Calgary hairdressers

Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:12 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice
Default Calgary hairdressers

Evening guys,

Just a quick question if I may?
I qualified as a hairdresser about 10 years ago. I got my NVQ lvl 2 and was halfway thru mu LVL 3 when I got made redundant. I then went to work in retail as a job to pay the bills as u do, and I'm still in retail :curse:But back to my question, if I wanted to work In Calgary, Alberta wold I need to take an exam to get a canadian equivalent of an NVQ? I know I would need to take a bit of a refresher course etc but was wondering how it worked in terms of exams?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Calgary hairdressers

Originally Posted by Silverbug
Evening guys,

I qualified as a hairdresser about 10 years ago. I got my NVQ lvl 2 and was halfway thru mu LVL 3 when I got made redundant. I then went to work in retail as a job to pay the bills as u do, and I'm still in retail :curse:But back to my question, if I wanted to work In Calgary, Alberta wold I need to take an exam to get a canadian equivalent of an NVQ? I know I would need to take a bit of a refresher course etc but was wondering how it worked in terms of exams?
Hi and yes. To work as a stylist in Alberta you have to have a license and that involves taking an exam. I haven't actually done it yet but i know a British hairdresser who has and she said it wasn't too difficult.
If your thinking of doing a refresher course anyway then it shouldn't be a problem.
You have to have a license to buy professional hair products which is a bit of a pain, as you can't do any private work, unless you're just cutting of course.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:32 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by joelsa
Hi and yes. To work as a stylist in Alberta you have to have a license and that involves taking an exam. I haven't actually done it yet but i know a British hairdresser who has and she said it wasn't too difficult.
If your thinking of doing a refresher course anyway then it shouldn't be a problem.
You have to have a license to buy professional hair products which is a bit of a pain, as you can't do any private work, unless you're just cutting of course.

Thanks for that Joelsa, thats really helpful.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:29 am
Just Joined

tammy t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverbug
Evening guys,

I am a hairdresser in US,looking for hairdressers in Canada to try my line of skincare.We just went global to Canada,UK, Australia. We are growing rapidly and have amazing products.Would love to talk with you more and send you free samples.I am making as much with this comoany working 10 hrs a week then cutting hair 40 hrs.Tammy T 417-337-0670 (phone)
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

DammiF is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Calgary hairdressers

Originally Posted by tammy t
I am a hairdresser in US,looking for hairdressers in Canada to try my line of skincare.We just went global to Canada,UK, Australia. We are growing rapidly and have amazing products.Would love to talk with you more and send you free samples.I am making as much with this comoany working 10 hrs a week then cutting hair 40 hrs.Tammy T 417-337-0670 (phone)
Dear All,

One of my friend living in Sri Lanka, Recently She completed NVQ level 4 and She has five years working experience. Now She wants to know How does she find the AQF level of this course

Pls reply,

DF
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:39 pm

Lozza2302 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Calgary hairdressers

Hi Silverbug,

To qualify for a license in Alberta you have to challange the exam with Alberta Trade and Industry. To be able to challange this exam you require 4200 hrs of experience over 3 years in the last 10, and you need to be able to prove through previous employment that you have this experience, there is info and forms on www.tradesecrets.gov.ca. I qualified last year NVQ level 2 thinking i could have a trade when i came out here, as i don't have the required experience i would either have to go back to college f/t or find a place willing to take me as an apprentice. At 39 i feel a bit too old for that.

Hope this helps you

Regards Lorraine
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

scottieb will become famous soon enough

Hi,
im looking for a job at the minute, ive been hairdressing for 10 years, do i need a licence to work for somone else?? would this mean i cant actually get a job untill i'm there?
In your experience how easy is it to a get a job in hairdressing? im moving to calgary.
thanks
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Hello, my family and I are in the process of getting our visa and hope to be arriving in Australia in October/November.

I have been hairdressing for 16 years. I have owned two hair & beauty salons for 13 years which I sold ten months age, ready for our move.
I also am head of dept at a private hairdressing acadamy.
I am wanting to get work asap when we arrive in Australia as my wife wont be able to work due to us having four kids.

how do i go about getting a licence? i am wanting to get my own salon again but i will work for someone when i arrive.
We are planning on moving to Brisbane to the Redcliffe area. I know you dont need a licence to trade but you do to own you own salon.
I have got the highest level qualification in hairdressing with various teaching certificates plus a wide variety of other qualifications. My only question is how to get a licence as noone seems to be able to tell me anything about it

Any info would be great
Thanks
Carl
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Carl England
Hello, my family and I are in the process of getting our visa and hope to be arriving in Australia in October/November.

I have been hairdressing for 16 years. I have owned two hair & beauty salons for 13 years which I sold ten months age, ready for our move.
I also am head of dept at a private hairdressing acadamy.
I am wanting to get work asap when we arrive in Australia as my wife wont be able to work due to us having four kids.

how do i go about getting a licence? i am wanting to get my own salon again but i will work for someone when i arrive.
We are planning on moving to Brisbane to the Redcliffe area. I know you dont need a licence to trade but you do to own you own salon.
I have got the highest level qualification in hairdressing with various teaching certificates plus a wide variety of other qualifications. My only question is how to get a licence as noone seems to be able to tell me anything about it

Any info would be great
Thanks
Carl
Sorry Carl but this thread is about Hairdressing in Calgary, Canada.

You may want to post this question in the main Hairdressing forum.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottieb
Hi,
im looking for a job at the minute, ive been hairdressing for 10 years, do i need a licence to work for somone else?? would this mean i cant actually get a job untill i'm there?
In your experience how easy is it to a get a job in hairdressing? im moving to calgary.
thanks
I haven't actively been looking for a job as i'm taking a career break (I have 3 young kids)

From what i understand is, yes, you need a license to practice as a hairdresser - be it for someone else or on your own.

Go here http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ca/ for more information. It's quite complicated as you have to have worked for so many hours to qualify.

Hth
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Drazfoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Im British. I have the points wrapped up (72) i have a job offer and my app is going to be submitted. HOWEVER, do i take the exam for the license once ive been accepted and im living in Canada and working or do i have to take the exam before being accepted for the VISA?