Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas mail from the uk - delivery times?

Christmas mail from the uk - delivery times?

Old Dec 18th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough
Default Christmas mail from the uk - delivery times?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is waiting for christmas parcels (or has received xmas parcels) from the UK? I'm wondering when they were posted, as i posted a parcel from ireland on the 3rd dec and it still has not arrived at my parents place in victoria. I know it is christmas and the weather in the uk wasn't great around the time i posted it which may have meant some delays, but i still would have thought it would have arrived by now.

My parcel actually has my mum's birthday present in it, which was on the 15th dec...looks like she'll be getting extra xmas presents instead now (thankfully i did the xmas shopping when i was in oz in Nov, so don't have to stress about them).

Thanks,
Mel.b
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas mail from the uk - delivery times?

My friend posted a letter to me from London, international signed for registered mail on 30th November...it arrived on Dec 17th! :curse: It has an SLA of 5 business days I think.

On the tracking details it was listed as leaving the UK very shortly after posting and personally I think Aus post is to blame, I am generally far from impressed with their services.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

I am still waiting for two things which were posted in the UK on December
3rd and haven't arrived yet.

On the other hand, I posted stuff from Oz to the UK on 9th December and it arrived in Scotland on the 14th Dec.

I wonder why it doesn't just take the same time either way? It is a LOT more expensive to post Oz-UK thank UK-OZ though.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

We've received things sent from UK, no problems. Last thing was posted in early December and took 1 week to arrive, which is about normal.

The weather conditions in UK have delayed mail in some areas, so it may also depend on where in the UK it was sent. The area from which our post was sent did not get that much snow in the first bout of it, but has a bit more now.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Well, I did wonder about the snow slowing it down, but then the stuff I sent to the same place in the UK got there quickly so I don't see how the snow wouldn't affect things both ways, if you see what I mean?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Well, I did wonder about the snow slowing it down, but then the stuff I sent to the same place in the UK got there quickly so I don't see how the snow wouldn't affect things both ways, if you see what I mean?
Possibly by different routes - the way international mail arrives at an address, may not be the same as how it is sent from that place. So going one way mail could be more delayed than the other due to closed airports, closed sorting office etc.

Also I notice you ask people about mail being sent from UK, yet the mail you haven't received was sent from Ireland.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Ireland? Nope, that must be another poster. All the mail I am referring to was sent to/from the same town in Scotland
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Ireland? Nope, that must be another poster. All the mail I am referring to was sent to/from the same town in Scotland
Oh yeah - mixed you up with the OP!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

My brother sent us a gift on December 10 from Cork..We got it this morning on the 19.Thats the second parcel we received on a Sunday.

Last edited by irishbloo; Dec 19th 2010 at 6:18 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Also I notice you ask people about mail being sent from UK, yet the mail you haven't received was sent from Ireland.
Exactly, Irish mail is not part of the uk mail, so asking about the uk mail is pointless. The postal servive is dreadful in Ireland, they are probably all on a teabreak now and considering a strike to ask for more money due to the snow!!!! Any state or semi-state service in Ireland is terrible, it always was!!! I honestly think that is part of the problem in the economy at the moment in Ireland. The public servants are over-paid and underworked
Sack them all and re-hire on new T+C's.
Rant over!!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Exactly, Irish mail is not part of the uk mail, so asking about the uk mail is pointless. The postal servive is dreadful in Ireland, they are probably all on a teabreak now and considering a strike to ask for more money due to the snow!!!! Any state or semi-state service in Ireland is terrible, it always was!!! I honestly think that is part of the problem in the economy at the moment in Ireland. The public servants are over-paid and underworked
Sack them all and re-hire on new T+C's.
Rant over!!!
The post from ireland to australia has to go through the uk, which is why i asked about the uk. I have received a parcel last week that was posted from oz which was posted after the one i sent. Normally to get a parcel from ireland to australia (& vice versa) takes 5 working days. Intrestingly it also takes 5 working days to receive a parcel sent from the uk to ireland, so i wouldn't be blaming the irish postal system. I'm putting the blame squarely with australia post / customs...it is obviously held up somewhere because they can't cope with the xmas demand.

Thanks to the other posters...obviously I'm not the ony one for who parcels/letters are taking a lot longer than normal.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Waiting for 3 items which HMV say were sent on 6/12. They give an estimated delivery time of 7-10 days so hopefully will arrive before Christmas
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

the snow here seems to be affecting mail even within UK.
The north part of UK has more or less been covered in snow for several weeks and apparently 4m parcels are awaiting delivery.

So hang in there- it might be a New Year present!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pomster
the snow here seems to be affecting mail even within UK.
The north part of UK has more or less been covered in snow for several weeks and apparently 4m parcels are awaiting delivery.

So hang in there- it might be a New Year present!
Oh dear. Might need to go to Plan B.....
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mel.b
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is waiting for christmas parcels (or has received xmas parcels) from the UK? I'm wondering when they were posted, as i posted a parcel from ireland on the 3rd dec and it still has not arrived at my parents place in victoria. I know it is christmas and the weather in the uk wasn't great around the time i posted it which may have meant some delays, but i still would have thought it would have arrived by now.

My parcel actually has my mum's birthday present in it, which was on the 15th dec...looks like she'll be getting extra xmas presents instead now (thankfully i did the xmas shopping when i was in oz in Nov, so don't have to stress about them).

Thanks,
Mel.b
2 parcels from Peterborough took 6 days and I am waiting for another 2 which are 9 days in. Cards from Lancaster took 5 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.