Entering UK

Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Maureen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering UK

We are returning "home" to live on 3rd Aug we bought one way ticket from Canada. We have just heard that because my husband is carrying a Canadian Passport we may have trouble at the UK border. I have a British passport. We also have our UK NI #'s plus UK bank account. does anyone know if we will have problems. We are getting desperate time is running out.
Thanks
Maureen

Last edited by Maureen; Jul 26th 2010 at 2:29 pm. Reason: SPELLING
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: Entering UK

Do you have his immigration papers or any proof he can be there? My hubby is also a Canuck. He has a nifty stamp in his Canadian passport that gives him right to abode in the UK ...he doesn't have issues.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Hubby is British we took duel citizenship. We did not realise that carrying a Canadian passport would cause us problems at the border. and it is too late now to get that stamp before 3rd aug
Thanks
Maureen
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maureen
Hubby is British we took duel citizenship. We did not realise that carrying a Canadian passport would cause us problems at the border. and it is too late now to get that stamp before 3rd aug
Thanks
Maureen

Well he just needs British ID I guess, sorry I assumed with the CAD passport. My bad.

Sorry If I gave you more stress.

There is a great guy on here called JAJ he will have an answer I am sure!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If he has proof of British citizenship surely that would allow him entry along with his Canadian passport. Does he have his old UK passport and birth certificate etc?
I've heard of UKC entering on expired UK passports
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

We have many documents that prove his British citizenship.birth, NI Marriage certificate etc but still we are reading he should have a stamp in his passport. We would have gone for British passport for him had we been able to apply in Cananda BUT now we have to apply in Washington DC.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

If you carry hubby's birth certificate with you, and the name on the birth certificate matches the name on the passport, then you can show this to the immigration officer at entry.

I'm no expert but this is clear proof and on this basis you would be OK.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reassurance. We had mail from British Consulate he tells us that they MAY allow us entry but it is entirely up to the border control officer. So lets hope he/she is in a good mood that mornin g because we are going to take a chance.
Has anyone on this board ever had problems with them?

Thanks again
Maureen
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reassurance. We had mail from British Consulate he tells us that they MAY allow us entry but it is entirely up to the border control officer. So lets hope he/she is in a good mood that mornin g because we are going to take a chance.
Has anyone on this board ever had problems with them?

Thanks again
Maureen
Never had a problem I used to take the kids on their US passports and me on my UK one and go through the UK line, never had a problem. I'd dig out his old UK passport and have that with you too. I think this happened to someone else here a long while back, they entered and the US or Aus passport was stamped for however many days they give holiday makers and they were told to get a UK passport asap and not sure if they had to report back or not.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Our problem is that we purchaased ONE WAY tickets, because we did not know that would cause such a problem
Maureen
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our problem is that we purchaased ONE WAY tickets, because we did not know that would cause such a problem
Maureen
You shouldn't have a problem as long as the airline will let him board. Will it?

If he has an expired British passport (interestingly, you don't tell us that), then that should be (normally) valid as an entry document for the United Kingdom.

But in these cases, if he gets past the airline, he MUST get a new British passport immediately from the Passport Office.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Yes he does have aan expired British passport.
I did ask the airline if he could board on one way ticket with Canadian passport. and the answer was "well theres not USUALLY a problem" I will be a trembling wreck as we approach the desk
Maureen
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:46 am
Just Joined

By the way, the airline is Canadian Affair, Thomas Cook
Maureen
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

As it is too late to get a new passport from Washington your husband could look into a emergency travel document: http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/help...tolen-passport. The cost quoted on the website is £69.00 = $121.00 (Current Consular Rate of Exchange C$1.75 = £1 wef 4 January 2010).

This document, commonly referred to as an emergency passport, is issued by the Consular Section at the British Consulate or British Consulate General. If you are near enough to travel to one of the offices this might be the best way to ensure that your husband is allowed to travel on his one way ticket.

Good luck!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:57 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, the airline is Canadian Affair, Thomas Cook
Maureen
Hi Maureen
We've always travelled with Canadian Affair, and never had a problem. OH is English born with dual nationality....Canadian/UK. We came home in June 2008, he used his Canadian passport, I have only my UK one.....we came through at Manchester with no questions asked, no eyebrows raised, no hair pulling or teeth gnashing. We're going back to Canadai in September for a holiday and don't anticipate any problems.
Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.