Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Never Been to Cyprus

Never Been to Cyprus

Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

janinekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nice
Default Never Been to Cyprus

Hi I wonder if you could help. Myself and my partner are thinking of moving to cyprus. can you roughly tell me what living expenses are and how easy is it to get work. Im a housewife but my partner is a mechanical fitter on construction sites at the moment. Any help appreciated
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Never Been to Cyprus

Originally Posted by janinekidd
Hi I wonder if you could help. Myself and my partner are thinking of moving to cyprus. can you roughly tell me what living expenses are and how easy is it to get work. Im a housewife but my partner is a mechanical fitter on construction sites at the moment. Any help appreciated
Work is poor pay but cost of livining is less.I think before you go any further get out on a holiday and then come back and think.I am not trying to put you off i hope to move over soon.It may not be for you but if it is plan well ahead then go for it.
Tricia
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yummymummy150
Work is poor pay but cost of livining is less.I think before you go any further get out on a holiday and then come back and think.I am not trying to put you off i hope to move over soon.It may not be for you but if it is plan well ahead then go for it.
Tricia
Tricia is right, the pay is pretty lossy, but other things make up for this.

Construction here is a lot different that in UK. Try to get employment with a large international company. The company building the two new airports here are call Bouyges Baitment. Currently, they are building the airports, but may have a few other projects here in the furture.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

IAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to allIAN.K is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janinekidd
I assume that you are thinking of Southern Cyprus.I like Northern Cyprus which is the Turkish side and much much cheaper. Not as many opportunities though.It is worth considering.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IAN.K
I assume that you are thinking of Southern Cyprus.I like Northern Cyprus which is the Turkish side and much much cheaper. Not as many opportunities though.It is worth considering.

Ian
Must agree, having spent numerous holidays in southern Cyprus with the view of moving there, I cannot help but think that the over-development leaves a lot to be desired. May as well go to Blackpool.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnh009
Must agree, having spent numerous holidays in southern Cyprus with the view of moving there, I cannot help but think that the over-development leaves a lot to be desired. May as well go to Blackpool.
Hi yes john like the world over .there is a lot of development.As so many wish to go there they want homes, But 5min out of towns is still the real Cyprus
you must have got stuck in bar street .you have missed a lot of wonderfull places , i find something new every time we go, cant wait to stay next year.
Trica
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

budda1 will become famous soon enough

Don't bother, the Cypriots and the foreigner's are very rude and ignorant, (most of them) they drive like idiot's (20 road deaths so far this year), they are very sly and will do anything to extract money from you, you pay you get senario.......the country is full of every different culture trying to make a buck., anyway anyhow...... it's very shoddy, drugs and prostitutes are riff., the Hopsital's are pathetic, the staff in shops are extreemly rude, the food is ok., if it's not last week's, too much property for sale, too many expats moaning, it's very similar to spain, portugal etc., been coming here for 10 years and it's changed so much as everyone has gotten so greedy, such a shame as it was very peaceful and decent, but that's happening the world over, greed had taken over and kindness is very hard to come by. Sorry to be so honest, but have spent so much time here wondering whether to live here or not and it's taken 10 years to realise what a dump it is, yes it has sunshine but that's not all that much fun when the dust from the atmosphere gets on you're chest and there's no water either, every other day now the water is turned off, so lord knows what's going to happen in the future, it's very exspensive for very little return... I do hate saying it, but it's from my heart and I used to adore it here......just sold my flat and Im off to Australia at least the air is cleaner there..................
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by budda1
Don't bother, the Cypriots and the foreigner's are very rude and ignorant, (most of them) they drive like idiot's (20 road deaths so far this year), they are very sly and will do anything to extract money from you, you pay you get senario.......the country is full of every different culture trying to make a buck., anyway anyhow...... it's very shoddy, drugs and prostitutes are riff., the Hopsital's are pathetic, the staff in shops are extreemly rude, the food is ok., if it's not last week's, too much property for sale, too many expats moaning, it's very similar to spain, portugal etc., been coming here for 10 years and it's changed so much as everyone has gotten so greedy, such a shame as it was very peaceful and decent, but that's happening the world over, greed had taken over and kindness is very hard to come by. Sorry to be so honest, but have spent so much time here wondering whether to live here or not and it's taken 10 years to realise what a dump it is, yes it has sunshine but that's not all that much fun when the dust from the atmosphere gets on you're chest and there's no water either, every other day now the water is turned off, so lord knows what's going to happen in the future, it's very exspensive for very little return... I do hate saying it, but it's from my heart and I used to adore it here......just sold my flat and Im off to Australia at least the air is cleaner there..................
Hope you be happy in Aussie. Theres good and bad everywhere no where is heaven. Sure you found some good things to say to sell your flat.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Acually, yummymummy!!! I said nothing, a Slipriot (Cypriot) bought it within one day for his daughter, I did nothing but tell a friend I was thinking of selling... I thought the flat would be on the market for years like everybody elses and prepared myself for such, but there you go eh, obviously right time., right price!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by budda1
Acually, yummymummy!!! I said nothing, a Slipriot (Cypriot) bought it within one day for his daughter, I did nothing but tell a friend I was thinking of selling... I thought the flat would be on the market for years like everybody elses and prepared myself for such, but there you go eh, obviously right time., right price!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh well everyone happy then, Never came across that name for a Cypriot before. But the fact i wish to live in there country i hope i at least address people politly. (it sounds rude to me).Any way you tried it and its not for you but please let others decide .good luck.
Tricia
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

budda1,

I couldn't agree more with everything you say.

I can't wait to get back home next June. If I could make it any earlier I would.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:39 pm
Banned

Typhoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Honest_H
budda1,

I couldn't agree more with everything you say.

I can't wait to get back home next June. If I could make it any earlier I would.
Has it deteriated that much then , i loved it 2 years ago and now as i am fed up with being ripped of in Britain its my first choice . so can you tell me more . before i waste time and money going ?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Go and see, everyone has different experiences, stay for 3 months and may up you're own mind, you will see if it suits you..good luck
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Has it deteriated that much then , i loved it 2 years ago and now as i am fed up with being ripped of in Britain its my first choice . so can you tell me more . before i waste time and money going ?
As budda says, come over for a while and make your own mind up. Everyone has different experiences here, some good some bad.

You will notice a difference though in just about everything. Food, energy, petrol etc have all gone up, just as it has in the UK. The difference here is that the wages are still poor. My OH is an accountant, he works full time as do I and we still struggle.

I know its sad, but we were comparing our cost of living from 3 years ago when we first arrived to our cost of living now, and it has major differences. We then compared it to the cost of living in the UK from the year before we left and its around the same.

Its worldwide though, everything is going up everywhere.

I really don't want to put people off, I think everyone should try living in a different country at some point of their lives. They'd maybe see that the UK isn't such a bad place.

Everyone must make up their own minds. There is no harm in trying. We did and we've decided that its not for us. However, most of the friends we have here now, are all staying long term. Its working out for them. It's just not for us. I will never regret what we've done, its made us stronger people.

If you have a good business idea and are in the right place and work hard at it, things could be really good.

Good luck.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Oh., and by the way try and pick a part that has water for more than 60 hours a week, as it's a real pest not having water and I mean NO water.....gets rather tiresome and exspensive..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.