South African job prospects

Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Antant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South African job prospects

Im not, although it looks this way timing wise, some bight eyed, naive sucker for all the positive world cup footage im seeing about South Africa(excellent though they have made it look).

Im fully aware of both the social issues that still beset South Africa, and the, in my view, justfied, laws of affirmative action that dominate South African employment laws.

However, i would be extreamly greatful if someone such as myself-an early 20s, full time employed graduate from the UK, who is thinking that if he is going to make an attempt to make his move, best do it sooner than later, or someone who WAS and has successfully moved, could give me an idiots guide to where i can look for appropriate work(im a history graduate, a trained and experienced teacher of English as a second language, with extensive experience in the leisure and hospitality industy, currently working in the insurance industry with a globally renowned name.)-websites, contacts etc, as well as any accomodation, visa info etc(especially relavent to someone willing to make it a full time move).

Any help would be appreciated
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South African job prospects

Just go,Teachers are desparately needed,although underpaid,there are hundred of volunteer positions that will pay you board and lodging and some pocket money.
go there for three months, live in the country, outside particularly, in the poorer rural areas.
get some localised experience which will stand you in good stead,
make some contacts, then go back home and do some good hard research.

Oh, and you may well find that Affirmative Action, like communism, is fine in theory but destructive in practice.
a Black kid with a degree is no longer disadvantaged.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Antant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daxk
Just go,Teachers are desparately needed,although underpaid,there are hundred of volunteer positions that will pay you board and lodging and some pocket money.
go there for three months, live in the country, outside particularly, in the poorer rural areas.
get some localised experience which will stand you in good stead,
make some contacts, then go back home and do some good hard research.

Oh, and you may well find that Affirmative Action, like communism, is fine in theory but destructive in practice.
a Black kid with a degree is no longer disadvantaged.
well, as im not black i daresay my enthusiasm for affirmative action might be tested

Then again, its not my country so who am i to criticise.

Do you have any idea where i would find a reliable source for ESL jobs in South Africa?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.pnet.co.za - you can specify jobs which are BEE or non-BEE, although in reality the skills shortages are so great you won't struggle if you have suitable qualifications. You might need to go to South Africa House in London and have them convert your certificates into South African equivalents which is a pain but probably worth the hassle if you are serious. There are plenty of big insurance companies here if that's your bag (Outsurance, Hollard and Miway are amongst the biggest). I worked in the UK for Allianz but frankly couldn't wait to get away from insurance!

As mentioned in another recent thread, you won't find many companies rushing to do your work permit paperwork as it is onerous and expensive
so rather come on a visitors visa and get the lie of the land - find a job and then apply although this is also a bit of effort, time and frustration - lots of hoops to jump through and will probably mean you leaving the country and returning once the paperwork is sorted.

Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:20 am
Just Joined

marcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nicemarcofoo is just really nice

I'm in a very similar situation to yourself, having visited Cape Town twice in the last 18 months (1 month total) I am looking to make the move in 2011.

I am a BSc construction management graduate with 2 years junior project management experience and am currently working for CBS in the outdoor media industry (ops management). I will be 26 by the time I hope to move.

My main concern is getting a decent job out there. Does anyone know if there is much demand for people with my 'skills' or do I fall into the category of residents before immigrants? I've seen a few project management in construction roles advertised but haven't done a full on search just yet. If I were to find some suitable roles and begin the application process, would I be expected to go for interviews or are these usually done over the phone/online under my circumstances?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:27 pm
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Hi I moved to Johannesburg 3 years ago after 9 years in the US. Reason was I married a South African and was sick of the US. Despite all of the fears of affirmative action getting work here was easy. I have worked for 2 large companies in mid-management level and am about to start at my third in a senior position. Ironically, career prospects better here because of the skills shortage if you have international experience. Didnt have issue with visa due to my marriage to SA citizen (ie no need for company to sponsor you)
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

john.t is on a distinguished road

Check out http://www.pnet.co.za/ for jobs in SA - it is a very comprehensive site.