SA spouse visa enquiry ...

Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:36 am
Just Joined

bellchops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SA spouse visa enquiry ...

Hi

I'm a british woman looking to move to South Africa with my South African boyfriend of 4+years. My boyf was born in Johannesburg and has both british and South African Passports. I am trying to find out how to apply for a spouse visa so I can live and work in South Africa, but I'm finding the info on the web limited to visa companies, who would charge double of doing it ourselves!

Our situation is a little difficult as we're currently travelling and are in Melbourne at the moment so couldn't go to the SA embassy in the UK in person. We want to sort my visa out here before we go to SA if we can!

Does anyone know how I could aquire the Visa? or would i need to go back to the UK and sort it from there?

Thanks in advance for any help

Bells
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA spouse visa enquiry ...

I suggest you look up "permanent residence" on the Dept of Home Affairs web site, or the SA High Commission site (in the UK or even in Australia) and familiarise yourself with what you actually need and the process. Either this or bite the bullet and pay others to do the work for you.

No, it doesn't have to be done from the UK necessarily.

If you have read up at all on this site, you will have discerned that the process is slow, frustrating and bureaucratic. My own judgement is that trying to deal with it on the fly while you're travelling around would be almost impossible.

Last edited by Pablo; Mar 21st 2010 at 8:53 am.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:23 am
Just Joined

rayexUkinSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pablo
I suggest you look up "permanent residence" on the Dept of Home Affairs web site, or the SA High Commission site (in the UK or even in Australia) and familiarise yourself with what you actually need and the process. Either this or bite the bullet and pay others to do the work for you.

No, it doesn't have to be done from the UK necessarily.

If you have read up at all on this site, you will have discerned that the process is slow, frustrating and bureaucratic. My own judgement is that trying to deal with it on the fly while you're travelling around would be almost impossible.
I would agree with Pablo here. I waited untill I arrived BUT you must have Police clearance, medical report and proof of your relationship and financial support. I waited to get here for my X-Ray as much cheaper than UK.

Good Luck,

Ray
Old May 18th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

the ferns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rayexUkinSA
I would agree with Pablo here. I waited untill I arrived BUT you must have Police clearance, medical report and proof of your relationship and financial support. I waited to get here for my X-Ray as much cheaper than UK.

Good Luck,

Ray
Hi rayexUkinSA,

Could you let me know which visa you got? Was it the temporary spousal visa?
I have just received my temporary spousal visa and am finding it a nightmare to get a job as I still need to get a work permit which can take anything from 3-8 weeks. Am just curious if you or anyone else is having the same problem as me?

bellchops I would recommend trying to get your visa sorted before you get to south africa if you can, it will cost you but you can avoid the hassell of arriving and not being able to do anything until your visa is issued.
Also means you can search for a job as soon as you arrive, if you do intend to work.

Thanks and good luck
Old May 19th 2010, 5:29 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=the ferns;8574330]Hi rayexUkinSA,

Could you let me know which visa you got? Was it the temporary spousal visa?

Mine was a Life Partner Permit (similar to spousal)

I have just received my temporary spousal visa and am finding it a nightmare to get a job as I still need to get a work permit which can take anything from 3-8 weeks. Am just curious if you or anyone else is having the same problem as me?

You need to try to get a job offer. I had no problem when offered a job as we submitted the Employment Contract. The sort of work that you are seeking may have a bearing - don't expect to get a job that a local could fill!!!
Old May 19th 2010, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Just a thought. If you are anxious on funds and are over 55 with a UK pension plan / scheme come back to me.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

the ferns is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: SA spouse visa enquiry ...

Thanks very much for the reply

[QUOTE=rayexUkinSA;8575141]
Originally Posted by the ferns
I had no problem when offered a job as we submitted the Employment Contract.
How long did it take to get the work visa?

Originally Posted by the ferns
The sort of work that you are seeking may have a bearing - don't expect to get a job that a local could fill!!!
The problem is not the finding a suitable job, its that companies feel they cannot offer me a job as they do not know when I will be able to start. Telling them that it could be anything between 2-8 weeks before I'm able to start does not inspire confidence.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

How long did it take to get the work visa?
About 2 weeks if it is an endorsement.

Originally Posted by rayexUkinSA

The problem is not the finding a suitable job, its that companies feel they cannot offer me a job as they do not know when I will be able to start. Telling them that it could be anything between 2-8 weeks before I'm able to start does not inspire confidence.
Depending upon your skills / amount that you are in the public eye, it's a case of either starting then applying or them waiting or maybe something in between i.e. get contract, submit then start.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:34 pm
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Its very simple. If you have been together less than 5 years you must apply for temp spousal permit which allows you to work. You must have a contract and they will then state the name of the company on the permit-there is no need for a company to sponsor you/prove that there is not a south african who can do the job. I had to re-apply this week (changing jobs) and according to Home Affiars it will take 4 weeks.