practical exam theory

Old May 28th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

sparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by lukeparker06
Hi i am also sitting my Practical assessment soon. if you still have the attachment you sent earlier in this thread could you send it over please? many thanks
I sat the exam recently with Future Skills International and was going to post on here with regards to what the exam consisted of. I was super nervous before the exam and spent a lot of my time researching this thread before taking it.

Firstly the exam is nowhere near as intense as I thought the to assessors were both very helpful, although not giving you the answers to any questions they tended to push you in the right way.

The day consisted of 3 sections. A two hour theory exam, drawing a schematic and then wiring a DOL starter with an emergency stop and then second fixing a basic domestic setup with DB.

1. The DOL starter. This was the most worrying section for me but after all the research i had done it really wasn't that difficult. Make sure you know how to draw the schematic for a DOL starter three phase motor including the thermal overload and then also know how to draw the control circuit with thermal overload, emergency stop, stop and start. Someone on here explains exactly how to do this in very simple terms (follow that). Then you just need to wire the control circuit which if you revise you should be fine. After completing this you are asked to carry out the safe isolation procedure to isolate the 'faulty motor' they gave me a step by step guide of how to do this. I then had to do an IR test on the motor (remember to remove links between the windings as it's a star set-up). I then had to safely turn it all back on.

2. 'The dreaded theory.' This again wasn't too bad although I did need the full two hours. It's split into three section, 1 electrical knowledge 2. Health and Safety 3. Electrical theory. Revise everything found within this thread. A few questions on the differences between AC/DC, what are the advantages of using AC over DC for transmission etc. A few fault questions. Ohm's law is covered a few times as is I*V=W oh and voltage in DC parellel/series. A lot of questions that any spark should know like tools used on site and how to use safely. Then a couple of maths questions chucked in at the end all these had the equations but i'm not sure if they give everyone the same exam sheets.

3. The domestic practical. Firstly you have to select the correct cable to use and breaker, so just revise cable selection a bit. They do give you all the tables you will need. All I had to do was second fix a couple of switches, sockets, one cooker point, a fluorescent light with a one-way switch and then a DB. It was literally all wired for me. You then have to do all the dead test on the circuits. Following that you have a fault scenario which again was just a reverse polarity fault (remember they may change this every exam).

Like I said I was super nervous but found it all went well. I think any spark who does this exam and revises first should be fine.

If anyone reading this has any questions please don't hesitate to PM me. This site have been invaluable to me and I would like to put something back into it.

I hope this is of some help to you.

P.s I PASSED
Old May 28th 2013, 7:46 am
Just Joined

lukeparker06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James, thanks for your reply, that's very helpful.

Did you have to a 'Elective' and bring it with you on the day? I'm having trouble with the Electrical installations elective as its asking about fault finding in a DC circuit etc?

Congratulations on your pass.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

sparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond reputesparkyjames has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukeparker06
Hi James, thanks for your reply, that's very helpful.

Did you have to a 'Elective' and bring it with you on the day? I'm having trouble with the Electrical installations elective as its asking about fault finding in a DC circuit etc?

Congratulations on your pass.
Thanks mate.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "elective". I had to get all my qualifications recognised before hand but thats it. I did mine onshore with future skills.

Give me a shout if you want any more info.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:03 am
Just Joined

davwilson84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by sparkyjames
I sat the exam recently with Future Skills International and was going to post on here with regards to what the exam consisted of. I was super nervous before the exam and spent a lot of my time researching this thread before taking it.

Firstly the exam is nowhere near as intense as I thought the to assessors were both very helpful, although not giving you the answers to any questions they tended to push you in the right way.

The day consisted of 3 sections. A two hour theory exam, drawing a schematic and then wiring a DOL starter with an emergency stop and then second fixing a basic domestic setup with DB.

1. The DOL starter. This was the most worrying section for me but after all the research i had done it really wasn't that difficult. Make sure you know how to draw the schematic for a DOL starter three phase motor including the thermal overload and then also know how to draw the control circuit with thermal overload, emergency stop, stop and start. Someone on here explains exactly how to do this in very simple terms (follow that). Then you just need to wire the control circuit which if you revise you should be fine. After completing this you are asked to carry out the safe isolation procedure to isolate the 'faulty motor' they gave me a step by step guide of how to do this. I then had to do an IR test on the motor (remember to remove links between the windings as it's a star set-up). I then had to safely turn it all back on.

2. 'The dreaded theory.' This again wasn't too bad although I did need the full two hours. It's split into three section, 1 electrical knowledge 2. Health and Safety 3. Electrical theory. Revise everything found within this thread. A few questions on the differences between AC/DC, what are the advantages of using AC over DC for transmission etc. A few fault questions. Ohm's law is covered a few times as is I*V=W oh and voltage in DC parellel/series. A lot of questions that any spark should know like tools used on site and how to use safely. Then a couple of maths questions chucked in at the end all these had the equations but i'm not sure if they give everyone the same exam sheets.

3. The domestic practical. Firstly you have to select the correct cable to use and breaker, so just revise cable selection a bit. They do give you all the tables you will need. All I had to do was second fix a couple of switches, sockets, one cooker point, a fluorescent light with a one-way switch and then a DB. It was literally all wired for me. You then have to do all the dead test on the circuits. Following that you have a fault scenario which again was just a reverse polarity fault (remember they may change this every exam).

Like I said I was super nervous but found it all went well. I think any spark who does this exam and revises first should be fine.

If anyone reading this has any questions please don't hesitate to PM me. This site have been invaluable to me and I would like to put something back into it.

I hope this is of some help to you.

P.s I PASSED
hey guys.... and hello sparkyjames.... thanks heaps for posting the indepth explanation of your assessment that you did in Brisbane with future skills. I am doing my assessment with them in 2 weeks, and your post has been a massive help on what to revise, as I didn't know where to start...

There are a few areas that I didn't understand in full.... (probably because I don't do it in my day to day work)

----- u mention the dol starter with thermal overload on the control circuit... ive been revising this and how to draw it of the top of my head but after you have been asked to draw it u are required to then wire it and test it??? this is a bit hard for me to get my head around as ive never used them in my line of work and don't know where to start with revising ? any help would be much appreciated.

Also an IR test on a motor??? what did this entail? all ive done since finishing my apprentaship in England is bloody solar installs for 3 yrs in aus so my electrical brain is taking some time to get into gear again lol. but if I pass I will be posting every book ive read and youtube vid ive watched so that other fellow expats can see whats relevant and whats not :-)
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Tom_Kelly is an unknown quantity at this point

really useful thanks
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:34 am
Just Joined

cionnlocha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Hope all of ye are well, I am hoping to do the vetassess electrical practical exam in perth, I have the first part done and just waiting to hear back so I can go ahead and do the practical. I have read a load of very helpful articles on this site thanks all who posted them but I am still very nerkvous as to what I need to know for the assessment. All help and tips as to what I need to know would be greatly appreciated. THANKS ALL
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cionnlocha
Hi all,

Hope all of ye are well, I am hoping to do the vetassess electrical practical exam in perth, I have the first part done and just waiting to hear back so I can go ahead and do the practical. I have read a load of very helpful articles on this site thanks all who posted them but I am still very nerkvous as to what I need to know for the assessment. All help and tips as to what I need to know would be greatly appreciated. THANKS ALL
Hi cionnlocha,

I did mine with Vic Uni (and because they never originally included practical's, only did this last month). There was some theory questions; identify parts of transformer and test; set up dc resistor circuit, calculate expected readings, and install current and volt meters to confirm calculations, short out some components and say what effect shorts will have; design DOL starter for motor with 2 stops and 2 starts, and o/l protection, connect up and operate; safely disconnect motor, test and reconnect, test after reconnection including DOR; wire up single phase dis board with 1 lighting and 1 power circuit selecting breakers, cables, etc and run in mix of flex plastic conduit and rigid including offset bend.

Think that was it - good luck (revise the theory )
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi cionnlocha,

I did mine with Vic Uni (and because they never originally included practical's, only did this last month). There was some theory questions; identify parts of transformer and test; set up dc resistor circuit, calculate expected readings, and install current and volt meters to confirm calculations, short out some components and say what effect shorts will have; design DOL starter for motor with 2 stops and 2 starts, and o/l protection, connect up and operate; safely disconnect motor, test and reconnect, test after reconnection including DOR; wire up single phase dis board with 1 lighting and 1 power circuit selecting breakers, cables, etc and run in mix of flex plastic conduit and rigid including offset bend.

Think that was it - good luck (revise the theory )
Cheers old sparkles,

What kind of theory should I look over, i'm fairly worried about the assessment.
Kind regards
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cionnlocha
Cheers old sparkles,

What kind of theory should I look over, i'm fairly worried about the assessment.
Kind regards
There was dc theory - resistors in series and parallel; leading and lagging in circuits, and pf correction; volt drops; 3 phase power.

Sorry can't remember too much - I was advised to get the electrical trade principles book which I managed to buy second hand off gumtree cheap. It definitely helped that I'd browsed over a lot - the pass mark is 80% I think.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There was dc theory - resistors in series and parallel; leading and lagging in circuits, and pf correction; volt drops; 3 phase power.

Sorry can't remember too much - I was advised to get the electrical trade principles book which I managed to buy second hand off gumtree cheap. It definitely helped that I'd browsed over a lot - the pass mark is 80% I think.
Cheers Old Sparkles,

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davwilson84
hey guys.... and hello sparkyjames.... thanks heaps for posting the indepth explanation of your assessment that you did in Brisbane with future skills. I am doing my assessment with them in 2 weeks, and your post has been a massive help on what to revise, as I didn't know where to start...

There are a few areas that I didn't understand in full.... (probably because I don't do it in my day to day work)

----- u mention the dol starter with thermal overload on the control circuit... ive been revising this and how to draw it of the top of my head but after you have been asked to draw it u are required to then wire it and test it??? this is a bit hard for me to get my head around as ive never used them in my line of work and don't know where to start with revising ? any help would be much appreciated.

Also an IR test on a motor??? what did this entail? all ive done since finishing my apprentaship in England is bloody solar installs for 3 yrs in aus so my electrical brain is taking some time to get into gear again lol. but if I pass I will be posting every book ive read and youtube vid ive watched so that other fellow expats can see whats relevant and whats not :-)
Hi davewilson84

You will be required to wire a dol starter and then do an insulatom resistance test. Wiring is basically paint by numbers just remember what goes where and try to get a grasp on what you're actually doing. I hadn't done them since college either, you should be fine. The test is done over the windings to see if there's a short/fault but the motor is in star and you need to take out the links on u2 w2 and y2 it will make more sense when you're there.

Anyway just revise as much as possible as I'm sure the exam is varied.

Good luck
Old Jul 1st 2013, 8:23 pm
Am a Sparky get me outa ?

tombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nice

Hi guys sorry to jump on but this being last post and even tho I've been on here years still can't us it! I've got vetassess done it back 2008 but only looking to move now. With cert 3 that I've got you have to do the 12 month log book bollocks and only have right to brush up not very good at paying expensive bills in oz.
is there a faster way to get unrestricted license??
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by tombo1979
Hi guys sorry to jump on but this being last post and even tho I've been on here years still can't us it! I've got vetassess done it back 2008 but only looking to move now. With cert 3 that I've got you have to do the 12 month log book bollocks and only have right to brush up not very good at paying expensive bills in oz.
is there a faster way to get unrestricted license??
If you have a cert iii you may want to check with licensing in the state you move to. I have OTSR, and when I finish all the gap training and log book, I will get a cert iii to get the full A license so if that's what you were issued, you may be in a better position. If it's an OTSR recognising that you have met the skills of cert iii, but overseas only, then there are no shortcuts that I know of
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice

Does anyone have the DOL schematic with the start stop and thermal overload needed for the exam? Looking online and a lot seem very different in detail and layout, thanks!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pturpin1
Does anyone have the DOL schematic with the start stop and thermal overload needed for the exam? Looking online and a lot seem very different in detail and layout, thanks!
http://electricalnotes.wordpress.com...-line-starter/

http://www.electricneutron.com/wp-co...ta-diagram.pdf

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/liu/elec...otes/LL242.pdf

Last edited by steve`o; Jul 28th 2013 at 8:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.