Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual national entering US on UK passport

Dual national entering US on UK passport

Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:38 am
Just Joined

abpel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual national entering US on UK passport

I have dual nationality - US and UK - but managed to lose my US passport last year, and just never got around to replacing is, as I always travel with my UK one. Have decided last minute to head to NY for new year, and realise that I am not supposed to enter the US on my non-US passport if I am citizen. Has anyone done this before, and will it even be possible, once they find out I am a US citizen trying to enter as a foreigner??
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual national entering US on UK passport

Originally Posted by abpel
I have dual nationality - US and UK - but managed to lose my US passport last year, and just never got around to replacing is, as I always travel with my UK one. Have decided last minute to head to NY for new year, and realise that I am not supposed to enter the US on my non-US passport if I am citizen. Has anyone done this before, and will it even be possible, once they find out I am a US citizen trying to enter as a foreigner??
Don't do it.

Seriously.

(PS: Did you not report the loss of your passport?)
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Head to the US Embassy in London before you go. They can produce you a US passport immediately. The ones they produce at such short notice have limited pages and validity, but will work just fine for this trip and a few future ones. Say you *just* lost it otherwise they might be a little irritated you didn't try to sort it out earlier.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ts/urgent.html

My US wife had her passport stolen, and the US Embassy were going to produce one of these quick passport since we were flying to the US in just a few days. That was until the individual that stole it (it was in my laptop bag, so I lost my laptop and my passport too) clearly felt a little bad about the whole thing. It was actually sent to the US Embassy in London and they were able to actually hand it back to my wife!

No luck with my passport and I had to get a new one, but you can't win them all!

Last edited by hobbes79; Dec 28th 2007 at 8:41 am.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Say you *just* lost it otherwise they might be a little irritated you didn't try to sort it out earlier.
Oh... by all means... lie to the US officials to get what you want. Good advice... NOT!

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

There is a requirement for US citizens to use a US passport to enter the country, but it's not very clear what happens if one doesn't. According to http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html#Passport the consequences are not very serious:

"A US citizen who attempts to enter the US without a US passport, where one is required, may, in theory, be subject to an administrative "waiver fee" (basically a fine with a fancy name). Previously, this fee amounted to $100 or more; at the present time, it appears that no fee is charged [22 CFR § 22.1, item 6], though a fee could in theory be reinstated at any time."
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Head to the US Embassy in London before you go. They can produce you a US passport immediately. The ones they produce at such short notice have limited pages and validity, but will work just fine for this trip and a few future ones. Say you *just* lost it otherwise they might be a little irritated you didn't try to sort it out earlier.
They may want to see a police report if one claims a passport is lost.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 28th 2007 at 2:00 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
There is a requirement for US citizens to use a US passport to enter the country, but it's not very clear what happens if one doesn't. According to http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html#Passport the consequences are not very serious:

"A US citizen who attempts to enter the US without a US passport, where one is required, may, in theory, be subject to an administrative "waiver fee" (basically a fine with a fancy name). Previously, this fee amounted to $100 or more; at the present time, it appears that no fee is charged [22 CFR § 22.1, item 6], though a fee could in theory be reinstated at any time."
Airline may refuse boarding if they see a birthplace in the U.S. on a foreign passport.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:09 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Airline may refuse boarding if they see a birthplace in the U.S. on a foreign passport.
I don't think the OP mentioned being born in the US.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh... by all means... lie to the US officials to get what you want. Good advice... NOT!

Ian
*just* is a subjective term with no universally accepted time scale. In fact, I've found myself saying "just last year I visited dubai". Or "I just stubbed my toe on the coffee table".

I didn't say "tell the US officials you lost it on the 23rd Dec at 2:12PM in a freak yachting accident".

See the difference?

Last edited by hobbes79; Dec 28th 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

*just* is a subjective term with no universally accepted time scale. In fact, I've found myself saying "just last year I visited dubai". Or "I just stubbed my toe on the coffee table".
Actually, in the context you describe, "just" is an adverb and describes an immediacy with respect to the word or phrase that it modifies. So, "just last year" means "in the immediate last year"... still, something that happened a year ago. To push this to the next level, "I just lost my passport" means that it happened within some immediately recent time period - and therefore *not* the truth as far as the OP is concerned.

If you're going to use words, feel free to use them properly.

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in the context you describe, "just" is an adverb and describes an immediacy with respect to the word or phrase that it modifies. So, "just last year" means "in the immediate last year"... still, something that happened a year ago. To push this to the next level, "I just lost my passport" means that it happened within some immediately recent time period - and therefore *not* the truth as far as the OP is concerned.

If you're going to use words, feel free to use them properly.

Ian
Does it matter? Governments lie to their citizens and citizens lie to their governments. Posters who are not citizens should be cautioned against it for the possible severe consequences. However, everyone else should feel free to lie away as long as it ain't sworn testimony. Or at least be economical with the truth.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I have heard of that too. I wonder what happens to children of diplomats, who do not acquire US citizenship through birth in the US.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Or at least be economical with the truth.
Subvert the dominant paradigm... that's what I always say!

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

within some immediately recent time period
Define "recent time period". Yesterday? Last year? 4 seconds ago? And here was me thinking subjective terms had no defined scale - I didn't realize someone out there has defined all subjective terms. Cool.

If you could fill me in on the definition of the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1. Old
2. Young
3. Expensive
4. Hairy
5. Complicated

For your benefit, I'll assume in your world of omniscience, a "recent time period" is yesterday, since that makes your point beyond reproach? I hope to go there one day myself soon (and by soon, I mean in just the next few days, not next year... though that would be just 4 days, so I guess... oh boy... ).

Another one... sorry :

6. Soon

Ooh, the OP only has to wait 4 days

So, "just last year" means "in the immediate last year"... still, something that happened a year ago
Problem solved, since it doesn't actually mean it happened 365 days ago by your own definition of "in the immediate last year". Oh dear.

If you're going to create and then use your own definitions, feel free to apply them properly.

Last edited by hobbes79; Dec 28th 2007 at 9:03 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:14 am
Account Closed

If you're going to create and then use your own definitions, feel free to apply them properly.
I didn't actually create the definition - check out www.dictionary.com... almost as useful as Google. But hey... your comeback was quite good... so full marks for you!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.