Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864, I-864W, I-864EZ???

I-864, I-864W, I-864EZ???

Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of
Default I-864, I-864W, I-864EZ???

Hi there,

Struggling to understand which forms I should fill to sponsor my wife and two kids. They have all submitted I-130's for IR visas. My wife is a UKC. My boys were not automatic USC's as I never lived permanently in the US.

Kids:

Should I fill the I-864W? I think they become USC's when they land in the US. However one of the requirements on the form is that "The child is residing permanently in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. parent". Being that we have not yet had the IR visa approved, we are obviously not yet in the US. So does that mean I-864?

Wife:

The I-864EZ requirement talks about W2 forms which I guess are a US employment thing. I have only a UK employment history thus far. It also talks about the applicant being the only person on the I-130 (I thought that only one person could ever be on those!). I have filed three separate I-130's for the three. Again, does that mean I-864?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I-864, I-864W, I-864EZ???

hi ryan,
i dont think you can use the i864 ez as your wife is bringing the kids.

someone may know better but i thought the i864 ez was just for a single married person ie my wife has filed one for me as theres only me on the petition

thanks
dean&lori
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanayr
Kids:

Should I fill the I-864W?
Yes - because...

Being that we have not yet had the IR visa approved, we are obviously not yet in the US.
... the I-864W does not actually come into effect until the day you enter the US.

Wife:

The I-864EZ requirement talks about W2 forms which I guess are a US employment thing.
No. Use the I-864. The EZ is generally used when your US-based income is sufficient to sponsor and there is no joint sponsor.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

Ian, thanks again