practical exam theory

Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by GAZZA77
Hi Everyone
i am new to this site

I have my IELTS in december so any info on this would be great

Also have my skills test early next year and do not really know what to expect

Both these tests are for Australia so any info would be great

Originally Posted by hynesy
Hi Gazza,

I had my IELTS a couple of months ago and to be honest it's nothing to worry about, English was never my favourite subject and I found it resonably easy. As long as you do the obvious paragraphs and punchuation you will be fine.

As for the practical I have mine Saturday so il let you know as much as I can after.

Good luck!
For any UKC / Passport holder, IELTS is only necessary if you need the points. There are two types of test - Academic or General. DIBP don't mind which you do, and as it isn't necessary for skills assessment, you get to choose. This isn't really relevant to skills assessments for Electricians.

As for the practical - there is lots of information in the forum on what you can expect - if you can't see any obvious threads, there is a search function in the tool bar above
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

GAZZA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Hynsey

That would be great if you could let me know what it is all about I have read up on a lot and the DOL stuff is no problem as I work on the industrial side of things anyway.

Still getting used to this site were things are

Were are you doing the skills test

Cheers
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hynesy
Hi Gazza,

I had my IELTS a couple of months ago and to be honest it's nothing to worry about, English was never my favourite subject and I found it resonably easy. As long as you do the obvious paragraphs and punchuation you will be fine.

As for the practical I have mine Saturday so il let you know as much as I can after.

Good luck!
Cheers this would be a big help if you could let me know all about the test theory and practical i work on the industrial side of things so the DOL bits are ok with me it is the australian safe isolation it's a bit different to ours

Cheers Gazza 77
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers this would be a big help if you could let me know all about the test theory and practical i work on the industrial side of things so the DOL bits are ok with me it is the australian safe isolation it's a bit different to ours

Cheers Gazza 77
Did you get sent a copy of safe disconnect / reconnect with the skills assessment paperwork?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Did you get sent a copy of safe disconnect / reconnect with the skills assessment paperwork?
I have not received my paperwork through yet so just gathering info at the moment

cheers
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:52 pm

I have not received my paperwork through yet so just gathering info at the moment

cheers
I'm sure I got sent one - or printed it out from Vic Uni website, but have looked and can't find it. I always worked with SILT = Stop, Isolate, Lock Off, Test - but I'm sure there was more to it than that. If I find it, I'll post it. The rest of what was covered in my test I've posted already, but I did do Vic Uni practical and not Vetassess. We had multi choice theory covering AC and DC, pf correction, leading / lagging, RLC circuits. DC resistor circuits - series and parallel. We also had to do a practical on the resistor circuits wiring up a circuit and calculating voltage, current or resistance at given points, then set up a variable supply to the correct output and connect meters to prove calculations. There was identify parts of a transformer and test. The DOL, wire and test. Disconnection / reconnection. Last was the domestic board, correct selection of cables and breakers, wire power and lighting to given drawing and test.

Hope that helps
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Dune is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Please, does Anybody know the maximum value allowable for the earth continuity resistance of an appliance frame to its earth facility in ohms

I have also researched and found Minimal insulation value to be 0.5M ohms

I think the answers are
0.05 ohms
and 0.5M ohms
is this correct ?
exam this Saturday

Thanks Dune .
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Dune
Hello

Please, does Anybody know the maximum value allowable for the earth continuity resistance of an appliance frame to its earth facility in ohms

I have also researched and found Minimal insulation value to be 0.5M ohms

I think the answers are
0.05 ohms
and 0.5M ohms
is this correct ?
exam this Saturday

Thanks Dune .
Earth continuity resistance should be low enough to allow sufficient current to flow causing protective devices to operate in the specified time

Insulation resistance is 0.5Meg in UK and 1 Meg in Australia I think
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Earth continuity resistance should be low enough to allow sufficient current to flow causing protective devices to operate in the specified time

Insulation resistance is 0.5Meg in UK and 1 Meg in Australia I think
Hello

Thanks .I was sure about minimal insulation value
the photo I took further up this thread was of actual paper I did about a month ago .
they asked the question and wanted a figure .what I thought they wanted was ZS ? This is obviously relevant to the CB protecting the circuit .
but If I remember the circuit was a 16 Amp 60898 B type protecting the circuit being used ???
Thanks Dune .
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:56 am

Hello

Thanks .I was sure about minimal insulation value
the photo I took further up this thread was of actual paper I did about a month ago .
they asked the question and wanted a figure .what I thought they wanted was ZS ? This is obviously relevant to the CB protecting the circuit .
but If I remember the circuit was a 16 Amp 60898 B type protecting the circuit being used ???
Thanks Dune .
From a look up table in the regs, Re for a 16A type B gives a value of 1.15 ohms but I had to get a book out and look it up. As you are not gonna have a regs book in there - are you sure it wants an actual figure?

Edit - sorry - just re-read your original question, Resistance of appliance frame to it's own earth point so is only a part of Re - and I can't find a set figure even with the regs book infront of me. Have you got a copy of UK regs?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 14th 2013 at 5:11 am.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:03 am
Just Joined

From a look up table in the regs, Re for a 16A type B gives a value of 1.15 ohms but I had to get a book out and look it up. As you are not gonna have a regs book in there - are you sure it wants an actual figure?
Hello
Yes I hope you can read this photo of the exam paper
Dune.
Attached Thumbnails practical exam theory-20130914_154655.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:20 am

Hello
Yes I hope you can read this photo of the exam paper
Dune.
If its from frame to earth on dis board that would be Re. From frame to appliance earth stud then I think it's 0.5 ohms but I can't find it in the Australian regs at the moment
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:22 am
Just Joined

If its from frame to earth on dis board that would be Re. From frame to appliance earth stud then I think it's 0.5 ohms but I can't find it in the Australian regs at the moment
Thank You for your help
Dune .
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Hello again

It is from earth terminal of tubular heater to frame of equipment / tubular heater
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:57 am

Hello again

It is from earth terminal of tubular heater to frame of equipment / tubular heater
I'd go with 0.5 ohms then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.