Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

My mum is British, but I was born before 1983... How can I get a passport?

My mum is British, but I was born before 1983... How can I get a passport?

Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Lisabox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My mum is British, but I was born before 1983... How can I get a passport?

Help please!

I am looking for information/help as to how to obtain dual citizenship/passport for the UK.

It's extremely confusing as I am born before 1983 and of a female descent.

Can anyone offer me any insight?

Much appreciated!

Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My mum is British, but I was born before 1983... How can I get a passport?

Providing you would became a British Citizen automatically on 1 January 1983 if mothers could have passed on their British citizenship in the same way as fathers could at the time of your birth then you can apply to be registered as a British Citizen under S.4(C) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

Download and complete Form UKM after reading the notes and make sure to enclose the required supporting documentation. You will then need to send this to the UK Border Agency in Liverpool.

The application is free, but you will need to pay for your citizenship ceremony, the fee for which is £80 at the moment.

If you are outside the UK then arrangements will be made for you to attend your ceremony at your local British consulate. When you attend the ceremony you be required to swear your allegiance to the Queen and pledge your loyalty to the United Kingdom.

Once the ceremony is finished you will be a British Citizen and you will be given your Certificate of Registration. You can then use this to apply for your British passport.