Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Weather Questions and Winter driving

I was just wondering what type of heating others have. We have gas convector heaters, a radiator and a wood burner. So a mix of everything really.... Any hints/tips for our first winter here greatly appreciated.

On another matter - what is the date one must have winter tyres - I thought it was end October?

Many thanks
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Weather Questions...

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I was just wondering what type of heating others have. We have gas convector heaters, a radiator and a wood burner. So a mix of everything really.... Any hints/tips for our first winter here greatly appreciated.
On another matter - what is the date one must have winter tyres - I thought it was end October?
Many thanks
Have thought of storage heaters as nowadays these can be so light they can be "hung" on the walls. And if you have an off-peak electrical circuit then this seems possibly to be a good idea. Still to investigate!

Winter tyres - no formal date in Hungary
"In any country the driver is responsible for equipping and controlling his vehicle correctly. Drivers may be liable to a fine if they impede the normal flow of traffic or cause an accident as a consequence of not adapting their vehicle (tyres/snow chains) to suit the prevailing weather and road conditions."
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi

Many thanks
Winter tyres should be put on when the temperatures are forecast below zero or the first snow is forecast - for your own safety. You should carry snow chains for at least one side of the vehicle as if a stretch of road is marked that snow chains are required - they are then compulsory on that stretch of road. Also, remember if planning on driving through Austria or other bordering countries, the requirements are different. In Austria for example, snow tires are compulsory from 1st of November.
Hungary was expected to bring in a similar law but last I heard the legislation still hasn't been passed.

Stock up on wood! One of the most frequent complaints we hear during the winter is the cost of running gas convector heaters and to a slightly lesser extent - central heating.
Have you decided to stay for the winter? If so, it will be a case of trial and error for you
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we wont have to worry about the price of gas as I dont even know how to turn the gas heaters on! Waiting for gas man to come and service them...
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

gas is incredibly expensive here, as is electricity. We have an electric storage heater which we hate using but have to but generally rely on a 16kw wood burner to heat the house through. We've also considered buying a traditional tiled wood burning stove as these retain the heat for much longer (cserepkalyha (sp)).
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:22 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We have a traditional tiled woodburner which must be as old as the house, so not one of the newer more attractive ones. On starting renovations, I was adamant that it be removed from the house as it was hideous and I didn't believe you would get much heat out of such a small burning compartment. Our young labourer told me I was mad and that one the size of ours would cost over 2,000 GBP. Needless to say we kept it and I have recommended them ever since. It is the only source of heating in our house and in winter we sometimes have to open the windows as it is too warm.
An extra bonus is that ours is fitted between the living room and kitchen walls, in the kitchen we have a wooden rack above the heater which we use for drying herbs, hanging pots and in the winter, drying clothes which saves us having to use the tumble dryer
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:03 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

You are so right - to build a cserépkályha does cost allot now - we have just had one done in a hill house where no gas available - they are fantastic source of heat from a very small fire - and as you say so often cleverly built between two rooms. The tiles can be great looking as well as practical.

The guy who builds them is a very repected craftsman.

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
We have a traditional tiled woodburner which must be as old as the house, so not one of the newer more attractive ones. On starting renovations, I was adamant that it be removed from the house as it was hideous and I didn't believe you would get much heat out of such a small burning compartment. Our young labourer told me I was mad and that one the size of ours would cost over 2,000 GBP. Needless to say we kept it and I have recommended them ever since. It is the only source of heating in our house and in winter we sometimes have to open the windows as it is too warm.
An extra bonus is that ours is fitted between the living room and kitchen walls, in the kitchen we have a wooden rack above the heater which we use for drying herbs, hanging pots and in the winter, drying clothes which saves us having to use the tumble dryer
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting re the woodburner as 'small' is exactly what I was thinking i.e. how can something like that chuck out so much heat. As for gas, I got a gas bill when we first moved here, I havent even used any mains gas

This really is a daft question, but there are also vents in the walls in each room, some of which have been painted over - what are these - are these to do with the woodburner? The previous owners painted over them too. I think they must be to view the chimney, as one of them is functional and the chimeny sweep tax man came round the other day, inspected it, ticked a box and then charged us.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Also, where do you get wood from - the local 'tuzep'?

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Yes, the holes in the wall are for access to clean the chimney. The chimneys should be inspected each year (I believe) and usually costs a couple of thousand forints for a 5 minute inspection!! Most mayors don't seem to bother enforcing the inspections though, I'm assuming it's the mayor office that has responsibility for this?

The best and usually the cheapest place to buy wood is from a neighbour or local wood merchant. The neighbours should know and are generally the best source of information. Just make sure you don't buy green wood and 1 cubic metre can be anything from 10-14,000 ft depending on the seller, size of the logs, whether it is pre chopped etc

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Sep 22nd 2011 at 10:12 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Rural - will let you know how I get on
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:14 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Some builders yards sell wood and coal, coal is quite cheap.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Builders yards tend to be more expensive than local sellers.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:13 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants one of these wood burners (cserépkályha) built, I can recommend

Monostori Péter cserépkályhás vállalkozó
cím: Lesenceistvánd, Esső pince

- telefon: 87/436-290
- e-mail: [email protected]

He brings a portfolio of examples - carefully understands what you want & then brings back a design to agree. His workmanship is great & he does what he says he will. Sticks to the deal, the design & the agreed price.

sadly he doesn't speak english.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Smile Re: Weather Questions...

If you have a stand alone woodburner, (not a tile one) you can increase the heat it gives out by inserting a tube into the main outlet funnel, that splits into 6, then goes back into one. It looks like a piece of modern art, we bought ours from a hardware store in Marcali
Also double glazing and heavy curtains in the winter helps with conserving the heat, and good old fashioned draft excluders for the doors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.